Re: Did anyone go to Toys R Us for the Darkrai Event?

Discuss the Pokémon series of games here.
Tkallab(imported)

Post by Tkallab(imported) »

Cool... I won't be getting my Celebi for the next few months.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Is that thing the Japanese bonus disk for Pokémon Colosseum? O_o I feel cheated that only Japan had the chance to get Celebi. Hey, I wonder... it is even possible to get Celebi legally outside of Japan?

(I do have an Action Replay for GBA though XD)

Also, is that Bonus Disk compatible with English versions, or only Japanese versions? (Unless you have a Japanese version...)

I have the Bonus Disk that came with the American version of the game, though. It comes with Jirachi, though, and it's only compatible with Ruby and Sapphire. Since I have Emerald, though, maybe I can trade my Jirachi to Emerald, use the cloning glitch, use Pal Park, and trade it on Wi-Fi for those who have a Pokémon game for the DS if anybody wants...
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257 wrote:Is that thing the Japanese bonus disk for Pokémon Colosseum? O_o I feel cheated that only Japan had the chance to get Celebi. Hey, I wonder... it is even possible to get Celebi legally outside of Japan?

(I do have an Action Replay for GBA though XD)

Also, is that Bonus Disk compatible with English versions, or only Japanese versions? (Unless you have a Japanese version...)

I have the Bonus Disk that came with the American version of the game, though. It comes with Jirachi, though, and it's only compatible with Ruby and Sapphire. Since I have Emerald, though, maybe I can trade my Jirachi to Emerald, use the cloning glitch, use Pal Park, and trade it on Wi-Fi for those who have a Pokémon game for the DS if anybody wants...
Yes. There was an event to get Celebi, and the Japanese Bonus Disc method is legal. Unlike other events where you were given a ticket/chart and had to catch it yourself Celebi was just transferred to an open slot in your party.

Action Replay is cheating though.

Here is the trick, the Japanese Bonus Disc is only compatible with the Japanese GBA Pokemon games, but you can trade from any Japanese GBA Pokemon game to any English GBA Pokemon game (and vice versa).

I have Pokemon Channel for getting Jirachi. Though I would probably only ever play that game if no-one else was around.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

So there was an event for Celebi... I rarely hear about these events, and it's always inconvenient for me to do anyway. Not to mention they are only around for a finite time -- if you miss it, it's too late, and then you NEED to cheat to get it. The only event Pokémon I ever got were the Wi-Fi ones, which were Rotom and Darkrai, plus Jirachi from the Colosseum Bonus Disc.

I initially got an Action Replay before Colosseum was out, so that I could get Pokémon that weren't in Ruby/Sapphire. At the time, it was the only possible way to do so. I rarely use it now except for the obscure event Pokémon. And since I don't have any Japanese Pokémon games, it's the only way that I can get Celebi at all.

BTW, was it even possible to get Celebi in non-Japanese Crystal? I know in the Japanese version, you can use that cell phone thing (Were cell phones the craze in the early 2000's in Japan? First there was the Phone Card for the PokéGear in Gold/Silver and later Crystal as well, then there was Telefang, then Crystal had the phone adapter thing) to get the GS Ball, but the rest of the world got deprived of that, and I don't think there was any way to get it, even though there is supposedly unused text for it in the English version. That's one of the reasons why I got a GameShark for GBC back in the day (which I still have...).

And I never knew you could trade Japanese GBA games with non-Japanese GBA games... were Ruby and Sapphire the first to do that? (And what would happen to a Pokémon name with 5 or more letters? Would it get stripped down to 5, Telefang style?)

I don't have Pokémon Channel, and I never knew that you could get Jirachi that way... unless Americans don't have that option.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

When I was growing up, nearly every kid I knew who played Pokemon had a gameshark so they could get the event Pokemon. >_> It pisses me off so much, since most of them couldn't figure out how to work it without breaking their save, and the others just used it to hax a team of 6 legendaries with max stats or whatever, which very quickly removes any point to the game. Honestly, cheating devices are close to my least favourite things ever and I intend to never get one on principle, even if they can be useful for other things. :/

I'm pretty sure the Celebi event in japanese crystal was a limited-time thing as well, so pretty much like the current wi-fi events but requiring you to own a peripheral for it and a japanese cellphone. Makes me feel a bit better about missing it, though I do have a japanese copy of crystal just to see the unique stuff. XD (The "odd egg" you get is replaced with an "egg ticket" that you trade for an odd egg on the cellphone network. So basically it's a ripoff since the servers are long gone anyway...)

Ru/Sa was the first generation that let you trade between english and japanese games, and I seem to recall that japanese Pokemon would keep their names when traded, along with the weird stretched out font if they had been named in english. I'm also pretty curious how it works the other way, though. XD
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

I don't know if it happens when you trade the Pokémon, but by importing a save from English emerald to a Japanese one, the names just get cut:
When you import the same save back into the English version, the names return to their original lenght, however.