Re: (Incomplete) Telefang English Translation

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

Alrighty after hacking for a whole day and a half I found and re-enabled VWF for what I call "status screen items" - basically almost everything that wasn't already VWF'd. I also had to figure out how the VWF state works in the process and fix a few tile corruption bugs caused by improper VWF state handling. So far I've only noticed one bug - text being cut off for denjuu nature if it's longer than 3 tiles. There ARE a bunch of battle-screen bugs, which are different and I think those were there before I started hacking.

*ahem* Now for notes and a patch, right?

This is the VWF patch branch. It patches against our typical baserom as normal.

I also have some RESEARCH NOTES from my disassembly. This is what I did to the ROM, roughly. Of course you're probably wondering what this all does, and normally someone would probably say "Figure it out yourself!" and honestly I'd have to agree with that guy. Still, you definately neeeeeed something to go off of, perhaps an address to trace or something? Well here's the disassembly of the status screen item VWF: DISASSEMBLY EXTRAVAGANZA
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

RacieB wrote:I played with testing link mode earlier and made new buttons for it just now... not sure if the graphics for the link menu are compressed or not though, haven't looked.

Originals:
Image Image

Buttons:
Image Image Image
I have to say, you've done a great job on those buttons. They look official! Although, shouldn't it be D-Melo instead of Melo-D? Also the 'tensou' at the end means transfer, so maybe the button could be edited to say Send D-Melo or something similar? Just a thought, although it's fine as D-Melo regardless.
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

Kenju: "Melo-D" is used consistently through other parts of the hack, usually to assign ringtones to individual denjuu. I'm not 100% sure if that's correct, though.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Yeah, we're using Melo-D because it sounds like melody and works a bit better in english, IMO. XD As for the link button, I think it's pretty clear from the other screens that it means sending them... *nod*
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Ah, I see. I was just checking in case there'd been a mistake, since the Japanese version spells it as D-melo. Thanks for clarifying that ^^

Melo-D is a good choice. I was also wondering if the Japanese D-melo is short for Digital melody? Unless it's just a rearrangement of the word melody. Maybe it means both? Another word pun maybe?
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

KenjutheDenjuu wrote:Also the 'tensou' at the end means transfer, so maybe the button could be edited to say Send D-Melo or something similar? Just a thought, although it's fine as D-Melo regardless.
Durf I didn't think of "Send", I tried it as Melo-D Transfer and didn't like how it smushed the letters. Send Melo-D would probably fit just fine, though it actually takes you to a screen that asks whether you want to Send / Receive so maybe leaving it ambiguous is better..?

Also! I've been working on the certificate and I'll add a patch as soon as I'm done. I tried to make it fancier-looking without changing it too much (mainly just translated the text, changed text color, and changed the corner detail colors.)
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Keeping it just as Melo-D sounds fine. I didn't know there was a screen afterwards asking whether you wanted to send Melo-D's or not, so I guess it would be kind of repeating. I've never used the communication part of the game before, so I don't know much about it.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Okay, I've finished with the certificate. Here is what it changes -
Spoiler!
Image -> Image
(spoilered in case anybody wants it to still be a surprise after they trade endlessly to get it...?)

Here is the patch - http://telefang.meowcorp.us/TF-NewCertificate.ips

And if you'd like to test it, here's a post-game save provided by Blaziken - http://www.mediafire.com/?mb1pu9zpzqzutz5

My full index GameShark code will trigger Matsukiyou to show you the certificate when you walk into Musa's house.
Spoiler!
01AE76CB
01FFE0C6
01FFE1C6
01FFE2C6
01FFE3C6
01FFE4C6
01FFE5C6
01FFE6C6
01FFE7C6
01FFE8C6
01FFE9C6
01FFEAC6
01FFEBC6
01FFECC6
01FFEDC6
01FFEEC6
01FFEFC6
01FFF0C6
01FFF1C6
01FFF2C6
01FFF3C6
01FFF4C6
013FF5C6
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

kmeisthax wrote:Alrighty after hacking for a whole day and a half I found and re-enabled VWF for what I call "status screen items" - basically almost everything that wasn't already VWF'd. I also had to figure out how the VWF state works in the process and fix a few tile corruption bugs caused by improper VWF state handling. So far I've only noticed one bug - text being cut off for denjuu nature if it's longer than 3 tiles. There ARE a bunch of battle-screen bugs, which are different and I think those were there before I started hacking.

*ahem* Now for notes and a patch, right?

This is the VWF patch branch. It patches against our typical baserom as normal.

I also have some RESEARCH NOTES from my disassembly. This is what I did to the ROM, roughly. Of course you're probably wondering what this all does, and normally someone would probably say "Figure it out yourself!" and honestly I'd have to agree with that guy. Still, you definately neeeeeed something to go off of, perhaps an address to trace or something? Well here's the disassembly of the status screen item VWF: DISASSEMBLY EXTRAVAGANZA
Awesome work.

Now all that's left is fixing those remaining limits, the leftover bugs, and auto-nicknaming.
This is going so fast now. We've jumped over 20 versions in the last 4 pages of this thread. o_O;

Oh and if you need the space try:

push af
push hl
ld a, 08
call 3ff1 (check first, I could be wrong since I am pulling this from the top of my head since I won't have access to my computer until friday)
pop hl
pop af

Then at 01:4008 write:
call nn (replace nn with the desired address to write your "function" to for lack of a better word)
ret
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

Thanks for the tip.

Also, new version. v61 now. This isn't really that much of a fix... more like an anti-fix, perhaps a... um... I broke the text centering routine. On purpose, don't worry. It's old code from the original ROM that assumes Japanese text and no VWF. Not only that, it was also breaking the VWF in certain places because it was inserting nulls in the string right before it was about to be rendered, even though the VWF isn't aware of the extra spaces being added and thus cuts off the string early. This should fix some cut-off bugs with the VWF. Additionally, later on we can write some real centering logic that modifies the VWF state properly and counts pixels, not letters. Is there a universal place which states the current width of the current line in pixels or tiles?

EDIT 01: v62 patch only difference is that this one has the modified english certificate graphics, which were previously a standalone patch only.