the part that i couldn't get to

Discuss anything about the wonderful GBC Telefang games here!
RacieB

Re: the part that i couldn't get to

Post by RacieB »

I bet you could with an, uh.. flash cart kit? I forget exactly but basically it's the cord etc that you use to upload/download ROMs to or from physical carts. I believe you can copy a save file this way as well but I'm not totally sure, they're expensive anyway (around $125 iirc.)

Anyhow, trying to replace your battery BEFORE it's dead = lost save. So don't!
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

RacieB wrote: Anyhow, trying to replace your battery BEFORE it's dead = lost save. So don't!
Figured as much, though I was hopeful for a different power source during the replacement to stop the save from dying while backing up the save just in case. ;)
I would like a way to do that if you have any ideas.
RacieB wrote:I bet you could with an, uh.. flash cart kit? I forget exactly but basically it's the cord etc that you use to upload/download ROMs to or from physical carts. I believe you can copy a save file this way as well but I'm not totally sure, they're expensive anyway (around $125 iirc.)
My save is well worth that. :D 600 hours of play and all of my pokemon from all of my first and second gen pokemon games, I think it is worth it.

Also can you put the save data back onto the cart after transferring it onto the computer? I really want it to stay as a cart.
Typhlosion(imported)

Post by Typhlosion(imported) »

I'm one of the lucky ones. My Pokémon Silver save file from Oct. 2000 is still around. I don't entirely know why that is.

Also, all (licensed) GBA games use EEPROM to save, so there's no internal battery to worry about (unless there's one included for a clock like in Pokémon R/S/E, but that won't affect your save file anyway).

There are two big reasons why the dead battery problem affects Gold and Silver much more than Crystal. The first and most obvious one is that Crystal is two years newer than Gold & Silver, so the battery hasn't had as long to die out. The second is that Crystal uses CR2032 batteries while Gold and Silver (and I'll bet Telefang Power and Speed) use CR2025 batteries. CR2032s last about 40% longer than CR2025s, but the diameter is the same (although not the thickness), allowing one to usually be able to replace a dead CR2025 with a CR2032.

But yes, bootleg games usually use a cheap battery with roughly the same form factor but much less stored power. It's possible to replace any game's battery, provided you have the proper screwdriver and adequate soldering skills.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Typhlosion wrote: I'm one of the lucky ones. My Pokémon Silver save file from Oct. 2000 is still around. I don't entirely know why that is.
Same here, but I am getting somewhat paranoid about losing my save data now.

EDIT: Yay! My data will be safe for a fair while because the time was unset, yay for gold and silver time reset function. :D
Sora444(imported)

Post by Sora444(imported) »

Typhlosion wrote: Also, all (licensed) GBA games use EEPROM to save, so there's no internal battery to worry about (unless there's one included for a clock like in Pokémon R/S/E, but that won't affect your save file anyway).
There was a bug in R/S where Berries would not grow after the gameplay time hit 99:99. Happen to my Ruby And I didn't own the Bonus Disc for Jirachi which fixes the bug :(

On Emerald the Berry Bug WAS Fixed
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

I know Colo and XD would also fix the bug, as well as Emerald, if you linked Ruby/Sapphire to them.