Good sequel?

Discuss the little known GBA sequel to Telefang here!
myrle(imported)

Re: Good sequel?

Post by myrle(imported) »

I've known about this game for a while, but I haven't checked it out until recently... I've only played for a few minutes, but I'm already impressed. The graphics are lovely and I love how they left in random details the original games had (bouncing, cutting grass while running, etc). To anyone who's played through this; overall, do you think it's a good sequel to Telefang?
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Yeah, it's an excellent sequel imo. Graphics are excellent (I especially love that each Denjuu gets two front and two back sprites,) items are actually useful beyond evolutions, the music is good, the battle system is tweaked so attacks aren't based off what types the Denjuu are, reform evolution can be reversed, etc.

The main complaint I have against it is that not all of the Denjuu from the first games were included, although they did get a fair amount in, also their evolutions got tweaked. Although, I sort of think of it as like.. Telefang 2 takes place in a different "area code" of the Denjuu world, meaning different Denjuu live there and the recurring ones are more or less rare than in the first game's "area code" (ie there are caves full of Andios, Kanzou, Ornithogalum, Liriope, etc, but only one Bashou.)
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Yes, it really is excellent. The battle system is a LOT better and a lot more diversified -- now instead of a certain Denjuu being completely helpless against another Denjuu that has a type advantage over it, now it can attack things that it is normally weak against. The original system is like sticking multiple attacks on the same Pokémon, like a Charizard with Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Ember/Fire Spin, which can't do much. This new system feels a bit reminiscent to Pokémon, though, and even a lot of the type match-ups are the same (rock is weak to water, water is weak to electric, and so on). Still better than the original Telefang, though...

Graphics are also very impressive. I like how the battle scenes have backgrounds depending on the location rather than just a gradient with colors depending on the location. You get caves, canyons, forests, beaches, and so on. The maps are also good looking, and landscapes such as caves are nice. The Denjuu are also awesome looking, and the ones that were in the original Telefang look much better than before (I didn't like how Osie looked before, but now he looks REALLY cool and colorful).

Some parts of the game are hard, though. Mainly the mazes. Yes, this game has a LOT of mazes, and I'm only in the middle of the game and I thought they're a LOT harder than the ones at the END of the first game. And those mazes were difficult to begin with... right now I'm in a color coded maze in a desert, and you have to go in different caves and hit switches to navigate through the maze.

Some battles are difficult, particularly the trainers (are they called trainers? I forget). They have Denjuu with tough moves/stats, and you have to use the right Denjuu or use lots of items like herbs. Speaking of that, I really like how opposing trainers don't use them every battle (seriously, you have no idea how much I hate seeing Gym Leaders in Ruby/Sapphire and beyond use Max Potions on Pokémon with 1 HP left). The rival was difficult, for one thing. And the bosses... overall this game is harder than the original Telefang.

It's really fun, though. I've been spending a large part of my last three weeks or so playing it.
LiamBrady(imported)

Post by LiamBrady(imported) »

I love the sequel, but I'm not a fan of the fact that there's so few of the old Denjuu's.
The new ones are... Allright.

I love the GBC versions more thou.
Can't help it. I just like it better.