Digital Devil Saga

Even though Telefang is a great game, there are other great games out there! Discuss games other than Telefang in this forum.
StellarWind(imported)

Re: Digital Devil Saga

Post by StellarWind(imported) »

Rend! Slaughter! Devour your enemies! There is no other way to survive... You cannot escape your hunger, warriors of purgatory!

Though not as obscure out of Japan as it used to be (thanks, largely, to the Persona series), the Shin Megami Tensei metaseries is still not exactly blatantly everywhere - and between Persona 4 and the latest DS incarnation, Devil Survivor, two of the best games that ever carried the title tend to slip under the radar.

They are Digital Devil Saga and Digital Devil Saga 2, also known in Japan as the Avatar Tuner series.

Released in Japan in 2004, North America in 2005 and PAL regions in 2006 for the Playstation 2, Digital Devil Saga takes place in a world called the Junkyard - a post-apocalyptic cyberpunk realm, eternally rainswept, where tribes clash with each other for territorial domination in a war that has gone on for, seemingly, forever - a war for one clan to triumph over all the other clans and ascend to 'Nirvana', perceived by many as a paradise.

However, during a border skirmish between the Embryon tribe and the Vanguards tribe, the two tribes discovered something has changed - a mysterious pod-like object, never before see in in the Junkyard, materialized out of no where - and eventually erupted, striking all combatants with light.

When the Embryon reawakened they found themselves in the field of a carnage, with the Vanguards gone, with strange marks upon their bodies - and on top of it all, with a mysterious girl - with no identifying tag ring and black hair - a hair color never seen before in the Junkyard - lying where the pod used to stand.

Opting to travel to the Vanguard's territory to press the rival tribe's leader for questions - the Embryon soon discovered that much more than the appearance of the markings changed - the denizens of the Junkyard now seem to have gained the power to transform into demonic forms - and an uncontrollable hunger for the flesh of other demons. And another thing changed - one by one, the Embryon find themselves awakening into identities. Personalities. Concepts that were completely foreign are vaguely known to them, and they are uncertain as to why.

And even greater is the mystery of Angel, the mysterious being who seems to have taken control of the Karma Temple, the ruling body of the Junkyard - who declares the long stalemate must be broken and the rules were changed - now one tribe must devour all others and bring the black-haired girl to Nirvana.

Something very unnatural is happening - and not just in the way that the Embryon have expected...

2 is an immediate sequel to the events of 1 and to reveal anything about it ahead of time, well, that would be major spoilers.

So, has anyone else here played these games? (And NOT given up after watching a random boss that looks like a humanoid Christmas Tree summon unicorns?)
ChaosProductions(imported)

Post by ChaosProductions(imported) »

oh man this is my favorite game in my favorite series

I really dig this games (yes, this -games-) a lot. They have excellent characters and a superbly streamlined usage of Nocturne's Press Turn system. Sure, I like my demon fusion, I like my conversation, but I play SMT for the expertly-crafted battles and Digital Devil Saga delivers a concentrated dose of nothing but this.

Ace choice, friend.
MasterZX(imported)

Post by MasterZX(imported) »

This games where really awesome, I own Digital Devil Saga US Version, and It Rocks, Mick was a Fat bastard!
StellarWind(imported)

Post by StellarWind(imported) »

"Serph, what was it Heat said he'd do back there?"
"It went like this..."
"Yep... We'll tear you apart, you fat freak!"

Certainly one of the best scenes in the first game. xD
Tkallab(imported)

Post by Tkallab(imported) »

This is from Megami Tensei, right? I have devil's survivor and strange journey.