Name of the protagonist?

Discuss the little known GBA sequel to Telefang here!
Milnivri(imported)

Re: Name of the protagonist?

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

What is the name of the protagonist in Telefang 2? It is キョウ in Japanese, which romanises to Kyou or something. But what is the real English name?

Kyou can also mean "today" in Jap.

What a wierd name.

P.S. I found out it was キョウ when choosing the name for the player and submitting it without entering a name. It came out.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Milnivri wrote: P.S. I found out it was when choosing the name for the player and submitting it without entering a name. It came out.
Telefang 1 does the same thing, that was what I meant by preset name when I was talking about my patch.
meiaman(imported)

Post by meiaman(imported) »

Hm... i tried researching bout this but the information is too confuse on many websites to tell correctly, but it seems that ƒLƒ‡ƒE is a katanaka. (that means kyou)

It seems kyoo is today, i dont know if kyou is the same thing. I just found somewhere that on pokemon blue/red the leader koga name in japanese is ƒLƒ‡ƒE.

Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Hm, yeah, that says Kyou in katakana...

Kyou and kyoo are just two different ways of spelling the same thing, and it is the japanese word for today, but I don't think that really applies here... A real person's name would usually be written in kanji, which would have some kind of meaning attached. Since this is in katakana, which only gives us what it sounds like, it seems like they just wanted a nice sounding generic name for the character, like we would in english. Trying to find a name meaning past that would be pretty hopeless, since there are tons and tons of different kanji that are read as kyou, and we don't really have any hints...

So yeah, seems his name is Kyou which for us just means Kyou. Fair enough. XD
Good find, guys~ *thumbs up*
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Kimbles wrote: So yeah, seems his name is Kyou which for us just means Kyou. Fair enough. XD
Good find, guys~ *thumbs up*
Yeah, lol. Fine.

EDIT: on http://www.rocketcompany.co.jp/t2/t2_003.html it says that his name is 炎 京, which is ほのお きょう or Honoo kyou, which means Kyung-flame (according to G translate)

So we'll refer to him as what from now on...?

Oh, and the auto name for the main character is not supposed to be in Katakana, is it? Or is the website wrong... Aiyah

EDIT EDIT: On wikipedia's article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_name it states that Katakana names are used instead of Kanji. Not hiragana. So that might be why it appears in Katakana.