How do bootleggers make the carts?

Talk about bootleg games in this forum.
Sonic_Girl(imported)

Re: How do bootleggers make the carts?

Post by Sonic_Girl(imported) »

I'm just curious, but how do bootleggers make the cartriges? I mean I have'nt seen too many bootleg carts with the ame boy color header right. Oh and off topic but MY SCHOOL IS OUT!!! YES!!!! :D :P
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

I'd imagine it isn't too hard to get the equipment to make the plastic molds or whatever, especially since there are already so many bootlegged plastic toys etc. I don't really know anything about making the chips inside, but after dissecting a few fake and real GBC carts I've noticed that the fake chips are about half the size of official ones and extremely cheap-looking.

Actually, one of my bootleg carts won't open up even when the screw is removed, and there's a string sticking out of the bottom. What it's doing in there, I will probably never know Image
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

What I wonder is how they get the game itself on the cartridge. Do they somehow dump ROMs from the computer to the cartridge?

Oh and one more thing. Whenever I see pictures of bootleg carts, there are always these weird black blobs inside the cartridges. Here's one I randomly found on Google:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17131966@N00/1236947675

Right in the dead center.
Sonic_Girl(imported)

So I'm not the only one who's wondered this, that's good. I honestly felt kinda stupid asking.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Hm, none of mine have random blobs in them, although I believe that's basically to glue crap onto the chip (although like I said, I don't know anything about how the chips are manufactured.) I'd think actually copying the ROM to the cart is probably the easiest part, they probably just use flash cart devices.

From my rudimentary understanding, isn't the cart just like a flash drive or something that the console loads from? I think I've read about some equipment where you can copy as many ROMs as will fit onto a blank cart and it just loads a menu with titles when you put it in your Gameboy or whatever (like the 150-in-1 carts are set up.)
Sonic_Girl(imported)

RacieB wrote: Hm, none of mine have random blobs in them, although I believe that's basically to glue crap onto the chip (although like I said, I don't know anything about how the chips are manufactured.) I'd think actually copying the ROM to the cart is probably the easiest part, they probably just use flash cart devices.

From my rudimentary understanding, isn't the cart just like a flash drive or something that the console loads from? I think I've read about some equipment where you can copy as many ROMs as will fit onto a blank cart and it just loads a menu with titles when you put it in your Gameboy or whatever (like the 150-in-1 carts are set up.)
But how do they get the cartridges? I mean serouisly. Oh you mentioning the 150-in-1 cart reminded me of something. I think I might've found a site that will do customized carts. I was thinking of asking them to make me a complete telefang series cart.

http://www.gameboymulticarts.com/

But I can't find out how to contact them :angry: ! Yeah, I know that their bootleggers (Honestly their site layout even says homemade :rolleyes: ) But yeah, I have a ton of games I would love on a multicart :( !
Locololo(imported)

Post by Locololo(imported) »

Sonic_Girl wrote:
RacieB,May 21 2009 wrote: Hm, none of mine have random blobs in them, although I believe that's basically to glue crap onto the chip (although like I said, I don't know anything about how the chips are manufactured.) I'd think actually copying the ROM to the cart is probably the easiest part, they probably just use flash cart devices.

But how do they get the cartridges? I mean serouisly. Oh you mentioning the 150-in-1 cart reminded me of something. I think I might've found a site that will do customized carts. I was thinking of asking them to make me a complete telefang series cart.

http://www.gameboymulticarts.com/

But I can't find out how to contact them :angry: ! Yeah, I know that their bootleggers (Honestly their site layout even says homemade :rolleyes: ) But yeah, I have a ton of games I would love on a multicart :( !
i found where the contact for request thingy is ^_^ the button is at top top of the home site page itll say customer support, and a cellphone pic on it