Re: (Incomplete) Telefang English Translation

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I like what I am seeing here, it looks like your script looks really well. I tested this through the beginning of Kurinon Village and I like how some of the text was re-translated. I actually think we may have this done by the end of the year, honestly.

Another thing I liked was that on some screens, the cursor shows up in the right spot, like this:
Spoiler!
I also liked how, with the VWF, the text manages to fit in two lines, preventing glitches:
Spoiler!
Image Image
However, there are still some things that need to be fixed.

1. Some text doesn't have the address of the pointer, but rather still is garbled. This is mainly for text with yes/no questions.
Spoiler!
Image Image
2. There's quite a bit of text with line breaks that shouldn't be there. It seems that the text wraps, causing a line break, followed by a forced line break.
Spoiler!
Image Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
3. The question marks seem to take up a ton of space. This is my fault, I set it to the wrong width. I fixed this in a new patch (see below).
Spoiler!
Image Image
4. Does all this excess spacing really need to be here? I know it's in the Japanese version, but here it just looks weird.
Spoiler!
5. I'm thinking it should say "point(s)" here, since sometimes you only get 1 exp in a battle.
Spoiler!
6. Who the heck is Dekichba?
Spoiler!
7. Some spaces look large, and it looks weird to me. These should be replaced with the smaller spaces, methinks.
Spoiler!
Image Image
8. I thought I replaced the monochrome tiles for the phone, but apparently I didn't. Well, I replaced them in the new patch:
Spoiler!
Old:
Image Image
New:
Image Image
9. I was able to replicate the glitch that RacieB found where the game asks you which Denjuu you want to attack. If you press Left or Right to select a different Denjuu while the text is printing out, it goes haywire. (And yes, being the impatient person I am, I tend to press Left/Right as soon as I can, so I see this a lot.) This animated GIF should explain this better:
Spoiler!
In addition, it caused the N in Nejiro to disappear (it had already disappeared by the time I recorded the GIF because I did this glitch before recording this).
Well, those are all the comments I have so far. But I like where this is going, honestly, despite what I had to say. I know we can do this!

Well, the patch is below. To recap, it fixes the monochrome phone graphics and the ? and - widths. It doesn't do anything besides that though.

PS: I wonder if we should fix this FD glitch in the patch. Originally, I didn't think that fixing non-translation issues was important in a translation patch, but this is a serious glitch that does more harm than good. It makes certain Denjuu unusable. It also seems like a rather easy fix if we can find the code: It seems like nothing more than checking if the FD increases past 100 then reverting it to 100 if it does. In addition, some retail games have major glitches fixed in localized versions, like Pokémon (such as the Surf through a door glitch in the Elite Four in Japanese D/P, or the Doko Kashira Door glitch in R/G, or the MissingNo. glitch which was fixed in Spanish versions of Red/Blue, and so on). What do you all think? This shouldn't be a top priority, but I don't think it's a bad idea to do at some point.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Awesome~!

at 1.: That's because these text banks weren't touched at all. I reinserted most of them now, though there still will be garbled text somewhere.
at 2.: Solved
at 4.: Kimbles said it should be right-aligned, but I'm not sure. In any case, we'll need to use «0»s for it.
at 5.: We kind of decided that "1 points" looks better than "1 point(s)", and most people will know what it means and why it happens, anyway? :V
at 6.: Corrected, the text now says Tabasco (and I also made Kakuza in lowercase).
at 7.: These still use the 0x00 space. I corrected the ones you showed (and as a side effect, dumped the Denjuu descriptions), but if you know of any more, please tell me.
at 9.: I think I solved that by making the text appear instantly, but I can't test it nowI'm too lazy to test it now.

I agree with the FD thing, but I'm not sure if I know ASM well enough to do it..

Anyway, here's the new release, then:
http://wikifang.meowcorp.us/etc/TPatch44.ips
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Sanky wrote:I wrote a script that given a pointer table offset and the number of strings dumps the text!! XD
How does it handle two pointers pointing at the same address?
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

andwhyisit wrote:How does it handle two pointers pointing at the same address?
It dumps them both separately, but the inserter merges identical text so it's alright.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Hmm, what do you think about changing some of the evolution stages at this point?

The player's guide describes civilized Denjuu as "man-made Denjuu that have become naturalized", so basically, they're a by-product of human civilization and not really civilized themselves... That's also why they require DNA from the natural Denjuu line to evolve. *nod*
"Cultivated" Denjuu would probably make a bit more sense, and we could also change Super-Machine to Super-Mech (or Super-Tech or something) to keep it shorter, and Dark Void to Darkness. *shrug* What do you think?

I'm also wondering about the evolution methods, since Mod and Experimental are still kind of unwieldly... We could probably get away with changing them to something simpler, like Mix evolution and Lab evolution, or something like that. I just went with Mod because I didn't have any better ideas, and it's still kind of bugging me... :/
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

v45:
http://www.mediafire.com/?xtd1h45c5daygsf

- Title screen is now IN ENGLISH!
- "Civilized Denjuu" changed to "Cultivated Denjuu".

..aaaaand I'm off to bed.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Whoa!! XD

....Though, I think I still prefer the original logo. XD *shrug* My main issues with it are that it doesn't use all of the space... And it says "Jelefang". D:

If we're translating the title though, we should probably translate "Keitai Denjuu" as well... (Mobile Monsters? Cell-Mons? Phone Beasts?) :/
I've also been wondering if we can translate the credits before the title screen (Original story - Kino Kozue/Denjuu design - Takaki Saiko), and the squished "Kodansha" in the corner... It's not that important though. XD
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Cool, Andwhyisit!

Anyway I just want to chip in to mention that I'm currently doing the menus, just so nobody picks it up at the same time:
I also got the select menu done, plus the save screens. Working on new game and nicknaming screens..
Oh, here's a new patch:
v46:
http://wikifang.meowcorp.us/etc/TPatch46.ips

- Kurinon story text: http://wikifang.meowcorp.us/wiki/Wikifang:Telefang_1_Translation_Patch/Text_dump/12C000
- Some calls, partially text messages but they don't display properly
- Other fixes in older text
Thank Kimbles!

I'm not quite done with the menu, so it's not yet in..
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Kimbles wrote:And it says "Jelefang". D:
v47: http://www.mediafire.com/?83r0zk0c553g5rh

Better?
Telefang Patch v48:
http://www.mediafire.com/?17a4ho3i8qb6ydn

- Fixed some Yes/No questions.
- Changed garbled text on level up screen. Not perfect but it'll do for now.
- Started work on breaking the denjuu name limit.

On another note, while I was there I noticed some garbled text when looking at the map for the Toronko Village cave:

The text in question can be found at $8C35 and is 12 bytes long. The text in this bank is ended by a simple E0 unlike the message box text (E1 ??), and uses a pointer table (from what I can tell) unlike the Denjuu names.

On the subject of the dumper, not to sound ungrateful but it seems to be placing "E1 ?? 00 E1 00" at the end of every message instead of just "E1 ??" for some reason. Any ideas?
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

wrote:- Fixed some Yes/No questions.
I'll check them out, but could you add them on Wikifang the next time, too? Else they're going to get overwritten the next time I reinsert the text :(

As for the map, it's probably the same table as for the map screen. There's one pointer for every point on the map, so that's kinda unpractical to dump using the current dumper, but I'll work on it.

As for the E1 ?? 00 issue, that's a quick hack because E1 00 is valid and I don't want to overwrite the 00 while searching for free space. I'll fix that some time when we start running out of space :) Not sure what the extra 'E1 00' is, though. I'll check, it seems correct in the intro text though.

And the rest, awesome! I'll have a look on the patch now..