Telefang 2 + Pokemon Emerald = New bootleg?!

Talk about bootleg games in this forum.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Re: Telefang 2 + Pokemon Emerald = New bootleg?!

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

Today I found a new bootleg of Telefang 2, that instead of using the actual game, has imported all of the Telefang 2 denjuu sprites into Pokemon Emerald. I originally found it on this page, which has a battle screenshot with the denjuu sprites instead of Pokemon. There are also more screenshots from the game here, with a shot of the Pokedex (which includes Punica).

I also found boxes and cartridges from the game:
Front & Back of the box (Large box version)
Smaller GBA box with different cartridge
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

There's this download button... Most Pokémon seem unchanged, but they did bother to mess with the movesets.
Diamond(imported)

Post by Diamond(imported) »

wrote:There's this download button... Most Pokémon seem unchanged, but they did bother to mess with the movesets.
Does that mean we can download the rom ?
Does it work ?
or is it a virus ?
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Diamond wrote:
wrote:There's this download button... Most Pokémon seem unchanged, but they did bother to mess with the movesets.
Does that mean we can download the rom ?
Does it work ?
or is it a virus ?
Well, it worked just fine for me, but I cannot ensure there isn't a virus, however unlikely, because I'm on Linux; you should have an antivirus if you're doing anything on the internet though anyway.
kmeisthax

Post by kmeisthax »

ROM images of GBA software generally cannot have viruses; I've yet to hear of a successful exploit of an emulator bug for local privilege escalation.
MefistaCenobica(imported)

Post by MefistaCenobica(imported) »

Lol,they inverted traditional bootleg pattern)
She's a Witch!(imported)

Post by She's a Witch!(imported) »

Currently have it downloading to try it out.

Oh please oh please oh please don't let the sprites be JPGs. Hopefully it's just the screenshots that are JPG =/
SougonNaTakumi(imported)

Post by SougonNaTakumi(imported) »

I couldn't help laughing not only at the Zigzagoon chasing the professor that spontaneously turned into a Waratah in battle (personally, I think those are even less ferocious), but also the fact that Punica still makes Wurmple noises. XD

Interestingly, they seem to have tried to give the Denjuu unique Chinese names, but they weren't even based on plants or anything; they were pretty much just arbitrary as far as I could tell. Mentalis got called "小刺龙", or "Small-Thorn Dragon", and Pulchella got called "火毛虫", or "Fire-Haired Bug".

On a less related note, I was a little surprised that they didn't put the character "小" (Xiao) in the naming screen in the Chinese version of Pokémon, as it seems like just about all of the main characters' names start with that in the Chinese version of the anime (I looked several of them up at one point for parody purposes; don't ask).
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Ha cool, I was wondering what their names meant, I'd checked them against the actual Pokémon's Chinese names and knew they didn't match XP

Now I'm curious what acceptable Chinese names would be... 斐济燕鵙 or 燕鵙 for Mentalis? 横斑翠鸟 or 翠鸟 for Pulchella? Pretty much just guessing what the intended species were...
Selyte(imported)

Post by Selyte(imported) »

I can't see the box images D:
Well, it's pretty interesting, I'm downloading it XD
But why Birch shows a Lotad? o_o