Re: Medarot!

Even though Telefang is a great game, there are other great games out there! Discuss games other than Telefang in this forum.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

a.k.a. Medabots.

Another monster-raising RPG series, this time with robots! D:

You collect and battle "Medarots", which are robots with interchangeable parts, controlled by medals placed in their backs. A person who uses Medarots is called a Medarotter, and competes against other Medarotters in Medarot battles known as Robottles, with the rule that the loser gives the winner one of the parts they used. *nod*

It had an anime of 52 episodes. XD (Opening)
It also had an english dub called "Medabots", that aired around the same time as Digimon and Yugioh. D: (Opening)

...I got really into this series recently, it's pretty stylish as far as monster-raising series go. XD It turns out it's actually a fairly big series (Medarot (GB) to Medarot 5 (GBC), plus a ton of spinoffs), and the anime is only based on Medarot 2. :O

In the games, you collect new parts by fighting random Medarotters, with different parts being found in different areas. XD Each Medarot requires head, legs, and 2 arm parts (it's just a frame underneath), which give it its HP, stats, and attacks. XD Robottles are 3 vs 3, and in them each part has its own HP and can be attacked/broken. When a part breaks, you're left without its bonuses, and when the head part breaks (usually last), your Medarot is destroyed. D: The goal is to destroy the enemy in the first slot (the leader), before they get yours. XD
The Medals are the part that gain experience and level up, as well as what decides the kind of attacks your Medarot is best at. (Shooting, striking, defending, support, etc.) The more you use a type of attack, the better the Medal becomes at it. :D They also change shape when they level up enough. XD
Compared to Pokemon, the games also have more focus on characters and story, like Telefang does but moreso. *nod* They're also completely un-serious, so they're pretty entertaining to play. XD Overall, it's a really fun and charming set of games, and it's a shame we nearly missed it entirely. D;

Following the dub, two GBA games were released in english: "Medabots", an anime-styled remake of Medarot 2, and "Medabots AX", a spinoff with action-based 2D battles. D: Though AX was actually based on Medarot G, which used characters from Medarot 5. D: So since we never got Medarot 5, they replaced the characters with the ones from 2... :/

It's also worth noting that the games were developed by Natsume and published by Imagineer, the owners of Rocket Company. XD This makes it a pretty close cousin to Telefang, which was developed by Natsume and published by Smilesoft. XD Each game had two versions released, a Kabuto (Hercules beetle) and Kuwagata (Stag beetle) version. XD The main difference was your starting Medarot, either a Kabuto-type named Metabee, or a Kuwagata-type named Rokushou... Oh japan, you and your beetle fights. XD

There was also a manga series in Comic Bom Bom for each of the main games. XD The Medarot 2 manga was released in english as Medabots. *nod* Our issues of Bom Bom have the Medarot 5 manga. XD

So yeah. XD I really like this series, though I've only really played Medarot 1 and 5 so far. *nod* I have copies of Medarot 1 and Medarot Card Robottle, which is based on the official card game. XD (Pic)
The anime is also pretty good, but the dub changed a lot of stuff and basically killed its charm, so I can't really recommend it. :/ The game and manga translations were based on it too, and no fan translations exist for any part of the series. ;_;
It's really an interesting case, though. XD I'd like to see these games get more attention someday, too...
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Seems like a nice series! I never played it. Have a romanization patch for the first TRADING CARD game (Kabuto version). I only did katakana, though, because this game uses Kanji. Ouch.

Anyways, I'll play it tomorrow. Right now I have to get ready for that exam x_x

Is it a card game? o:
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I've heard of this game somewhere before... I saw one of the GBC games on YouTube once. The music had a similar style to Telefang, which is cool. The battle system looked interesting, and I also liked how the monsters are side by side, instead of that cliche Pokémon system where there's one monster on the bottom left and another on the top right. Of course, I couldn't really understand what was going on due to the language barrier. (I swear that if it weren't for that Diamond bootleg, I'd find Telefang a lot harder to figure out.)

I should try it one day... even if I can't understand it. Ha ha. I also find it funny that it was made by the company who owned Rocket Company. Hopefully Imagineer is better than Rocket is at making games...

Oh and you actually have some of the games? I can't believe it? Just how many Japanese games do you have, anyway? You seem to have a lot of them!

And it didn't take long for a patch to show up!
Kimbles(imported)

XD Yeah, though the actual game-making was done by Natsume, which means most of the staff is the same as Telefang. XD Including the music~

Here's some pictures of Medarot 5, which is super-stylish. XD
Image Image Image

Image Image Image

...Yeah. XD Here's a video that shows the battle system more.... (Link)
XD It has kanji in a GBC game, but for the most part it's not bad... The main character is named Koishimaru Tensan, and most of the game takes place around a small town named Susutake. XD It's really well done, but also really text heavy.... *sigh*

Indeed though, there was an official card game. XD I don't know the rules well enough, but it has seperate cards for each part, and it seems to stay close to the battle system in the games. *shrug* Though really, Japan has card games for practically everything. XD I saw at least 5 different TCGs advertised in Bom Bom...

By the way Sanky, which game is the romanization patch for...? ^^; It doesn't work for any of mine, and I didn't think Medarot 1 had any kanji in it... >_<;
Blaziken257 wrote:Just how many Japanese games do you have, anyway? You seem to have a lot of them!
XD About this many. *nod*
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Kimbles wrote: By the way Sanky, which game is the romanization patch for...? ^^; It doesn't work for any of mine, and I didn't think Medarot 1 had any kanji in it... >_<;
For the first one on GBC, Medarot Cardrobottle Kabuto version..? *shrug*
I dunno if it actually has Kanji ingame, but I saw it in the ROM.

EDIT: Yes it does.. \:

EDIT2: It's for the card game. I got confused, sorry >___>;;
Kimbles(imported)

And guess what, A DS game was just announced. XD By Rocket Company. (!!!!)

Medarot DS official site (under construction)
Some magazine scans

Rocket also updated their site with a banner for it, pretty awesome. XD
Guys, this is seriously their first RPG in 5 years, and the first real Medarot sequel in 8 years... XD This is the most unlikely thing ever, and it's actually happening. XD

The game itself seems to have new characters but plenty of old Medarots, 3D battles, and online battles over wi-fi. (!!) D: And while it's Rocket, they're making a big deal about having the original staff working on it and everything, so maybe they're finally smartening up...? :D

In case it hasn't been clear, I've been completely obsessed with this series for the last while...XD I got the manga series with our last set of Bom Boms, and I've been busy working on a wiki... I'll get back to Telefang soon, but oh jeez this is such good news... XD *can't wait*
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Maybe I should get that gba Medarot game listed on rocket's site.

..or Medarot 5. *longingly stares*
Kimbles wrote:And guess what, A DS game was just announced. XD By Rocket Company. (!!!!)

Some magazine scans

Guys, this is seriously their first RPG in 5 years, and the first real Medarot sequel in 8 years... XD This is the most unlikely thing ever, and it's actually happening. XD

The game itself seems to have new characters but plenty of old Medarots, 3D battles, and online battles over wi-fi. (!!) D: And while it's Rocket, they're making a big deal about having the original staff working on it and everything, so maybe they're finally smartening up...? :D
The original staff? An RPG?

OMG YES!!

For DS?

*cries in a corner*
Kimbles(imported)

You don't have a DS? XD That's a shame...

The one on their site is Shingata Medarot, which was the last Medarot game made... Basically, it's a remake of the first Medarot game, but with all of the characters changed and a rather disturbing/unfortunate artstyle. XD It's proably playable, but I don't really recommend it since it's just nowhere near as cool as the other games, like it just misses the point... *sigh*
Tkallab(imported)

Post by Tkallab(imported) »

Medabots DS? I got severely addicted to the GBA version a few days ago! This is the best!
:)
Blizzardoom(imported)

Post by Blizzardoom(imported) »

Kimbles wrote:And guess what, A DS game was just announced. XD By Rocket Company. (!!!!)

Some magazine scans

In case it hasn't been clear, I've been completely obsessed with this series for the last while...XD I got the manga series with our last set of Bom Boms, and I've been busy working on a wiki... I'll get back to Telefang soon, but oh jeez this is such good news... XD *can't wait*
Uhh...do you mind If I help you with your wiki? I could probably fill in some of the missing ones with at least a few images of them, and maybe a small description...