FailureBiWinning's Workshop

Have any fan works for other games? Share it here!
FailureBiWinning

Re: FailureBiWinning's Workshop

Post by FailureBiWinning »

Double posting because I KNOW nobody wants to have to sift through a mountain of text, and I don't want to be responsible for making that mountain of text any larger than what it already is (besides; I need to bump this thread every-so-often or else it'll just sit here with no new content or major updates).

So, on to the updates: Melon Bread's sheet got a minor overhaul with added labels and it being divided into sections (Pieces, Sample Assembly, and Animations) I've pieced together many "example animations" that attempt to fit within the number of frames used by most Dinos in DD1. If my guess is correct, Dinos use: 4 frames for the idle animation, a single frame for attacking, and a single frame for being defeated or damaged. The only deviation from that on my sheet is that MB uses two separate frames for defeat and damage. His moveset is to be comprised of his attacks from all of his appearances:

1) Vomitting blue fire (like he does in Gunstar Super Heroes)
2) Spitting an explosive... uh, "thing," on you (like he did in Gunstar Heroes) and we can't forget his
3) Extend-O Nose attack (from Alien Soldier)!

The animations aren't exactly professional looking, and I know that not everyone will want to use them, so I'm leaving the parts on the sheet for people to make their own (along with sample assemblies to act as a guide).

My second update: Vortex got an upgrade and now sports more fingers on each hand. He also has a new attack graphic for one of his moves, and his sheet now has labels for the various things dotted here and there (like his bugshot- er, mugshot for example). His attack graphics are labeled with the name of the attacks being represented, with various "shortened" versions of the names off to the side. As of now; his designated moveset is:

1a) Claw: Functions like the standard claw attack used by most weak bugs in Bugsite. When versioned up to Ver. 99, you have the option of keeping it or enhancing it into...
1b) Dark Claw: Based on a weapon of the same name from an earlier prototype version of the original Doom, it functions in much the same way- saps health from the enemy. Health gained is based on the damage dealt to the target.
2) Blade Gun: Concept taken directly from Thunder Force IV; he fires a series of spinning blades at his target.
3) Rolling Attack Technique: Sonic Spin? Screw Attack? Neither! This move was ripped directly from Contra Force and functions almost identically- he does an energy-charged rolling-jump and lands on his target's head. The only difference is that this move actually does decent damage with one cost- the user doesn't become invulnerable when using it, which differs vastly with its original C Force counterpart.

I haven't decided on a fourth attack yet... in all likelihood, it'll be the only move on his roster that wasn't ripped from another game (but that in itself is unlikely).

(Looking back at the massive wall of edits on the previous post: I can safely say that this post is a "C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!")

(Hopefully my only) Edit: Oh, I almost forgot! While digging through my old junk, I found this custom Medabot that I made a long time ago... I never came up with a name for it.

(Okay, maybe that wasn't my only) Edit: I've started working on overworld sprites for Melon Bread; it's in pieces like the battle sprites. Also, I've started working on custom maps again... but this one isn't a Bugsite map (it's heavily inspired from one, though). It's a Site Gate-themed "Warp Lobby" for a mini-project I've recently started working on: it's called "DinOmega Device" (it's normally written with the actual Greek letter instead of the spelled out name; you'll see what I mean when you look at the file).

(Okay, this is definitely going to be the last) Edit: Added new overworld sprites for Melon Bread; he kinda makes me think of PacMan except... (wierd... wierder... wierder-er... wierdest... wierder-est? Whatever, he's) freaky-looking. He's also going to have a part in DinOmega Device... if I ever figure out how to program anything. As of now; DinOmega Device is like the Gundam-Probotector Blend-up that Rachelle and I were working on: It's just a concept that we build and store somewhere for later use. Same could be said of our "Vanilla Creme Project," except that one's a bit (read: a lot) more ambitious than what I'm working on, and it likely won't happen.
Simple sprite editor - sometimes I do not-so-simple edits.

:jank: :ghostfree: :p01:
FailureBiWinning

Shame on me for not updating this... triple post because the last two posts are several days old, and I'm obviously not getting anywhere anytime soon by editing an old post.

So... my college classes are going to start soon (this is my 3rd year), which means I'll end up with less time to update this (not that I've been updating this thread any... a tad irresponsible on my part).

Anyway, I've got one thing done today: more DinOmega Device maps. They're just Warp Lobbies; they still carry the Site Gate theme, right down to mimicking the color variations used in Bugsite. Admittedly, the edits are minor... I'm trying, though.

Update: Nothing new to add to this (rather old) post, but... my classes start tomorrow; a little earlier than I expected. That said, I'm definitely not going to have much time to finish anything I've been working on... I wouldn't expect anything new from me in quite a while.

FailureBiWinning

Wow... 2012... it's been a long time since I've posted anything in this art thread... brings back a lot of memories and makes me kinda sad I just let it... die. I almost feel like I'm defiling a grave by drudging this thread back up, but as my girlfriend once said: "If I'm going to vandalize a tombstone, I'd rather it be my own."

Anyway, I've been working on stuff since the last time I was here - mostly making things out of map tiles and such ripped from Chrono Trigger and Golden Sun... also finally looked into signing up with an image hosting service, so I won't have to attach files directly through the forum anymore (no more 200KB limit - huzzah).

This is mostly a test to see if I can actually link to my Imgur images correctly, so if the wrong thing show ups... whoops. Hopefully I'm using the IMG tags correctly.

Anyway, this map is based on something my girlfriend came up with - she calls it Whiteland. This is based on the third iteration of it to exist in her writings - allow me to describe it as she would:

>- Whiteland is named for its mostly white-colored landscape. The ground is covered in thick snow all-year-round - to the point that the natives refer to the landscapes as "snowscapes" (which is the closest English approximation to what they call it in their native tongue).
>- The people of Whiteland have lived there for generations and have a natural affinity for the cold - they can even manage the subzero temperatures that the country drops to after nightfall.
>- Whitelanders are isolationists that don't take too kindly to outsiders - they value their culture to the point that they fear what may happen if they attempted to share it with the outside world, so they mostly keep to themselves.
>- Whitelanders are a very violent bunch - killing is treated as a spectator sport, and citizens gather from every end of the country into the large arena at the capital village to watch warriors brutally slaughter each other.
>- Beneath Whiteland lies one of the largest (and deepest) natural veins of titanium on planet Earth - Whitelanders mine this titanium for use in their tools, weapons, armor, and infrastructure.
>- Whiteland's government can best be summed up with the following: "Harsh Meritocracy first, Direct Democracy Second, and -if the people will it- Minarchist Republic third." There are no political parties in Whiteland, and the government is only allowed to do what the civilians require from it.
>- The Whitelandic alphabet has one letter for each letter in the English alphabet... along with four extra letters that make romanizing and translating text a complete nightmare for people who aren't extensively familiar with the language. Their alphabet draws many glyph designs from the Greek, Georgian, Glagolitic, Gothic, and Coptic alphabets.

Well, that's all for now - I hope the image link turns out correctly because I have absolutely NO idea what will happen once I click Post Reply...

P.S.: Just wanted to say that I had the Pepsiman theme playing in my head while I was typing all of this - not even joking. On another note, YES, the image links worked... but I wonder if they might be too large...?
Last edited by FailureBiWinning on Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RacieB

Post by RacieB »

That looks awesome! Also don't feel bad about hiatuses here, it's always a pretty slow-paced place to begin with =)
FailureBiWinning

Thanks - fun fact: the hardest part wasn't drawing the map itself; rather, it was coming up with the Whitelandic alphabet to use in the map labels... spent WEEKS doing research on the different alphabets listed. Let me tell you: coming up with new glyphs to use for your own made up alphabet without straight up ripping off someone else or reusing a glyph by rotating/flipping it is nigh impossible (even ancient civilizations couldn't avoid it)!

Here's the map without any labels:

And here's the alphabet chart we came up with (ignore the punctuation marks - they're preliminary):

You can tell from the chart that my "translation" job isn't 100% accurate because I used only English letters whereas the Whitelandic alphabet has letters that simply don't exist in English - and not all of the letters were used, but maybe if I ever do another map based on another version of Whiteland, I'll use those other letters.

FailureBiWinning

Accessing the site via another browser - slowly moving all of my bookmarks from Waterfox (a Firefox derivative) to Brave... doing it manually because I've learned to not trust automated processes to do shit correctly.

Anyway - I've been fidgeting with this 3D posing program, XNA Posing Studio, or just XPS - decided to try and set up a scene.

"Today's a nice day to go check out the windmill- wait, is there something up there?"

"What the heck are you doing up there!?"

"How did you even GET up here anyway?"

FailureBiWinning

I forgot I had one more image made - was gonna edit the previous post, but it's not part of that windmill set officially so...

"This redefines what it means to sleep in a flower bed, clearly."

Note: Posing long hair on a model is nightmarish, and doing this without having it clip through anything was an absolute bitch and a half to do.
Last edited by FailureBiWinning on Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FailureBiWinning

Decided I'd take a jab at making MMBN maps using parts ripped from the games - this one's a mishmash of parts from BN1, 2, & 6! It's a random area on the web that has a nature-theme to it - a lot of the viruses encountered here are wood-element and use wood-based Battle Chips, so equipping armor to resist that while packing some fire-element Battle Chips would be wise. It's a good place to farm for Leaf Shields and Wood Towers!

FailureBiWinning

I've been doing some stuff - namely, learning about the perspective used in the Boktai series. It's a thing called "Military Oblique," and Boktai is probably one of the only franchises of games to ever use it - it's very well-suited for a stealth game, but I wondered what other possibilities it had... so I'm attempting to convert some pieces from MegaMan Battle Network 6 from isometric to military oblique.

The left is the original, the right is my handiwork:

And this is my attempt at tiling them:

I think my "obliqued" version lacks SOME detail... but it's about as good as I can get it for right now, and the lack of detail doesn't make it THAT much of an eyesore. If all goes well, this will serve as the basis for future obliqued tiles I may or may not work on - and I might go back and recreate all of my isometric Battle Network maps in this style.

FailureBiWinning

I finished up another thing that took way too long to finish - a map of C-Island made out of parts ripped from Chrono Trigger, Goof Troop, and some kind of Dragon Quest game (don't remember the exact title).

Comes in clean:

And labeled versions:

I'm probably not going to do something quite this large ever again - it took too long, and I'm not entirely sure I want to do maps of village or the caves.