Re: LG Bootleg

Talk about bootleg games in this forum.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

I have the greatest LeafGreen bootleg ever.
It has a really nice title screen, saves perfectly fine, and rarely crosses the border from awkwardly-spoken english into engrish. Though on the downside there are occasional text truncations but it isn't too bad. If only Telefang got this treatment then people would actually want to play it.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I've heard about this one. Nice title screen huh? Is it the same as the Japanese version or the English version, or is a different one? And PROPER English? Why couldn't they do that to Telefang? Is it still worse than the REAL LeafGreen, though? And does it have any glitches that the REAL LeafGreen doesn't?

And where did you find it?
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257 wrote: I've heard about this one. Nice title screen huh? Is it the same as the Japanese version or the English version, or is a different one? And PROPER English? Why couldn't they do that to Telefang? Is it still worse than the REAL LeafGreen, though? And does it have any glitches that the REAL LeafGreen doesn't?

And where did you find it?
Title Screen: Yep! A title screen that actually looks like effort was put in. Also it looks better than the official English version.
Original Rom: Seems to be based on the Japanese one.
Quality of Translation: The English in it isn't perfect but it isn't bad with just the occasional bit of Engrish. (well, as far as I have seen anyway)
Glitches: Only the text truncation bug so far.
Where Found: A game store that sells games for most old and new consoles near where I live. I saw it and noticed the lack of a shiny sticker. I asked to see how it played and was like "OMG bootleg! Must.. have..". This forum does that to you. :lol:
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Better than the official English title screen? That's rare... and it's definitely better than a blue badly drawn snake!

Also, I noticed that long with the lack of a shiny sticker, the cartridge is black.

Two more things... does the cartridge look different from other GBA games? Is it thicker and does the Game Boy Advance logo on top look slightly different? Bootlegs often look different...

And can you show at least one screenshot of the game?
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257,May 19 2008 wrote: Better than the official English title screen? That's rare... and it's definitely better than a blue badly drawn snake!

Also, I noticed that long with the lack of a shiny sticker, the cartridge is black.

Two more things... does the cartridge look different from other GBA games? Is it thicker and does the Game Boy Advance logo on top look slightly different? Bootlegs often look different...

And can you show at least one screenshot of the game?
Good Title Screen: Yep! Well at least in my opinion.
Black Cart: Yes it is a standard black GBA cart from what I saw.
Cart Differences: Nope, standard black GBA cart. Though I could check again when I get home. It isn't any thicker. I didn't notice any signs of a bootleg short of the black colour of the cart and the non-shiny label sticker. If you didn't know better you would mistake it for the real deal. In fact the reason why I didn't get it earlier was because I mistook it for a legit copy.
Screenshot: I can only take it with a camera and I need to not get any glare on the screen when I take it while still being light enough to take it. You will have to wait a while.

Are there any good devices out there for dumping GBA roms from carts btw?

EDIT: Crappy screenshot time!
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

From what I can see, that Pokémon logo looks a bit weird. At least they put some effort into it and made it look colorful...

And I'm not sure what ROM dumping devices are good for GBA. I've never used any.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257 wrote: From what I can see, that Pokémon logo looks a bit weird. At least they put some effort into it and made it look colorful...

And I'm not sure what ROM dumping devices are good for GBA. I've never used any.
The text at the top is part of the text saying "Pokemon Leaf Green", it isn't the logo. The logo is on the bottom, it is the one used for the Japanese version. This title screen looked good, the Japanese one did too. The English version looked boring in comparison.

Would be nice to get a dump of this, I'll search for a GBA ROM dumper.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Sorry, it's hard to see with that screenshot. That green text still looks weird, though...

And you go ahead and do that. Good luck with that...
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257 wrote: And you go ahead and do that. Good luck with that...
Thanks. If I can get a dump of it then I can get some nicer screens.

Oh and I checked it out. The cart is actually a little darker than a normal GBA cart but other than that it shares the same appearance, feel, and shape of an official GBA cart.
Sora444(imported)

Post by Sora444(imported) »

Is it Possible to Trade with Legit Carts of the Game?