Re: (Incomplete) Telefang English Translation

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Cool, thanks.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

No you don't...
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Sorry I started writing my post before you posted yours, edited my post after seeing your post, then you posted before seeing my edit. Now everyone can be confused. :lol: ('cept me of course)

On another note, the word nav looks awesome with the outline.

And ISOLATE is better than S.CHILD. When you used the term "isolate" as a noun it means someone/something that has been isolated, in this case isolated from humans. Convenient, no? Long live the dictionary!!!

I'll test the patch when I get home.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

That is a really, really nice patch. D: The font is perfect like that, keep it. XD

The only thing that really bugs me is the use of CAPS for names... Pokemon did it a lot, but it doesn't really mean we have to here. D: It just kind of adds to the engrishiness to have people SHOUTING the already cut-down attack names, you know? XD Attacks, trainers and items would probably look better with normal capitalization... Maybe just try it for the next patch, to see what it looks like? D:

And yeah, the fight/run/status is right...XD If you're curious, when a wild denjuu fights you it says "___ appeared!", and the two options after you choose to fight are fight and run. *nod* Seriously, awesome work. XD
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Kimbles wrote: That is a really, really nice patch. D: The font is perfect like that, keep it. XD

The only thing that really bugs me is the use of CAPS for names... Pokemon did it a lot, but it doesn't really mean we have to here. D: It just kind of adds to the engrishiness to have people SHOUTING the already cut-down attack names, you know? XD Attacks, trainers and items would probably look better with normal capitalization... Maybe just try it for the next patch, to see what it looks like? D:

And yeah, the fight/run/status is right...XD If you're curious, when a wild denjuu fights you it says "___ appeared!", and the two options after you choose to fight are fight and run. *nod* Seriously, awesome work. XD
But lowercase letters would make it impossible to fit names in without a variable width font.

Made some name adjustments plus I cleaned up alot of the squashed effect with the names.

Power Version Menu Patch v5:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ifvznqpr3m6
Kimbles(imported)

Uh, but the lowercase and uppercase letters are the same size, right? ^^; It wouldn't make any difference...

And is it even possible to make variable width fonts for GBC games? D:
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Kimbles wrote:That is a really, really nice patch. D: The font is perfect like that, keep it. XD

Well, even Diamond and Pearl, which use less ALL CAPS than previous Pokémon games, still uses ALL CAPS for the Pokémon names. And Diamond/Jade use them too. But I guess I'll change it to lowercase to see how it goes...

And it's "Run," huh? I thought it was "Escape" (judging from the bootleg)... but I changed it to "Run" now.

Also, I've been meaning to say this for a long time now, but I've been very very slowly trying to learn Katakana (by looking at the list on Wikipedia). So I can recognize a few words here and there. For example, when it says how much HP is lost, I can make out the words "points" and "damage." Now if someone can tell me what exactly this says, this would be nice. :P
andwhyisit wrote:
Kimbles wrote: That is a really, really nice patch. D: The font is perfect like that, keep it. XD

But lowercase letters would make it impossible to fit names in without a variable width font.

Made some name adjustments plus I cleaned up alot of the squashed effect with the names.

Power Version Menu Patch v5:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ifvznqpr3m6
Thanks, I downloaded it. It's awesome!
Kimbles wrote:Uh, but the lowercase and uppercase letters are the same size, right? ^^; It wouldn't make any difference...

I saw a few screenshots of some GBC game, Pokémon Trading Card Game, use this really thin font. But other than that, I haven't seen games use it.

-------------------------------------

I made one or two changes to this patch... I added "___ appeared!", changed "Escape" to "Run," added the "Fight"/"Run" text in the battle screen, added the types (I used the same ones as the bootleg, because there's a 4-character limit, but I capitalized "Wood"), and... that's about it. Since I made so few changes, I'm going to call this version number 5.1, as opposed to 6.

EDIT: Oops, forgot to attach the file.
Kimbles(imported)

Woo, good work! XD We're making good progress on this. I can't wait for the battles to be fully translated. :D

Flee/run away/escape are all the same word in japanese, so it really just depends on which you think sounds better. *nod* I think run looks good here, though.

For the habitat names, I think that "Aqua" would fit better than lake, and anything would probably be better than hill... "Crag" might work, since the japanese is basically "rocky mountain". A hill makes me think of a grassy bump in the ground. XD

And congrats on trying to learn katakana. XD I think that playing a japanese game with a kana chart is about the best way to learn it...XD Especially when you're already familiar with the english names or romaji. *nod* To answer your question, that line just says "# pointo no dameeji!" (# points of damage!). You can also add that when a Denjuu attacks with any move, it says "[name]'s attack! [attack name]!".

Now, when a single Denjuu faints it says "[name] collapsed!", but we could really use any other synonym, like "fell" or even "fainted". Even though it doesn't specifically say they faint, it's what Pokemon used for the exact same word. ^^; I think we should use one of the others for Telefang though, personally. XD
Also, at the end of a battle when all of the enemies are dead, it says "The enemy Denjuu were defeated!". I'm pretty sure it's the same line for 1vs1 and 3vs3 battles, so we might as well use were rather than was. >_< After that, it's "[name] got # points of experience!" for all of your Denjuu and "Got # Chiru!", the currency. I'd rather call it "Chil" or "Ch.", though... And experience could be shortened to "Exp."
When your whole team dies it says "You lost the battle". *nod*

XD I have Pokemon TCG for Gameboy, so I had to go check that. XD It looks like they, indeed, replaced all of the normal-width japanese with 3 pixel wide english letters, giving them twice as much space... It would be neat if we could do that just for the Denjuu and attack names, but I'm not sure if it would be possible with hex editing. >_< It's something to think about, I guess.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Kimbles wrote: Uh, but the lowercase and uppercase letters are the same size, right? ^^; It wouldn't make any difference...

Variable width fonts require ASM hacking. Also I am limited in the number of characters I can use.
Blaziken257 wrote:I made one or two changes to this patch... I added "___ appeared!", changed "Escape" to "Run," added the "Fight"/"Run" text in the battle screen, added the types (I used the same ones as the bootleg, because there's a 4-character limit, but I capitalized "Wood"), and... that's about it.
Score! Thanks.
Blaziken257 wrote:Since I made so few changes, I'm going to call this version number 5.1, as opposed to 6.
I just +1 the version number every time I post an update.
Kimbles wrote:Woo, good work! XD We're making good progress on this. I can't wait for the battles to be fully translated. :D
If you could keep helping on the translation side of things then we'd be all set.
Kimbles wrote:Flee/run away/escape are all the same word in japanese, so it really just depends on which you think sounds better. *nod* I think run looks good here, though.
"Flee" sounds better.
Kimbles wrote:After that, it's "[name] got # points of experience!" for all of your Denjuu and "Got # Chiru!", the currency. I'd rather call it "Chil" or "Ch.", though... And experience could be shortened to "Exp."
When your whole team dies it says "You lost the battle". *nod*
Saying Chiru in full sounds better to be honest.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I'm almost done adding all this new text in, so I'll post a patch pretty soon. So far, it's all working fine.

And yeah, it's probably possible to hack a variable width font, but it'd most likely be really, really hard to do...

That said, I've seen some impressive ASM hacks... here's one for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M9DkoKz6nc