Re: Telefang 2 Power Translation

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

I was wondering why it was like that, I can't even find the fonts in TLP though so I don't know how they'd be changed or why x__x that was annoying me that I couldn't use a comma there for whatever reason but I kept the semicolon since it was the best substitute grammatically..

EDIT: the thing that confused me most about the comma-turning-into-semicolon was that in the dialog text, it works correctly XP
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I'll fix the comma/semicolon thing soon... and I forgot to say, nice patch :)
lapeirousia19(imported)

Post by lapeirousia19(imported) »

[...]
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

All right, I just started hacking this game again. I have bad news and good news. I'll start with the bad news first so that I can get it over with (though it's not THAT bad).

Well, I couldn't find the tileset to change the semicolon to the comma. It may be compressed. Which means that Parrotto is stuck with the "Cannot fly; but has great speed."

OK, the good news... I found out how to edit pointers in THIS game too! I haven't experimented with it too much yet, but I did manage to do this:

Yep, I made it longer! I just put the text in a VERY LARGE chunk of unused space at the very end of the ROM. And since GBA games allow you to place pointers anywhere you want in the ROM, I had no problem redirecting it! The ROM has LOTS of empty space at the end (and I noticed that the original hacker did this too). I also lengthened Rupicola's dialogue too. I'm going to play with more things later. Fun, isn't it?

I think I'm going to add in all those missing apostrophes at the beginning of the game now... <_<

EDIT: OK, I fixed the intro text at the beginning (I added apostrophes so it looks better, and changed "E-MON" to "DENJUU") and fixed a couple of other things (such as changing "NAM" to "NAME" when starting a new file). I didn't change much else, because I spent a very long time editing pointers. Thing is, once you figure out how to edit pointers, it's easy, but it doesn't stop it from becoming VERY tedious. This is going to take a LONG time to edit more text. If I ever manage to finish it. It's really convenient that there's that large empty space at the end of the ROM, though...

No wonder why some games are released in the U.S. many months after they're released in Japan.

And I uploaded a patch too.
lapeirousia19(imported)

Post by lapeirousia19(imported) »

Funny!
ignaciokidscool(imported)

Post by ignaciokidscool(imported) »

Good screenshots.
Kid Sonic(imported)

Post by Kid Sonic(imported) »

Nice pics.
Kid Sonic(imported)

Post by Kid Sonic(imported) »

Who's the pink bird with Doon?
M3FTW(imported)

Post by M3FTW(imported) »

Just a little curious, but the text is a tad... large. Usually it is bigger in Japanese games, since it typically takes them fewer characters to make most words (and their naming screens tend to be a tad short as well... contrary to this game... unless one of you hacked to change that?). Anyway, I'm just trying to find out if you guys are going to make the font smaller, or involve uppercase and lowercase. I realize you would then have to rewrite the parameters of the letters, but then it would be a tad more readable. Then it would allow you more letters per line, but I believe you DO have to rewrite some other parts of the game's code to allow this and not make the game completely bug out.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

M3FTW wrote: Just a little curious, but the text is a tad... large. Usually it is bigger in Japanese games, since it typically takes them fewer characters to make most words (and their naming screens tend to be a tad short as well... contrary to this game... unless one of you hacked to change that?). Anyway, I'm just trying to find out if you guys are going to make the font smaller, or involve uppercase and lowercase. I realize you would then have to rewrite the parameters of the letters, but then it would be a tad more readable. Then it would allow you more letters per line, but I believe you DO have to rewrite some other parts of the game's code to allow this and not make the game completely bug out.
To reduce the size of the font requires asm hacking. Unfortunately this is a skill that none of us possess at the moment.