Bugsite Map Rips

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of other Smilesoft/Rocket games here.
FailureBiWinning

Re: Bugsite Map Rips

Post by FailureBiWinning »

I AM THE JANKASAURUS REX (Glad to know my gift was usable on the forums)!

I'm getting close to finishing my map ripping spree (at least of all the ones used ingame); I might whip up another little gift in my spare time as a form of celebration (with me almost being done with this game, how can I not celebrate? The party animal within is HUNGRY!).

Anyhoo; I got some REALLY colorful maps this time: the ENTIRE TRINITY BUILDING. ALL OF IT (Including a minor color fix for the Trinity Building Lobby map). This RAR contains the aforementioned fix along with the Trinity Control Device, Trinity Building Volcano, and the entirety of the Trinity Building Maze (named as such because... you have no idea how easy it is to get lost in this place). The Trinity Building is basically Dark Castle's little brother: floor covered in animated color patters. The difference? Unlike "Castle Weldehide" (as my girlfriend calls it), this maps animations are generally all the same whereas Dark Castle's floor is basically a pixel equivalent to an inkblot test in motion (the animated tiles often use different animations that trick the eyes and make ripping that place more of a problem than it should be).
Simple sprite editor - sometimes I do not-so-simple edits.

:jank: :ghostfree: :p01:
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Wow those colors are nuts @_@
FailureBiWinning

I'll never understand why they chose to design that map the way that they did... especially since there are other ways to produce bright, vibrant maps that don't involved heavy use of clashing colors and animations (Telefang 1 shows an example of what I mean. Bugsite could have done it Telefang style, but I won't fault them for wanting to give the game a style of its own).

Anyway... I've got the last of the Airland maps: Rosh's Room (and the small bridge that connects Rosh's Room to Stomy's Room) and the entire Generator Area (referred to as "G Area" ingame). These areas didn't have much in terms of animation (thank goodness), but they did have Dark Castle's OTHER problem... intricate floor patterns that are easy to mess up with when assembling the map (G Area's wasn't as bad as Dark Castle's though. DC used both patterns and animations to produce a crazy mess that confuses the hell out of me).

Speaking of Dark Castle... I have a very strong feeling that it's the last map (that's used ingame) that I haven't ripped yet (not counting the previous attempt at ripping it... I'm still pissed over it). Since I've only got one map left to rip (not counting the unused maps that might be hiding in the debug menu somewhere), I've decided to celebrate by making custom Dino Device style smilies as yet another gift for the forum (and unlike my last gift, I wasn't being rushed off the PC by impatient people, so I had more time to check for errors. Also, these smilies use pallets that are straight from Dino Device 1 -except for the bottom one, which uses a Dino Device 2 pallet).

FailureBiWinning

Bumping for the same reason as my previous double posts, AND...

I RIPPED DARK CASTLE... AGAIN! It's just as perfect, if not better than my last rip, and it's just a measly 99.7KB! So small I didn't even have to RAR the PNG. It's got everything: the first three "courtyard" rooms, the four "dungeon" rooms, the prison, and the main hall (including the "final showdown" version with Prominade... he was a complete pushover by the way).

Words cannot express how happy I am about this, so I'll quote something from one of my girlfriend's samples of dialogue:

"You asked for a duel to the death; you got one. The only thing you didn't ask for was victory."
~Devid "Dev" Skyler, pilot of Mobile Suit "Gundam Astray PlatinumFrame"

No words could be more fitting (Dark Castle came off the victor once; never ever again afterwards).

With this out of the way, I can finally focus my efforts on making custom maps and spriting my girlfriend's homebrew bugs.

RacieB

Post by RacieB »

ƒ_□[ƒN ƒLƒƒƒbƒXƒ› is pretty much the greatest map name ever xD
FailureBiWinning

Yeah, it is.

What's even more interesting is that -technically- the Dark Castle isn't even supposed to exist. If what my girlfriend told me (in horrible Engrish with a cute Japanese accent) is true; that place is only there because Weldehide gashed open a small space in Bugsite and put it there (the hole from which you access Dark Castle/Castle Weldehide is what the game refers to as the Devil's Gate. Supposedly, the Dark Rock item that you obtain before entering the gate was one of the leftovers from the Castle's construction... but that's coming from a lady who was feeling groggy and hasn't had much sleep, so what she told me might not be very accurate.)

We'll just have to wait until a proper translation of the text from the later parts of the game is made before I can confirm or disprove what she's telling me; and this is from her (attempting) to read the aforementioned text (ProTip: Don't assume that someone who is a fluent speaker of Japanese is an equally fluent reader, especially if Japanese is their second language and they just-so-happen to be self-taught. It makes an ass out of you and me... in my case, it was just me).