Re: (Incomplete) Telefang English Translation

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Blastile(imported)

Post by Blastile(imported) »

I'm thankful you made this, but unfortunately after I combine the patch file and the .GBC file, the game will no longer load. I've tried it on all emulators too... How did other people get it to work so smoothly?
Thanks,
-Blastile.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

It works for me... sounds strange that it isn't working for you. For starters, which version are you using? This patch is meant for Power Version, I don't think it's been tested for Speed Version. And what program are you using to apply the patch?
Blastile(imported)

I'm using Patch version 22 on Telefang Power (made sure it wasn't Pokemon Diamond I had by accident) with a Visualboy Advance. It doesn't really matter what emulator I use because it fails on all of them. To patch the rom I use IPSWIN. At the end of patching, it says it is successful, then when I go to load the new patched rom all I get to see is 'battery loaded' and nothing else.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

...I never bother to apply the patches, since VBA uses the patch automatically if you name the ips the same as the rom file. ._.; *lazy*
Blastile(imported)

Thanks a lot, I'll try that :P
Hope it works :(
Edit: It doesn't work still.. I renamed the IPS file and put it inside the rom file's zip, set the emulator to auto-patch, but nothing's changed. The file seems to load now though, but that's because it hasn't patched.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Here are a few possibilities:

- When you are using IPSWIN, are you applying the patch to a ZIP file, or a GBC file? If you are applying it to a ZIP file, that's the most likely problem. You want to apply it to a GBC file (so open the ZIP file and copy the GBC file inside it, then place it in the same directory as your ZIP file).
- If you are "soft patching" with VBA, place the IPS file in the same directory as the ZIP file, not inside the ZIP file.
- There are two releases of Telefang (one that came with the Power Antenna accessory, and one that didn't). Each version has a different game code; one version of Power is BTXJ and the other version of Power is BXTJ. The patch was made with the BTXJ one. Check which version you have (I think in VBA, you can go to File -> Rom Information or something along those lines).
- Maybe the problem is with the patch itself. Try older patches and see if that works at all. If older ones work, then the problem might be the newest patch... though I doubt it.
Blastile(imported)

Okay, thanks for your help. I was putting it inside the zip file, wasn't sure if the VBA was clever enough to find it in a folder. The problem could be with my game version since the non-patched rom works fine, but the patched one doesn't. I'll be very happy if it works finally. :rolleyes:

Okay, found out that I've got the wrong version. Took me ages to find that rom, too... being lazy and not searching the forum (not really, I had a good look but can't find the answer) does anyone know a good place to download the correct version?
Thanks again,
-Blastile
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blastile wrote: Okay, found out that I've got the wrong version. Took me ages to find that rom, too... being lazy and not searching the forum (not really, I had a good look but can't find the answer) does anyone know a good place to download the correct version?
Thanks again,
-Blastile
Look on the previous page (page 21) of this thread.
Blastile(imported)

Woohoo, thanks :) You're a great help. Ima noob for asking so much and being offtopic (kinda). -_-
Malias(imported)

Post by Malias(imported) »

Hey, I saw your post for help at romhacking.net and thought I could lend a hand. I've looked at the game and have figured out the compression routine for the compressed graphics and the nametables. Because I have too much free time, I went ahead and coded a utility that will decompress both the graphics and the nametables. That can be found here. If anyone is interested in how the compression works, I've also posted my notes.

I'm also working on a complementary compression program. It's halfway finished. Anyway, enjoy.