Anyone have Pokemon Diamond as a patch for TF Power

Discuss anything about the wonderful GBC Telefang games here!
PotatoMatato(imported)

Re: Anyone have Pokemon Diamond as a patch for TF Power

Post by PotatoMatato(imported) »

Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if anyone has pokemon diamond as a patch for the japanese telefang power or would be willing to make one (as I believe all one would have to do is use lunar ips to create a patch by putting in both roms). I'm hesitant to buy bootlegs or download roms for moral/ethical reasons, so it would be nice to experience this gem of a bootleg as a patch for my dumped copy of TF power =) .

Thank you!
Imaynotbehere4long

Post by Imaynotbehere4long »

That would be like asking for a patch that turns Pokemon Red into Pokemon Gold; it's just a more roundabout way to arrive at the same result. I could understand not wanting to buy a cart since there's no guarantee they'll work, but your request is literally no morally/ethically different than simply downloading the ROM in question.

What's crazy is I just read where someone else told another person effectively the same thing on RHDN:
Psyklax wrote:I'll never understand this mentality, like people who use the Retron 5. "I can only use a ROM that I dumped myself, otherwise I feel dirty"...buying a used cartridge and downloading a ROM benefit the publishers in exactly the same way: not at all.
PotatoMatato(imported)

I would agree with you under most circumstances, but I think a better way of relating it to something is saying it is like asking for a patch of Pokemon Fire Red to Chaos black. Pokemon diamond is, after all, a rom hack of telefang power. If it was like a larger change (i.e. red to gold) that would be basically the same as downloading gold. However, correct me if I'm wrong, the DMCA states you can make a backup copy of your own media, and technically downloading a rom off the internet is downloading somebody else's copy, which becomes piracy as its distributing copyrighted code without the creator's permission. Pokemon diamond contains copyrighted code, so downloading a rom would be wrong, but the differences between it an telefang power would very likely not be copyrighted seeing as they are made by chinese developers who don't care about that stuff. That's how I see it at least.
PotatoMatato(imported)

Thank you!