Re: Telefang 2 PTP - Proper Translation Project

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

Hey all! Nice to meet you. I'm DaVince. And this is an effort to get Telefang 2 properly translated. I have no idea where to start explaining so I'll just start with how this came to be.

First off, a few months ago, I found this through GBATemp: the Telefang 2 Power - Full English Translation Based on the bootleg script. After playing for a bit, I just couldn't bear not understanding most of what was going on even though the game was technically "English". Kind of.

Jdbye was actually looking for a translator to fix things up. Since I've been studying Japanese, I decided to give translating the game a shot. For practice and for fun. Looking at the Japanese version of this game, I found out that I'll be able to translate this game and confident that I'd get at least 95% of the translation right! So I kinda started doing it on and off, keeping loose contact with Jdbye, not really progressing quickly... until a few days ago, when I just decided to go at it full-effort and contact the group who did the original bootleg-based translation project.

So. Now we're a team, or rather, there's the old team plus one translator! This entire project is based entirely on the code, hacks and workflow from the other project, which means that everything's set for me to just start replacing the bad English with good English. Normmatt does ASM (just like he and Jdbye did before) and he's already fixed a few things, like incorporating a red font and fixing the in-textbox choice menu. RacieB is making nice fonts and taking care of formatting/fixing the Denjuu descriptions. Jdbye has been showing me how to get things going, and he and Sanky have been informing me of things I should really keep an eye on when it comes to the world of Telefang so that it's accurate to the fans' descriptions. I'm new with the series, after all. In any case, things are awesome.

Screenshots

Demonstration of new font, new script and red text:

Image Image

Album of all screenshots

Progress

What's done?
  • All intro cutscenes.
  • All event, story and cutscene text for the first town (Takedama Village).
  • All the dialogues and the tutorial text for Takedama Village.
  • I've started translating dialogue text for the next area and village (Torikabe Village). 40 lines have been translated so far.
What's next?
  • Fixing the older translation because I've gotten a lot better at Japanese in those months.
  • Working on the story text for Takedama Cave and Torikabe Village.
Next to that, the Denjuu descriptions were actually already translated by someone else, but they contain errors and translation mistakes. The English text is also too long to fit in the current text box. Work is underway to A) fit more text, B) correct the mistranslations, and C) rewrite the lines to make them fit.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

I added a poll for the font spacing =) I'll continue to work on the punctuation and numerals tomorrow, probably.
Sir Allan Newlight(imported)

Post by Sir Allan Newlight(imported) »

Well... For me it was nice. I hope that you fix <YES/NO> Texts failure which made previous translation team.
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

Yup, Normmatt (who was also in charge of ASM for the previous project) fixed those. :)

So good. That making gameplay more easier.
(One offtopic question. I start playing KTD2 in my NDS <by SuperCard Lite> And I have question. It was possible to change Denjuu that follow you like in KTD1?)
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

Yes, you should be able to. I don't quite remember how at the moment (been focusing more on translating than playing!), but I think by simply calling them on the field, you'll be asked to at the end.

So not. I call to Suguri wanting change him with rex. After said twice time YES he only show FD+ and do not change Rex.
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

Okay, then it might be something in the phone menus somewhere. Experiment, I'd say. ;)

Edit: to go back on topic, I'm also doing this translation because the English bootleg one actually omits a whole lot of interesting story stuff, and sometimes it misinterprets it. So that's a good reason to be retranslating, at least!
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

T2 was a little unintuitive as far as friend Denjuu go, iirc you have to choose partners out of your contact book by pressing A on the pages on Denjuu you want available for battle so that a heart appears on them. I think then these are the ones you're able to invite to follow you.
DaVince

Post by DaVince »

I spent the day writing some code to automate inserting my translations into the game quickly. It was hard work (for me, who is not exactly great with programming), but the effort paid off in the end. This should speed up inserting and testing the script in-game considerably. :)