Re: (Incomplete) Telefang English Translation

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Wario Bros.(imported)

Post by Wario Bros.(imported) »

Great job on the translations! Can't wait for this to be finished! :3

I do have some questions though:

1) Are there scripts/lines that are exclusive between the Power & Speed?
2) Will I be able to patch this translation and the Super GameBoy patch on the same ROM without any problems?
3) Are you gonna make any localization changes? (as in there's content in the game that non-Japanese people would not understand). I don't care if you're not doing this part but I'm just curious.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

New version!

http://www.sankysoft.com/tulunk/TPatch40.ips

Fixed most of the first character disappearing bugs.
See Wikifang for complete changelog, board does not like spaces.

can we continue with the translation now please :(
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Just tried it and by god that is a sight for sore eyes. I salute you!
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

andwhyisit wrote:Just tried it and by god that is a sight for sore eyes. I salute you!
Thanks! I'd fix the bugs that are left, too, but I spent the whole evening doing this. Maybe later. @_@

Anyway, I've been working on a tool to dump and reinsert the text, you can look at what I have done by now here:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AijgW3P2GtU5dE90aDc3RC1HWjJ6UG9EQkowZ3FFVUE&hl=en&authkey=CMu8saQD
I'm trying to make the process as easy as possible. :D

(Alternatively: http://wikifang.meowcorp.us/wiki/Wikifang:Telefang_1_Translation_Patch/Text_dump )
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I posted this in the IRC Telefang chat already, but I will mention this here for all to see. I was using bgb to look at some assembly code, and I found some code that reads Denjuu names from the ROM and writes them to RAM.

Use bgb and set a breakpoint at 0:3A01, then go to the Picture Book and scroll through various Denjuu. This is the code that does this. Most notably, at 0:3A14, the code ld bc,0008 is what determines the array size (i.e. the maximum number of letters in the Denjuu name). You can change the array size and this will affect how many bytes will be written to RAM. Also, the code before it (from 0:3A01 to 0:3A11) also determines the size of the array, in that the game needs to figure out where to start looking for the Denjuu name. Here, it takes the Denjuu's index number (at RAM address 0xD435) and multiplies it by 8, to get the proper address.

If you look at the code after that, you'll see that the game starts reading from 1D4000 (plus the offset determined by the aforementioned code), and starts writing the characters to RAM, which starts at D440. It does this one character at a time, until 8 letters are reached. As I said, changing the code at 0:3A14 causes more or less letters to show up in RAM.

However, this isn't as easy as it seems. It seems that there is separate code to print the text on the screen once the characters are written to RAM, which I haven't found yet. While decreasing the array size will make fewer letters show up, increasing it will still only cause 8 letters at most to show up, even if you hack the names to get rid of the null E0's. It seems that this code is separate and only lets 8 letters show up at most at the moment.

But at least this is a start.

Also, as a random and unrelated point, I think we can improvise a little on move names, etc. Retail games rarely translate everything exactly, like Pokémon. For example, the move Fire Blast was originally Daimonji in Japanese, but from translating the name, it lost its meaning. (Hey, look at this -- doesn't that look a bit familiar?) Sunny Day was originally Clear Sky in Japanese, which is why Moonlight gets boosted by it. And so on. (Also, a funny one, which occurred from English to Spanish, was Overheat, which was translated as Sofoco, which means suffocation. Yes, really.) The list goes on, but I think I made my point clear.

Point is: We shouldn't worry if we don't translate everything 100% perfectly. So if we translate Invigorate as Enliven, it won't be the end of the world. Don't stress out over it too much. Just as long as it still makes sense, we should be OK. And believe me, anything will be better than the bootlegs, which were translated horribly, as everyone knows.

Also:
Wario Bros. wrote:1) Are there scripts/lines that are exclusive between the Power & Speed?
2) Will I be able to patch this translation and the Super GameBoy patch on the same ROM without any problems?
3) Are you gonna make any localization changes? (as in there's content in the game that non-Japanese people would not understand). I don't care if you're not doing this part but I'm just curious.
1. Offhand, I know there's at least one: When Crypto/Fungus greets you, the dialog is different (since they say their names). But both of these lines are coded in both versions, just one of them is never used. And both have already been translated.
2. Probably, I don't see why not.
3. We will probably keep everything the same, just to keep the spirit of the game.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257 wrote:I posted this in the IRC Telefang chat already, but I will mention this here for all to see. I was using bgb to look at some assembly code, and I found some code that reads Denjuu names from the ROM and writes them to RAM.

Use bgb and set a breakpoint at 0:3A01, then go to the Picture Book and scroll through various Denjuu. This is the code that does this. Most notably, at 0:3A14, the code ld bc,0008 is what determines the array size (i.e. the maximum number of letters in the Denjuu name). You can change the array size and this will affect how many bytes will be written to RAM. Also, the code before it (from 0:3A01 to 0:3A11) also determines the size of the array, in that the game needs to figure out where to start looking for the Denjuu name. Here, it takes the Denjuu's index number (at RAM address 0xD435) and multiplies it by 8, to get the proper address.

If you look at the code after that, you'll see that the game starts reading from 1D4000 (plus the offset determined by the aforementioned code), and starts writing the characters to RAM, which starts at D440. It does this one character at a time, until 8 letters are reached. As I said, changing the code at 0:3A14 causes more or less letters to show up in RAM.

However, this isn't as easy as it seems. It seems that there is separate code to print the text on the screen once the characters are written to RAM, which I haven't found yet. While decreasing the array size will make fewer letters show up, increasing it will still only cause 8 letters at most to show up, even if you hack the names to get rid of the null E0's. It seems that this code is separate and only lets 8 letters show up at most at the moment.

But at least this is a start.
Actually I have gone through that process before. I got to the point where I created a separate list of names 12 chars long and was reading from them into ram. However a stumbling block you will encounter is the character limit on denjuu nicknames.

So you need to:
1. Increase name limit when reading to ram.
2. Increase nickname limit when reading to ram.
3. Increase limit of auto-generated nicknames.
4. Increase characters read from ram when auto-generating nicknames.
5. Increase the number of characters printed onscreen in all occurrances.
6. Port VWF to all denjuu name occurrances to avoid breaking binding boxes.

It's not really worth it. The 2-char combinations are an easier solution and look alot cleaner these days.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Personally I think we should try it anyway, since then we might be able to use properly capitalized Denjuu names too. :/ Plus you're probably going to have all the time in the world while I finish translating the story this summer. (Which I'm actually doing right now! Progress is being made!)

It's been a while since I've looked at this, so what bugs/issues does the patch still have at this point? :O
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Kimbles wrote:Personally I think we should try it anyway, since then we might be able to use properly capitalized Denjuu names too. :/ Plus you're probably going to have all the time in the world while I finish translating the story this summer. (Which I'm actually doing right now! Progress is being made!)

It's been a while since I've looked at this, so what bugs/issues does the patch still have at this point? :O
Very little:
Sanky wrote:
  • Still needs fixing:
    • Denjuu name when a status effect appears, e.g. Fog
    • The HP/DP bars, first character gets overwritten on battle start
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

First off, I made a minor patch. This changes the font yet again, to something made from scratch. Observe:

Any character not listed above hasn't been changed at all.

And here it is in action:

This patch also adds the SGB features in, though I chose a different color palette that's easier on the eyes. Yes, I know this isn't part of the translation, but it doesn't hurt anything to include it, so I went ahead and did it.

Also, I fixed the phone graphics for GB/SGB mode. They previously used a really old design, and until now only the GBC phone graphics were updated.

The patch is attached to this post.

Also, some other glitches that have gone unnoticed:

- Sometimes, the Denjuu's name glitches up:

- The cursor still thinks that the font is fixed width, and shows up in the wrong spot:

- The left dash that I included here is missing:

- The VWF isn't implemented on some screens yet, like the Fight/Flee options, or the "Escaped!" text:

- This slash is still missing here:

- The first letter of the Denjuu's type is still missing:

(Hey, don't we have room to extend the descriptions now? They aren't fixed size so why not!)

That's all I could find.

Also, yes, I do think that we should be able to have at least 12 characters for Denjuu names (though it seems that every multiplication operation seems to be in the form of bit shifts, so 16 might be more convenient). Types should have 8 characters (well, 7 is enough right?), and moves should have 12/16 characters too. I know this is a pain in the neck to do, but if we work together then we should be able to accomplish this.

And yes, I think we should resort to the Pokémon Black/White style of using lowercase names for Denjuu. And for attacks, too. Just because Pokémon used to use ALL CAPS for everything, as well as the Telefang bootlegs, doesn't mean this Telefang translation should resort to that.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

New patch!!
I wrote a script that given a pointer table offset and the number of strings dumps the text!! XD
It can also put the translations back, utilizing free space, recalculating the pointers and inserting newlines for the VWF. It's pretty awesome and I think it will make the whole process a lot faster. I will make it use E5 codes in the future, too, but probably only when/if we run out of space.
I can release it if anybody wants it but the source is pretty ugly.

So anyway, Kimbles redid most translations, so you can enjoy the patch with the new pretty variable-width font and all new translations!! It's pretty awesome.
Oh, and a link, of course:
http://wikifang.meowcorp.us/etc/TPatch42r1.ips

Here are the text dumps, if you're interested:
http://wikifang.meowcorp.us/wiki/User:Kimbles/T1_Translation_Notes
Just click the links in the rom bank column.

Oh, and I also changed 0x00 to a full-width space.

If there are any problems (text spilling over lines, or otherwise messed up text), please let me know. Note that untranslated strings from the dumped banks are replaced with stuff like /0x11c046/ instead of gibberish.

Yay, I'm pretty excited about this!

EDIT: Linked the first revision