Re: (Incomplete) Telefang English Translation

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Sanky wrote:Awesome! I'll have a look when i get home, but can you at least hint to what you removed/changed? :V
I believe that the code before the VWF code wasn't ending and was running into the VWF code. This of course assumes that it was asm code and not data. If it was data then the fix, at worst, does nothing. I made a jump so that if the code processes as ASM to that point it would neatly sidestep the VWF code. If it is continuing to read the VWF code, but as data, then I may need to put the required code into another bank, wherein this can only get complicated. Actually I might try that now since I did write a script for such a purpose in v29. *heads off to tinker with the Malias' code*

p.s. If anyone wants to know, the VWF hack (v31) was based on v27 and not v30 or v29.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Nope, the glitch still occurs. I'll try to snap a savestate for you..
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Sanky wrote:Nope, the glitch still occurs. I'll try to snap a savestate for you..
If you could then that would really speed up the process.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

andwhyisit wrote:
Sanky wrote:Nope, the glitch still occurs. I'll try to snap a savestate for you..
If you could then that would really speed up the process.
Here's the savestate, right before the glitch occurs! (VBA-M)
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Well I finally found the culprit. Values for the vwf code were being written to a section of ram already reserved for other purposes in the rom. I just needed to rewrite all suspect "LD (nn),A" and "LD A,(nn)" in the code so that they wrote to and read from an otherwise unused section of ram.

May I present to you the Telefang English Translation Patch, minus the battle call glitch.

Telefang Power English Translation Patch v39:
http://www.mediafire.com/?y5v2owpiwc3cp0r

So now the patch can start back up again right? :D

Oh and in case anyone was wondering about the version gap..
v36: Ported back over the changes from v29.
v37: Didn't go anywhere really. Dropped v37 and started the counter back up at v38 because v37 was going in the wrong direction and needed to be scrapped and stated again from v36.
v38: Restructured some of the VWF code to make it easier to read.

Oh, and Sanky, you're a lifesaver. Thanks.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Yay! :D

We can continue working on the patch again!

...Where do we start? :o

EDIT: Updated Wikifang!
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Current to-do list:
1. Replace the Japanese logo on the title screen with the English one.
2. Translate the menu.
3. Bug Kimbles for more translated text. :P
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I haven't had time to look at this yet, but has that glitch where the first letter of a Denjuu's name in battle been fixed yet? That was another one that was bothering me. Oh, and I think that there were variations of this glitch elsewhere...

But anyway, this is awesome, hopefully this will motivate all of us once again. Oh, and IIRC, a lot of text, due to the smaller font, doesn't utilize the whole width of the textbox, similar to English versions of Generation IV Pokémon games in battles when you see things like "[Pokémon] used[newline][move]!"
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257 wrote:I haven't had time to look at this yet, but has that glitch where the first letter of a Denjuu's name in battle been fixed yet? That was another one that was bothering me. Oh, and I think that there were variations of this glitch elsewhere...

But anyway, this is awesome, hopefully this will motivate all of us once again. Oh, and IIRC, a lot of text, due to the smaller font, doesn't utilize the whole width of the textbox, similar to English versions of Generation IV Pokémon games in battles when you see things like "[Pokémon] used[newline][move]!"
That's because these work on the assumption that the denjuu/move text inserted are at the max number of characters and that the letters are all full width. Pokemon do it like that to stop the text from breaking the textbox and the same principle applies here.

So if you want to write "[Denjuu] used [move]!" on one line then the name and move need a total leeway of 128px plus however much the " used " part takes up, which is likely wider than the textbox. It is smarter to simply have only one variable length word per line, even if you don't use the full width of the textbox as a result.

Not sure if the first letter glitch is still there, I'll take a look at it in the morning.

As for variations of the glitch, I don't doubt it. Anything that used ram entries CFC1-CFC6 would have received incorect data fed by the VWF code and would either glitch or act strangely as a result.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

XD Hahaha this is awesome. Finally!

*gets to translating*