Re: Did anyone go to Toys R Us for the Darkrai Event?

Discuss the Pokémon series of games here.
Tkallab(imported)

Post by Tkallab(imported) »

I think Pokémon already became too far-fetched when they created Mewtwo. And how could he be on the pokedex, before Mew? But okay, I don't really care. Then Celebi. I think it could be plausible in the pokemon universe, but still. I love the story of Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza, and it's possible. But you shouldn't be able to catch Jirachi, because he'd disappear after seven days, and Deoxys coming from space? And it's on the pokedex? ...How?
Now, the interesting part. First, Arceus. First, He created time and space, Dialga and Palkia. But if there was no time and space, where was Arceus? Is he really god? Then why don't people worship him? And how could two pokemon be the embodiment of time and space?
Then, Arceus created willpower, knowledge and emotion (Zeeeeeeeldaaaaa). THey, Mesprit, Uxie and Azelf, created humans. After that, Arceus went to sleep or something like that.
Giratina was just some kind of extra ledgendary in D/P, but in platinum he has his own dimension, because he is the 'opposite' of our world (yes, he IS that world).
The wierdest part is that you can actually catch all of these pokemon. The world eeds balance between normal and Giratina, for some reason. So you catch Giratina. Why do you still exist? How are you still a person when Uxie. Mesprit and Azelf are trapped in little capsules? How can you still move when you accidentaly defeat Dialga? Well, Satoshi?
I like the balance between cresselia and Darkrai, but the voice that appears when you fought darkrai on Yaddayadda Island... Whas that Arceus? What if you already caught Arceus?
Nintendo, stop contradicting yourself and either don't make pokemon like that or make them uncatchable. Jeez.

No offense ;)
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

As far as Pokédex entries are concerned, I always found the theory that they're actually filled out by 10-year-olds pretty amusing. "Ponyta is uhh... it has hooves harder than DIAMONDS!! and uhhhhhhhh it can jump OVER BUILDINGS."

Anyway, the only event legendary I've ever gotten was the Toys R Us Mew a few years ago, I got three of them and kept one for myself, gave one to my sister, and one to my fiance. The line for it was ridiculous, but back in those days -fist shake- we had to use a trading cable and an expendable Pokémon! None of these fancy WiFis.
Tkallab(imported)

RacieB wrote:As far as Pokédex entries are concerned, I always found the theory that they're actually filled out by 10-year-olds pretty amusing. "Ponyta is uhh... it has hooves harder than DIAMONDS!! and uhhhhhhhh it can jump OVER BUILDINGS."

Anyway, the only event legendary I've ever gotten was the Toys R Us Mew a few years ago, I got three of them and kept one for myself, gave one to my sister, and one to my fiance. The line for it was ridiculous, but back in those days -fist shake- we had to use a trading cable and an expendable Pokémon! None of these fancy WiFis.
Lol at the pokedex entries. Let me try one.

Ahum. >.> Alright. *cough*
Bulbiesor is a green froggie with a green thingie on his back. He can shoot seeds from the thingie. He is cute, but also cool. He evolves into Iviesor, who is also cool but not cute.

Oh yeah. You gave a pokemon to your fiance?
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Maybe the Arceus/Dialga/Palkia/Giratina you catch are just instances of the real Arceus/Dialga/Palkia/Giratina?
Tkallab(imported)

I don't think that's possible, because Cyrus wanted to use (or destroy, I don't remember) Dialga or Palkia (or both in Platinum) to completely delete the world in order for it to become perfect. So he summoned them, and the world began to distort. If they weren't the real dialga and palia, that wouldn't have happened. And the dialga and/or palkia you catch are the same cyrus summoned. (well, I'm not sure about platinum, but you fight Dialga/Palkia immediately after defeating Cyrus. In Platinum they disappear after you come back from the Torn world, but when you find their orbs, they return to spear pillar.)
Giratina could very well be an instance of the Torn world, as the torn world doesn't disappear when you fight Giratina. But Giratina is supposed to be the third pokemon of the trio, so he should be the same as palkia and Dialga. I'm not entirely sure about what I think of Giratina.
Arceus. Not much is known about him, but appearantly when youplay the azure flute on spear pillar, glass-like stairs appear, and on top of the stairs is Arceus. It's possible that he lived there, but he could also be summoned by the flute. Arceus could be the real Arceus (could be, according to Nintendo) or just a phony, but my brain is tired now. Does anyone have a nice theory?
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

I think this confusion is caused by the changing status of the legendaries over the years.. in Kanto and Johto, the legendaries were rare and powerful Pokémon but they weren't really personifications of forces of nature (and oftentimes it was implied that there were multiples of these species, as few as they were.)

In Hoenn, they introduced a lot more of them and while most were of the previous flavor, it seems they started playing with the idea of superlegendaries when they created the weather trio. "Groudon created the land! Kyogre created the sea! Rayquaza doesn't care! The Regis.. errr..mm.... they were locked up. We don't take kindly to them 'round here." It seems like they created this force-of-nature status solely to one up the previous gens and to make for a bigger plot device (THE WORLD IS BEING DESTROYED BY MONSTERS! ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE TO CATCH MONSTERS!?) Remember, the plots of 1st and 2nd gen were "be a League Champion, oh also Team Rocket are not so nice." 3rd gen was "be a LeaAAAAHHHHH THE WEATHER MY EYES!!"

So, when they created Sinnoh, they decided they must one up the previous gen again, and threw out even more legendaries than before. A couple of them are still just rare/powerful Pokémon, but now we also have the leaders of Time, Space, uhhh... Opposite Day... and Everything. All in all, it's very silly and makes for a confusing time when you try to figure out just what being a legendary means.
Tkallab(imported)

I like the Hoenn story, because Kyogre, Groudon and Rayquaza are practically just very strong pokemon that can control weather. Nothing wrong with that, right? Slightly plausible. But controlling time and space?
Actually, pokemon is one of the things that made me become atheistic.
Man, I love this thread.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

andwhyisit wrote:Maybe the Arceus/Dialga/Palkia/Giratina you catch are just instances of the real Arceus/Dialga/Palkia/Giratina?
This reminded me, in HGSS there's that Arceus event which allows you to create a new Lv1 Dialga/Palkia/Giratina, so in game canon I suppose that means they are not unique (or that the Holy Goat doesn't give a toss for the space-time continuum. Either way.)
Tkallab(imported)

Nice, I forgot about that. Ummm... Maybe there is an amount of Dialga-power (from diamond-perspective), and Cyrus summoned all of it, so there wasn't anything left in Dialga's dimension, and you catch just a small amount of this power, or something. But you fight Dialga right after it was summoned, so there wouldn't be a chance for it's power to go back to his dimension. It'd make more sense in platinum, where both Dialga and Palkia go back after everything is peaceful again, then come back when you find there orbs. Maybe those orbs brought a small amount of their power come here?
Then giratina. Cyrus wanted to just shut him up. How would he do that? By defeating it? The player did the same thing, and then, there was peace. And if he was afraid of Cyrus, fared that he could defeat him,he'd just have to flee. Cyrus wouldn't be able to do anything. I just don't get it.
Giratina is the torn world, so he'd have to have all his power there, if my new theory is right. So it contradicts itself, because the torn world should disappear when Giratina is defeated. Cyrus may not fight Giratina, because he would destroy him, but you do practically the same thing when you fight him. You defeat him like Cyrus would do, or you would seal him in a verrrry small room...
Any thoughts about Giratina?
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Then again you could be catching or defeating a physical instance. These "god" pokemon may not have a material form, so they create one. As such there could be hundreds of instances representing just one entity. If these pokemon decided that they didn't want to follow you then they could just let go of their physical forms. Hell Arceus could be in a shrine halfway across the world and fighting a level 2 Pidgey with you at the same time.

So it the end you are not really catching a "god pokemon".