Chinese Pokemon Jade (new title screen?)

Discuss anything about the wonderful GBC Telefang games here!
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Re: Chinese Pokemon Jade (new title screen?)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

I tested out my Chinese copy of Pokemon Jade last night and I was surprised to discover a new title screen that we haven't seen before. It was an unedited version of the english title screen and the Shishigami not only had his Jade horns attached but the Jades at the bottom of the screen sparkled like the diamonds in the Chinese Pokemon Diamond. There was also Chinese text for the title logos like in the Chinese Pokemon Diamond. This Jade screen is much neater and cleaner looking overall compared to the english version.

I think this new title screen i've found may be the original Chinese Jade title screen and it was badly edited for the english version (which has the Shishigami's horns and Chinese text missing). This Pokemon Jade Chinese is also based on the actual Telefang Speed version unlike the Pokemon Jade hack with the Pikachu from Pokemon Pinball on the title screen (which was a hack of Telefang Power version).

Unfortunately I don't have pictures at the moment since my gameboy reflects the light and I can't get a clear picture.

As a side note, the copy of Pokemon Jade Chinese I have has no glitches so far. I haven't tested whether or not it saves yet.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I didn't notice this thread when you first posted this, but a few weeks ago, a YouTube user named NusuttoSan (also known as Qiezei elsewhere) uploaded a video of a Chinese Jade bootleg that is similar to what you described. You can find the video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIGIvIUA05A

This bootleg is interesting due to the clean-looking title screen (as you said, it looks far better than the Engrish one), and the near lack of glitches. The text is actually fully functional, and it never shows the English (or should I say Engrish?) alphabet when it shouldn't (it still has that hilarious "GOT [item]" text though). I wonder how they managed to screw it up so badly in the Power bootleg. I guess the Power one was unfinished (seriously) and they decided to put more effort in the Speed one.

There were only two glitches that I found. The first one is that the bottom of the text box sometimes looks funny; this happens starting at 6:16 in the video, and also happens with the text box when selecting a move. The second one is funny; the enemy's DP bar actually says "HP" instead. So you see "HP" twice in the bottom-right corner of a battle. Weird.

As an aside, the clock appears to run at 50fps like the Engrish bootlegs, seeing that a minute in the game passes after 50 seconds instead of 60 (notice that at 12:53 in the video, the clock changes to 9:30, and at 13:43 in the video, the clock changes to 9:31). It's also probably not real-time, seeing that it behaves like the Engrish bootlegs.

I wonder if there are more glitches. I noticed the company logos are missing, so I wouldn't be surprised if the intro palette is glitched. It's also possible that it crashes after the Game Over screen or when pressing A+B+Select+Start, but I'm just speculating here.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

That's the one! I see Nusutto-san has gotten a hold of the Chinese version. I'm glad he's got footage of it, since it would have been hard to take a good photo of the screen because of the glare. It seems like this could be the 'original' Jade version the English one was translated from, but I wonder why they messed up the title screen? It must have been to fit the English logo in. Unless someone else just did a poor hack of the Chinese version.