Fake Pokémon Emerald

Talk about bootleg games in this forum.
Sherkel(imported)

Re: Fake Pokémon Emerald

Post by Sherkel(imported) »

A while back, I received a fake copy of Emerald in the mail instead of a real one. If anyone wants the ROM, it's in the description here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwVi3f6d3u0
All that seems to be changed is a message upon startup, but the ROM is twice the size. The day after I got this, my brothers received a fake Sapphire and fake FireRed. These seem to be invading the market.
Anyone gotten anything similar?
TulunkBeast(imported)

Post by TulunkBeast(imported) »

It saves and everything? And I'm curious as to why its double the size.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Rochopper2 wrote:It saves and everything? And I'm curious as to why its double the size.
Incorrect rom size header info most likely. The dumper continues to dump data until it reaches the size specified in the rom header. You'll find that the rom had been dumped 2 times in that 32MByte file.

@Tombstoner: Posting links to roms is against the rules ya know.
This might be a bit more appropriate:
http://www.mediafire.com/?hcuar151a130mji
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

That's very interesting...XD Could get a clearer picture of the cartridge though? I can't really tell how it looks different from the video.
It's kind of worrying that Amazon sellers sell fakes like this too, though. If I were you I'd want to get a refund... ^^; (It's because of stuff like this that I avoid buying games blind or cartridge-only...)

I have one fake game, it's a Fullmetal Alchemist GBA game which I got cartridge-only for absurdly cheap on eBay (around 2003 or so). XD The only apparent difference was that the cartridge was slightly rougher and darker than normal, but I figured that was normal at the time because it was the only japanese one I had seen... I'm pretty sure it was exactly the same as the normal rom though, and it never glitched up or anything. XD I actually never noticed it was fake until years later when it wouldn't quite fit in my DS's GBA slot.... and upon closer inspection, the Nintendo logo on the back actually says "Nlntondo". ;_;
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I saw your video before, although I was expecting the game to be badly translated or something... <_< I think the "The game can be played" message was originally the save error message, but someone hacked it because on an emulator, the text shows up even when the save works OK. Is that the only difference between this and the real thing?

Also, yeah, don't link to ROMs, even if they're hacked. It's better to link to a patch instead, using an original ROM as a base -- that way it only has the changes to the ROM.