Monster collecting/raising RPGs vs Pokemon

Even though Telefang is a great game, there are other great games out there! Discuss games other than Telefang in this forum.
Sonic_Girl(imported)

Re: Monster collecting/raising RPGs vs Pokemon

Post by Sonic_Girl(imported) »

andwhyisit wrote: Triple posting is a bad idea. Use the preview button to turn the quoted text into
wrote: tags, then you can just cut and paste quotes into one post.
Yeah, Kimbles pmed me about that. I realized it wasn't a good idea when it was too late. Sorry everyone...
ChaosProductions(imported)

Post by ChaosProductions(imported) »

*drags topic out of the grave and casts samarecarm*

This topic is relevant to me just because monster-raising, the genre, goes a lot deeper than a lot of people think - it's a gameplay design decision first and foremost. Many racing games - NFS Carbon is a pretty egregious example - appeal to me the same way as monster-raising games because they employ similar mechanics - you maintain a stable of cars that you improve in order to compete against the cars of others. It's a car-raising game.

Branching into another genre, the first Ghost Recon game had you outfitting a team of 12-24 soldiers with equipment you purchase with your growing funds pool. After missions, every soldier you brought gets two stat points for you to distribute; after every few missions, your soldiers learn abilities that let them defy death once or extend the range of their rifle-class weapons. Soldier-raising game!

I could get into a Shin Megami Tensei rant but then I'd be here until tomorrow and I'd get temp-banned for quintuple-posting.

THESIS STATEMENT: Monster raising is a specialized instance of a specialized style of gameplay - it's going to be niche! Just keep rollin' your funk and ignore those unenlightened goons. B)

EDIT: What kind of word is "formost"? :fungus:
AgentBJ09(imported)

Post by AgentBJ09(imported) »

andwhyisit wrote:Is it just me or is every game from the monster raising/collecting rpg sub-genre labeled as a Pokemon clone these days? People barely say "monster raising rpg" anymore, it is just "Pokemon clone". *sigh*

It's just that I saw news about this monster raising RPG called Invisimals and every news article that talked about it threw around the phrase "Pokemon clone" like it was an actual genre.

Sorry, I needed to rant.
That's something born from "brand loyalty". I've seen it a lot on The Escapist, IGN, Gamespot, ect. Most of those places have staff and members who grew up on Pokemon, and as a result, they see anything that could have taken some inspiration, real or imagined, from Pokemon, as a clone.

I own Invizimals right now, have the sequel reserved for Day 1 pickup, and when I was demoing it inside my local Gamestop for any potential buyers, that was one of the responses I heard from a parent. "Oh, is it like Pokemon?"

It drives me nuts too, that people use a phrase like that to overlook games and series that could in fact be good. I've found some of my all time favorite games that way, by throwing caution to the wind and grabbing an item to try that I thought was cool.

Still, if you hear that "clone" phrase, here's a response I've tried before that sometimes works. "Can you tell me how it's a clone beyond having a collection of monsters?"
Mustache(imported)

Post by Mustache(imported) »

I'd heard about a talking from the creator of "Medabots".
After Pokemon, her members were ordered by their boss as "Make a Pokemon clone!"
They obeyed to that exactly.
However, somehow her co-worker, a one of the planner put his taste into the works too much.
It made another co-worker angry, and that guy just did as totally his mate wanted."Let it go"
Then, "Medabots" were born.
People said them. "It's Pokemon clone."
They answered "Oh, yes. We tried to make that kind of thing.(at first)"

They all knew Pokemon have big influence on them.
They didn't make that if Pokemon was not exist.
They admitted it by themselves.
I guess the "clone" is the start-line, isn't it?

In Japan, DQ(DragonWarrior)-type, FF-type RPGs were normal labels for JRPGs.
(The differences are battle screen was front or side-viewing.
Recently, both aren't limited that way. so we didn't use that type-name so much.)
Rogue-type for mystery dungeons, Wiz(Wizardry)-type for 3D
and I don't know how to call it English but SimulationRPGs are called "スパロボ"(SuperRobotWars)-type

It's just as like that. Water-type, or Grass-type Pokemon. That was not all the stats.
And if the label isn't exist yet, it mean that there are a risk of anyone won't buy the game.
If there is a Star-type Pokemon now, are you use it?
It could be only strong to Bug-type, perhaps weak to Water&Psychic-type. we don't know.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Very interesting! I think it's probably safe to say that the monster-raising genre came as a combination of virtual pets and RPG elements, Pokémon just happens to be the most well-known so "Pokémon-clone" is what people think of. A lot of monster-raising games stray pretty far from that formula however (Monster Rancher, for example.)
whitewolfy(imported)

Post by whitewolfy(imported) »

To be honest, most of frenches and swiss people don't know anything about Telefang 1 and 2, and the majority of the very few peoples who knows about it knows only the bootlegg Diamond version, and think that this game is a bad copy of pokémon-games which is very annoying and make me sad.
wrote:andwhyisit
Jun 10 2009, 11:55 PM
Is it just me or is every game from the monster raising/collecting rpg sub-genre labeled as a Pokemon clone these days? People barely say "monster raising rpg" anymore, it is just "Pokemon clone". *sigh*

It's just that I saw news about this monster raising RPG called Invisimals and every news article that talked about it threw around the phrase "Pokemon clone" like it was an actual genre.

Sorry, I needed to rant.
wrote:AgentBJ09
That's something born from "brand loyalty". I've seen it a lot on The Escapist, IGN, Gamespot, ect. Most of those places have staff and members who grew up on Pokemon, and as a result, they see anything that could have taken some inspiration, real or imagined, from Pokemon, as a clone.
That is sûrely the same for some frenches websites like "Jeuxvidéo.com" and others...