Re: The GTS has been reverse engineered. Hooray!

Discuss the Pokémon series of games here.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I first heard of this when Sanky once told me about it, then I was recently reminded of it again when reading an article about it on Bulbanews. Basically, by changing settings on your DS, it is possible to make your DS connect to a server other than the Nintendo's GTS server. In other words, it can connect to some fake GTS server, and trick the game into thinking it's connecting to the real GTS. This is useful for unofficial events, and to obtain whatever Pokémon you want. It's also incredibly simple to do, as you do not need any third party devices like Action Replay or flash carts in order to do this. This works with every Gen IV game: Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold, and SoulSilver.

The first way that this is useful is that you can point your DS to some fanmade server to get unofficial, fanmade event Pokémon. Indeed, this website exists for this very purpose. As of now, the website is currently distributing a Jigglypuff nicknamed Puffy, with the moves Hyper Voice, Protect, Thunderbolt, and Thunder Wave. It is at Level 41. All you need to get this Pokémon is a DS and Wi-Fi. The instructions to obtain it are on the website, however, I'll post it here anyway:
Spoiler!
1. On the continue screen (i.e. the one after the title screen), go to Nintendo Wi-Fi settings.
2. Choose one of your three wireless connections (assuming that you already have one), and go to the settings.
3. In the option for Auto-Obtain DNS, select No.
4. For the primary DNS, enter 208.111.34.248. This will connect to the unofficial server instead of Nintendo's.
5. Leave the secondary DNS alone.
6. Save your settings. Do not press B here, as this will undo all changes. You have to select "Save Settings" on the bottom.
7. Now go back to the title screen, continue as normal, and go to the GTS. Enter it, and you will receive a Jigglypuff (or whatever event Pokémon is available as of the time you're reading this)!
8. After receiving it, remember to change your settings back to normal by selecting Yes for Auto-obtain DNS.
9. The website is programmed so that you can't get the same event Pokémon twice in the same game. So don't bother trying to get 6 Jigglypuffs by doing this.
Now, the other use of spoofing the GTS is that, with a program called Sendpkm on your computer, your computer can pretend to be a GTS server, and your DS can connect to it. (See details here). The program uses files with a .pkm extension, which is used by the Pokésav, a save editor. You can find Pokésav easily on Google if you want to create your own Pokémon -- it takes save files and creates 236-byte Pokémon files from the save file. You can also find lots of pkm files here, which are primarily event Pokémon. So if you missed out on Arceus (which I did, since there isn't a Toys 'R Us anywhere near where I live), Shaymin, Regigigas, etc., then you can get them at this site. (Download the pkm files, not the Wonder Cards.) I feel that this completely fair to do, since Nintendo likes to make these Pokémon as inaccessible as humanly possible. (Why can't they take the Telefang or Animal Crossing approach, where you can input a password/telephone number/etc. to get these Pokémon? They would still be elusive, but at least they would be possible to get for everybody.)

Then, as I said previously, in addition to the event Pokémon on that site, you can also use sendpkm for your own Pokémon. You can either create them from scratch with Pokésav, or if you already happen to be playing Pokémon on an emulator, you can take the save file and use Pokésav to create pkm files from your Pokémon. (Note: The Pokémon must be in your party, not a box!) You probably have to convert your emulator save file to a raw save file to do this -- use this online tool. And since the emulator Desmume supports Pal Park, it's even possible to get any Pokémon from emulated Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald/FireRed/LeafGreen to your real DS as well (which I've done before). So you can use sendpkm to get Pokémon from an emulator to a real DS!

As a gift for reading this whole thing, here are some Pokémon of mine for you to have, in the form of pkm files:

Deoxys (Defense Forme): http://www.mediafire.com/?dfnmljth3to
Mewtwo: http://www.mediafire.com/?nv50t3ybc2y
Kyogre: http://www.mediafire.com/?nr5ymgadmnm

The Deoxys and Mewtwo were obtained from an emulated LeafGreen, and the Kyogre was obtained from an emulated Sapphire. Deoxys has a Calm (+SD -Atk) nature, Mewtwo is Timid (+Spd -Atk), and Kyogre is Modest (+SpA -Atk). They all also have rare berries: Deoxys has Liechi Berry (a very elusive berry -- as far as I know, it's only possible to get in Mirage Island, event Shiny Zigzagoon, and the recent event Jirachi), Mewtwo has Salac Berry (which can be obtained from Colosseum among other ways), and Kyogre has Petaya Berry (also obtainable in Colosseum). To be honest, I cheated to get the berries, but I don't think anybody will mind. :P They were all freshly caught, meaning that none of them gained any Exp., or have any EVs, and their movesets are whatever they were when I caught them. I don't know what their IVs are, because I didn't bother to check.

(Wondering why these Pokémon seem to gain a lot of experience, even for traded Pokémon? Here's a hint: check their Pokédex entries if you have Platinum, HeartGold, or SoulSilver.)

Finally, I have more Pokémon coming soon... I can't say what they are going to be though, except I can't promise ANYTHING from Generation IV.
SM-dood(imported)

Post by SM-dood(imported) »

I missed out on Arceus too. :(

Is this considered a form of hacking?
Tkallab(imported)

Post by Tkallab(imported) »

Duuuuuude, I seriously love you for sharing this! Now I have Arceus (I missed it too) and all that jazz, And I can share my Platinum and Soul Silver pokes!
Heh, if it wasn't for telefang I would never have found out about this. So I hereby personally thank curry.
ChaosProductions(imported)

Post by ChaosProductions(imported) »

Blaziken257 wrote:(Why can't they take the Telefang or Animal Crossing approach, where you can input a password/telephone number/etc. to get these Pokémon? They would still be elusive, but at least they would be possible to get for everybody.)
Indeed. Even SMT is catching on to this - You can export and register Demon Passwords. Anyone want a Lv57 Black Frost or a Lv60 Alice?
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

I think this is very cool, but the best application for it would be copying the wi-fi events that give you items for meeting event Pokemon in-game. Has anyone done that yet?

I dunno, trading for a hacked or cloned event pokemon seems exactly the same as using an action replay for it... Even if it's possible now without a cheating device, it's still a hollow victory. ): I want to at least be able to catch the Pokemon myself in that case...

It also annoys me that people can make whatever broken pokemon they want with this and trade it to their game, but what can you do. *sigh*
Tkallab(imported)

Of course, you should only get pokemon that are otherwise unobtainable (like gamestop arceus), or else you take all the fun out of the game.
And there is this thingie called pokesav with what you can load wonder cards onto your DS, but you need to get your .sav file so it won't work with retail games.

Oh, and GTS checks the legality of the pokemon (except the movset), so you can't get 255 EVs for all statsand stuff.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Kimbles wrote:I dunno, trading for a hacked or cloned event pokemon seems exactly the same as using an action replay for it... Even if it's possible now without a cheating device, it's still a hollow victory. ):
Exactly my thoughts on the matter.
Tkallab(imported)

You should just see it as a way to get event pokes that are no longer obtainable.
Like arceus an jirachi and regigigas that activates the other regis in platinum.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I do use it for event Pokémon that I missed out on, either because they were inaccessible (such as the numerous ones featured at Toys 'R Us) or I didn't know about them (like the Wi-Fi thing for Shaymin). I still haven't used the event Arceus to get to Sinjoh Ruins in HeartGold, but I will... eventually.

The other thing I use it for is to transfer emulator-obtained Pokémon from my computer (such as some of the ones I have in LeafGreen and Sapphire) to my real DS.

And it's now possible to do this in reverse -- transfer a Pokémon from your DS to your computer. When I don't feel like spending hours breeding and EV training, I just edit the EVs this way -- saves a lot of time.

Hmmm... a long time ago, I used an AR to catch Deoxys in FireRed (a real copy, not an emulated one). Maybe I should migrate it and upload it for everybody to have.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Blaziken257 wrote:The other thing I use it for is to transfer emulator-obtained Pokémon from my computer (such as some of the ones I have in LeafGreen and Sapphire) to my real DS.
If you have the LeafGreen and Sapphire carts then all you need is an R4, a DS, and "GBA Backup Tool 0.21" to transfer your save files to the carts (or for DS games just run them off of the R4). It's actually more convenient that way to be honest since it allows me to play my GBA games on either my PSP, my computer, or on AA batteries with the GBA. Because a wall charger is quite useless when you have nothing to plug it into.
Tkallab wrote:You should just see it as a way to get event pokes that are no longer obtainable.
Like arceus an jirachi and regigigas that activates the other regis in platinum.
Jirachi is quite accessable without the use of events. You can get it via either Pokemon Channel or the US Colosseum Bonus Disk.