Gonta no Okiraku Daibouken

Even though Telefang is a great game, there are other great games out there! Discuss games other than Telefang in this forum.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Re: Gonta no Okiraku Daibouken

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

A little known and interesting Japanese game that I thought i'd write about, since there's not much information about it. Gonta is a labrador from a Japanese dog food commercial (based on the Gonta brand dog food in Japan) and he got his own gameboy color game in 2000. You explore the overworld as Gonta, playing different minigames, talking to dogs and humans for clues or answering small quizzes, and searching for items by sniffing them out and digging them up. The best way to describe it would be that it's a bit like an item quest RPG. Some of the items you find include types of dog food (all based on the Japanese Gonta dog food brand) that give you skills such as smashing rocks or moving a particularly overweight dog out of your way (namely a dog named Pukupuku who's supposed to be on a diet). It's very simple for the most part, but the only problem is that it's very dialogue based, so it can sometimes be hard to figure out what to do next.

From translating Japanese websites, the main story of the game is that Gonta's son has a diary that has been stolen by someone and you have to get it back by searching for clues. When you find diary entries you can also view them, and there's also a book that shows all the items you've collected.

Official Gonta website: http://www.gonta.co.jp/index.html
Gamefaqs article: http://www.gamefaqs.com/gbc/578211-gonta-no-okiraku-daibouken/images
A couple of screenshots on the Tsutaya website: http://shop.tsutaya.co.jp/product-pic/4532224002134/?shotNo=1
TimeWalker(imported)

Post by TimeWalker(imported) »

Weird why they'd use a mascot for a game like this, but whatever.
It does sound a bit interesting. However for someone that can't read Japanese, it would be quite hard to play this game. Afterall, you have to read the clues and find out what to do next... well, Trial and Error works too.

The 3rd screenshot on the Tsutaya website... is Gonta farting on Blacky?!
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

Actually it's not rare to have character based games if they're popular enough, especially since Japan loves mascot characters. Gonta must be a well known enough brand in Japan for them to have made a game. With the dialogue I mostly used trial and error for the quizzes, but I was able to read some parts of the dialogue and the character names. A lot of them have very english names surprisingly, and there's a building where there are dogs named after the english days of the week (except for Sunday).
wrote:The 3rd screenshot on the Tsutaya website... is Gonta farting on Blacky?!
Yes, he is xD Japan has a thing for toilet and body based humor, they seem to be more open about it there. It's supposed to be comic, I guess. The game that Gonta and Blacky are playing in that screenshot is Rock, Paper and Scissors (or Janken as it's known in Japan). If you win the round I believe you can unleash different attacks. Gonta also hits Blacky with a fan in another screenshot.
Torchickens(imported)

Post by Torchickens(imported) »

Reminds me of the games Karamuchou no Daijiken and Karamuchou wa Oosawagi! Porinkkis to Okashina Nakamatachi, which were published by Star★Fish. They were games sponsored by Japanese snack company Koikeya, which were only sold at convenience stores to promote the popular Karumu-Cho crisps.

More about the game here.

A special edition of the second game was released as Karamuchou wa Oosawagi! Okawari! exclusively via the Nintendo Power service. It featured some different puzzles.