Re: (Incomplete) Telefang English Translation

Discuss anything related to hacking ROMs of the Telefang games here.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Well, this has turned into the main topic for discussing the Telefang 1 translation patch.
Please post here if you have any issues using the patch or want to help out!

The most recent version, along with a list of changes, can be found on Wikifang or Github.

Please note that the patch is currently incomplete, and most of the game is still untranslated.
If you still want to use the current patch, here are some important things to keep in mind:

1) There are separate patches for Power and Speed that need to be applied to the relevant unmodified Japanese ROM.
2) Untranslated lines of text are replaced with placeholders that show the location of the line in the ROM. These look something like "/0x13001c/". This was done because the Japanese font was removed and the alternative was leaving scrambled text everywhere. (Note that phone conversations, text messages, and the towns and dungeons after Fraoula Village are still mostly untranslated, so you will come across this if you play long enough!)
3) Bug reports are much appreciated, but please check the issue tracker to see if it has already been reported first. It would help us if you could also mention what emulator (version) you were using when the problem occurred.

Enjoy! =)
FAQ:
(Please read this first before asking a question!)

Q: How do I patch the game?
Step 1: Download the latest patch file here along with an unmodified Japanese Telefang Power or Speed ROM. (Note that asking for ROMs here is against the rules.)
Step 2: Use an IPS patching program (such as LunarIPS) to apply the patch. You're done!
Alternatively, if you're using VBA you can get it to apply the patch automatically by naming the patch file the same as the ROM file and placing both of them in the same folder. (Make sure "Automatic IPS patching" is enabled.)

Q: Why are people talking to me in numbers and gameshark codes?
As mentioned above, the /0x??????/ numbers are placeholders that represent lines of text that haven't been translated. If you've started getting them when talking to NPCs, it means you've reached a part of the game that we haven't finished translating yet. (Sorry!) They aren't useful for the player, but they help us check if we've missed a line in the translation, and it's slightly more informative than leaving them as blank boxes or scrambled letters. The actual numbers are the address showing where the line is stored in the ROM (in hexidecimal), and you can see our progress on translating the game here.

Q: When will the translation be finished?
We're not giving any real estimates, but it will probably take a while. (The game is about 3/4 translated at the moment.) Rest assured though that we're completely dedicated to finishing it, we're just taking our time to guarantee the quality of the final product.

Q: Can I help out with the translation?
Right now, we are looking for translators ONLY if they are well-experienced in reading and translating Japanese to English, and can follow a similar style to what we have so far. We're also always on the lookout for English-savvy editors to proofread and streamline the translation. If you're interested in helping out with either position, please contact us on the Telefang Discord server. (We won't bite!)

Q: Can I translate the patch into different languages?
Sure, but please keep in mind that both the English script and coding work are incomplete right now. (It's advisable that you start a separate topic for any new translation projects.)

Q: I can't translate, but I still want to help out! What can I do to contribute?
Testing out the current patch (being aware that it's incomplete) and reporting any bugs, typos, or patch-related weirdness in this topic would be very helpful. If you're reporting a bug please include details like what emulator you were using, what you were doing to trigger the bug, and if it's repeatable. You could also stop by the Telefang Discord server to discuss the patch or to just say hello. =)

(Original post)

Well, I finally got around to getting a rom of the game, so the first thing I decided to do was to type out and translate the cutscene at the beginning of the game. So much of the bootleg's infamy comes from here, so I figured it would be interesting to see what they really meant. XD It's my first time translating any large amount of text, so I'm kind of proud of it. *nod*

<Matsukiyo>
I've heard that you can get to the Denjuu world through this giant tree.
I wonder it it's true...
The Denjuu world.....
I bet there's a lot of fun stuff to do there.
I wish I could go see it....
(ball flies in)
Th...that was close...
There's only one guy I know who could hit a ball this far..
(switch to shigeki)
<Shigeki>
Whoever hits it has to go pick it up, huh...
(miyo walks in)
<Miyo>
Hey there, Shigeki!
Huh? Could it be you're playing baseball again?
<Shigeki>
Well, if it isn't Miyo!
<Miyo>
Hmm.....
Aren't you and Matsukiyo the ones who've never been to the Denjuu world?
Oh well.
I'm going there right now, so if you start to regret it later, please come visit.
Later, bye-bye!
(leaves)
<Shigeki>
Darn it! What's with her!
Always bugging me like that..
When she's quiet she is pretty cute, though.....
Oh well, better look for that ball.
(walks up)
Hm? It's Matsukiyo.
What are you doing here?
<Matsukiyo>
Shigeki, so it really was you who hit the ball over here?
<Shigeki>
Yup! Pretty awesome, huh!
<Matsukiyo>
That was dangerous!!
A little closer and it would have hit me!!
<Shigeki>
Don't worry so much.
Y'know, you really should play baseball with us some time.
<Matsukiyo>
Aren't you interested in the Denjuu world, Shigeki?
It's blocked behind a curtain of darkness.
It's full of living creatures known as "Denjuu".
I want to make friends with as many Denjuu as possible!!
<Shigeki>
But we don't have a D-Shot.
Without a D-shot, we won't be able to get to the Denjuu world,
and you won't be able to make friends with them, right?
(ring ring)
<Matsukiyo>
Hm? A phone is ringing.
Is it coming from under that tree?
<Shigeki>
There's a cellphone on the ground, and it's a D-Shot...
<Matsukiyo>
Shigeki....
Answer it.
<Shigeki>
Wh...why me...
(ring ring)
<Matsukiyo>
Just do it!!
<Shigeki>
A, alright!
Hello......?

<???>
"Finally, we're connected..."
(shake shake shake)

<Both>
"Waaaaahhh!!"
(thunk)

<Matsukiyo>
... ... ...nng.. ...oww...
What happened...
(looks around)
Shigeki!
Shigeki!
It's terrible!!
<Shigeki>
Jeez, shut up!
My head hurts!
<Matsukiyo>
How can you tell me to shut up?!
This is serious!
<Shigeki>
What's so terrible, then..?
<Matsukiyo>
Alright, listen to me.
(pause)
We're in the Denjuu world!
(looks)
<Shigeki>
Whaaaat?!!
The Denjuu world!?
<Matsukiyo>
Most likely...
That D-Shot we picked up was the cause...
Look at the D-Shot's antenna for a second.
It shows 4 bars of reception, right?
Normal cellphones can only have up to 3 bars,
but this phone can even catch the airwaves from the Denjuu world!
A cellphone with 4 bars of reception!
That's what a D-Shot is!!
It lets you send calls to the Denjuu world,
and even allows humans to travel there!
It's truly an amazing piece of technology!
But it's strange...
Normally, D-Shots are really hard to get.
So why would someone just leave one there...
Hmm, it's a mystery!
Now then, where is this place?
We can't just stay put, let's start looking around!
(walk walk)
<Musa>
This is "Toronko village".
(jump)
Oh? Such lively children...
Could you be the chosen ones?
Hohoho.
No, nevermind.
Come, why not follow me to that house over there?
<Matsukiyo>
Shigeki, let's go with him.
This Denjuu doesn't look like a bad person.
If we follow him, we might learn something.
(go inside)
<Musa>
Hohoho.
There's nothing to be afraid of.
I'm not going to eat you or anything.
Now then, are you familiar with the Denjuu world?
(yes/no)
(no)
Ah, then I suppose I should explain.
The Human world and the Denjuu world...
The two worlds have always been seperated by the "curtain of darkness",
but Human scientists succeeded in finding a way to pass through it.
The Denjuu world is a harsh place to live, however...
Which is why the humans began to befriend us Denjuu.
After that, as a sign of the friendship between us, the humans gave us
the mobile "D-Shot" phones so that we could alway contact eachother.
(steps closer)
That's what the phone you
found under the tree is.
(back)
Even for us, contacting one's friends is an important part of life,
so cellphones suit us perfectly.
Because of this, it has become cutomary to exchange phone numbers with any friends we meet.
However, we Denjuu have other interests as well.
We often team up with our friends and take part in battles against other strong Denjuu.
Such battles are where true friendships can be born, you see.
These fights between Denjuu are known as "Telefang".
So?
Do you understand now?
(yes/no)
(yes)
Then we will discuss the reason you were called here.
A Denjuu named Netaro lives at this village's water source.
He's always dozing off.
Such a troublesome fellow....
Netaro has the important job of carrying water for the village,
but for the last few days we've been unable to contact him.
If he stops bringing the water, it will be trouble for everyone...
That's why we want to find him.
There is just one problem;
Netaro's younger brother, Nejiro.
He's another troublemaker...
He seems to have misunderstood the situation, and may end up trying to hurt you.
For that reason, I'm having take this Denjuu along with you.
Think of him as your first friend in the Denjuu world.
(krypto walks up)
<Krypto>
Hi! My name is Krypto!
This is my phone number.
Nice to meet you!
(got krypto's number)
<Musa>
Take this as well.
It's a "Map" of this world.
It's blank right now, but you should be able to record the places you've been with it.
I'm sure it will be of use to you.
You can view the Map by pressing the Start button.
(got map)
<Matsukiyo>
Shigeki, I want to look around this village a bit more, so I'll wait here.
Good luck!
<Krypto>
Come on, let's hurry go wake up Netaro!
<Musa>
Hohoho.
Well then, take care.
If you return, I'll show you something interesting.
(leave)

Sorry if it still sounds kind of wonky, but I tried my best... D: Also, it's worth noting that Musa is actually pretty rude when he mentions Netaro, since that didn't really come across in english. XD I actually didn't check the bootleg intro until after I was done, and it's interesting how close they got with some stuff... Still, it's obvious they were going by a dictionary for the japanese and completely failed at english grammar....

So, what do you guys think? :D
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Oh wow... I'm curious, how long did it take for you to do that? This is awesome! After reading this, it seems that the bootleg was WAY off at times... such as:

"Oh, it dangerous... Up here, only one man can fly over."

"Damn it! He's nothing! He just took the chance to make trouble! If he just shuts up, he may be a cute guy as well..."

"Oh! It must be sedge!" (I have no idea how they got THIS...)

"If you go a little further, you will knock into each other."

"Well, is that a cute kid? Are you a selected one?"

"You must bring me something back.Will you go to the electric monster's world or not?" (This makes it sound like Musa is asking if you WANT to go there, as opposed to understanding how it works.)

"Hey, watch your step then. Once I'm back, I'll show you funny things."

OK, I think I got my point across... bottom line, they REALLY screwed it up. I guess I should hack this text into the patch that andwhyisit started, though with text this long, it'll take me many hours to do (especially when I have to deal with pointers and stuff).

Oh, and since I started to write a review on this game for GameFAQs, this will help me a lot, since I can make the plot sound much more sensible. XD
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

XD Yeah, it took a while... Glad you like it~

And actually, a lot of those almost make sense if you look at the japanese... Like, "only one man can fly over" is because it literally said "only one person can make a ball fly this far". Also there's the fact that japanese doesn't really have gender-specific pronouns, and tends to leave pronouns out entirely half the time, leaving the poor bootleggers to guess. :O It looks like space constraints were a big issue for them, too, since they cut out half of the lines, but they also randomly assumed stuff like "walking straight along this tree" which wasn't in the japanese. And then there's Musa asking you if you'll go to the Denjuu world rather than if you know about it, which is seriously out of nowhere. D:
My favourite is the sedge, though, because they just mixed up sugee (awesome) with suge (sedge). XD Pretty sedge, huh...

I considered breaking it up into 15-character lines for the patch, but looking at how little space that actually gives us, I don't even want to think about that... >_< The "10 minute intro" would be somewhere up to 25... I would just as soon wait until we can do something about the text size, because even if the dialogue fits, there isn't enough room for any of the other text in the game... *sigh*
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Oh waow. Awesome! (sugee!)

Didn't actually know what actually happened at the start until now, so I sorta didn't get the storyline all this while... T.T lol. Haha. This helps lots of people, I tell you. It would help with the patch, as well as the wiki (and on Wikipedia too! needs to be updated), as well as other people thinking it's some 10 minute intro -.-

Anyway for the patch, I suppose after translation it would be summarisation? :)
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Kimbles wrote: I considered breaking it up into 15-character lines for the patch, but looking at how little space that actually gives us, I don't even want to think about that... >_< The "10 minute intro" would be somewhere up to 25... I would just as soon wait until we can do something about the text size, because even if the dialogue fits, there isn't enough room for any of the other text in the game... *sigh*
Actually, I don't think that's going to be much of an issue. In the ROM, 99% of the intro text seems to be located between $120000-$123FFF. But, you'll notice that from $122CDF-$123FFF (that's about 1/4 of the space), this space is COMPLETELY blank. So, I can utilize this unused space with the text, and edit the pointers where necessary. You'll see lots of 16384 (0x4000)-byte chunks (I think they're called "banks") where space is unused at the end. That is true for plenty of other games as well, I think.
Kid Sonic(imported)

Post by Kid Sonic(imported) »

Instead of "selected", you should say chosen. And why would there be a phone under a tree and not behind it.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257 wrote: OK, I think I got my point across... bottom line, they REALLY screwed it up. I guess I should hack this text into the patch that andwhyisit started, though with text this long, it'll take me many hours to do (especially when I have to deal with pointers and stuff).
Problem is that I can't ever seem to find the dialogue text pointers, nor the dialogue text, I am assuming some form of compression is involved. I started to learn assembly in order to find this text, but I try to fit too many things into my spare time at once and end up failing to get the time required to finish learning assembly and start back on this hack.

Here it is if anyone wants to take over:
http://www.mediafire.com/?lddymatjmvo

Note: I changed the order of the letter tiles to fit ascii values. You could pretty much open the rom in notepad and see my text changes in plain English.

I need to do a few Denjuu name changes but I probably won't have the will to work on this until I can change dialogue. Though when/if I can then the first thing to change would be the intro.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

andwhyisit wrote:
Blaziken257 wrote: OK, I think I got my point across... bottom line, they REALLY screwed it up. I guess I should hack this text into the patch that andwhyisit started, though with text this long, it'll take me many hours to do (especially when I have to deal with pointers and stuff).
Problem is that I can't ever seem to find the dialogue text pointers, nor the dialogue text, I am assuming some form of compression is involved. I started to learn assembly in order to find this text, but I try to fit too many things into my spare time at once and end up failing to get the time required to finish learning assembly and start back on this hack.

Here it is if anyone wants to take over:
http://www.mediafire.com/?lddymatjmvo

Note: I changed the order of the letter tiles to fit ascii values. You could pretty much open the rom in notepad and see my text changes in plain English.

I need to do a few Denjuu name changes but I probably won't have the will to work on this until I can change dialogue. Though when/if I can then the first thing to change would be the intro.
I already found the dialogue pointers/text a while ago... the pointers are located at $120000-$1201F9 (each pointer is two bytes long and is little endian), and the text itself is right after that. I already started to do this, and in fact spent hours doing it, so I'll just finish this part off. Hopefully I'll be done with it by tomorrow.

By the way, there ARE compressed tiles for the title screen, the phone menu screen, and some other screens. These are located from $0D8000-$0DFFFF. I tried modifying these tiles, but even with slight modifications, I get insane results. I have absolutely no clue on how to decompress it.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257 wrote: I already found the dialogue pointers/text a while ago... the pointers are located at $120000-$1201F9 (each pointer is two bytes long and is little endian), and the text itself is right after that. I already started to do this, and in fact spent hours doing it, so I'll just finish this part off. Hopefully I'll be done with it by tomorrow.

By the way, there ARE compressed tiles for the title screen, the phone menu screen, and some other screens. These are located from $0D8000-$0DFFFF. I tried modifying these tiles, but even with slight modifications, I get insane results. I have absolutely no clue on how to decompress it.
Can you by any chance add the translation to my patch?

Oh and I might try messing with the tiles. If I find something interesting I'll let you know.

I may also try updating the Denjuu names and attempt the menu after you are finished with the dialogue changes.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

You mean this intro or the entire game? I'm close to being done with translating the intro. Hopefully I'll be done by the end of the day. Also, I changed the "ナビ" text on the bottom and changed it to "NAV"... because I think that's what it's supposed to be (if I made it "NAVI", I would have had to scrunch up all the letters, which would have looked ugly... besides, I like the word "NAV" better than "NAVI" anyway)... not "NB" like the bootleggers thought...

Also, I changed the font to what the one I used in that other patch (the one based off DKC). I also changed the other scrunched up letters so that it blends in better. I just couldn't STAND that font used in Diamond... it was driving me nuts...