Re: (Incomplete) Telefang English Translation

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

All of the bugs you say? Well here's a bug you guys haven't posted yet (to my knowledge at least):

The denjuu name is overwriting the habitat name.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

andwhyisit wrote:All of the bugs you say? Well here's a bug you guys haven't posted yet (to my knowledge at least):

The denjuu name is overwriting the habitat name.
That's /still/ the exact same bug - when writing a string, the VWF always overwrites one more character than it should (which explains disappearing first characters in all of the following: Denjuu names in-battle, Attack option in-battle, the HP/SP bar, personality and the ?/ characters on the status screen, and the type in the index).
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

I'll give a short explanation of why the VWF core does this and what I plan to do in the next patch to fix it. Keep my ROM B 79C1 disassembly handy, even though it's obsolete as of v65.

A critical part of any VWF is that letters are not aligned to tiles. This means that the VWF keeps a 1bpp copy of both the current and next tile in what is called the "Temporary Compositing Area" (int size ptr at WRAM C7C3). When a letter hangs off of the edge of one tile, the VWF -must- draw it onto the next tile, because the VWF gets called once per letter to do it's magic.

Now, we -are- doing this behavior a little too frequently in my opinion. The VWF only needs to draw the next tile when a letter hangs off of it. We could be more conservative about when we actually draw into the next tile instead of doing it all the time. Also, the reason why this bug doesn't crop up more often is because most code in the game writes to VRAM in forward order, i.e. increasing addresses. Only when the game writes to tiles that are behind something already drawn with the VWF do we get this sort of behavior.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

In any case..

v66:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zy1i993496wkwid

- All Denjuu name occurances are now entirely sourced from the 16-char entries. No more uppercase names.
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

Well, I had to do an annoying manual copy to merge our branches but, Patch v67 is out.

Key changes: changes to the VWF core to avoid drawing over the next tile until a glyph hangs over a tile boundary.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

kmeisthax wrote:Well, I had to do an annoying manual copy to merge our branches but, Patch v67 is out.

Key changes: changes to the VWF core to avoid drawing over the next tile until a glyph hangs over a tile boundary.
Mind re-uploading that? The download isn't working.

Anyone noticed this one yet?
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

Patch 67 from another file host.

Also Sanky said on #telefang that the INVALID nature is caused by a bug he introduced; INVALID is a placeholder text he added if an invalid denjuu nature is selected. Apparantly his code sends the wrong nature string to the graphics routines or something.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Just a quick fix here for the INVALID personality:
http://wikifang.meowcorp.us/etc/TPatch68.ips
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

v69:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ae94sbwz2pd3p1d

It's 2am in the morning, so the changelog can come later.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

A helpful Kochia put the beatdown on me and showed me a bug :<

EDIT: Tested v68 and it showed Crypto's name correctly when he was needled to death by a Monstera.