Diamond snake on another bootleg cartridge?

Talk about bootleg games in this forum.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Re: Diamond snake on another bootleg cartridge?

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

I made an interesting discovery today while searching youtube for videos and found a bootleg game that uses the image of the blue snake that is found on the cartridges and box art for Pokemon Diamond. The game is called 'Super Pikachu Land' and is a (most probably Chinese) hack of Super Mario World (with Pikachu edited in place of Mario...the enemies include jumping enemy Jigglypuffs!). The most interesting thing though was at the end of the video. There was a shot of the cartridge itself and on the art there was the snake found on the bootleg Telefang cartridges. I've never seen it used on other bootlegs before, so does this mean the bootleg game could have had a similair origin to the Telefang bootlegs?

The video is here:

Super Pikachu Land

Skip to the end to see the shot of the cartridge. The blue snake is in the bottom left hand corner.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Notice that Jade's Shishigami is there too, to the right of Pikachu (blurry but identifiable.)
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Ah, I didn't see it when I first looked but I thought it might probably be there if the Diamond mascot was there too. Thanks for confirming it's there! I'm guessing the Diamond and Jade mascots are among the stock images the bootleggers like to use on their cartridges. If they're from the same bootleggers that might explain why.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

I just wanna know if that snake is from something or they made him up! Seems weird having Shishigami and... random snake as their mascots.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Me too. I think someone compared the snake to Perfect Chaos from Sonic once and thought they might be related, but i'm not sure either. Wish I knew...

Edit: Here's a picture of Perfect Chaos if it helps.
Tkallab(imported)

Post by Tkallab(imported) »

There are even more of those Super Pikachu bootlegs, iirc. I played a different game with the same Pikachu sprite years ago on my emulator.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

I just found the Diamond snake on the box artwork of a 'Pikachu Land' bootleg: http://i.ebayimg.com/04/!!d2y5YQBHM~$(KGrHqIH-D!Eqtbsy9vNBKzluvL2B!~~_2.JPG
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Hahahaaha! Let's see, roll call... there's also Shishigami, two Pikachus, Kirby, old art Charizard / Ivysaur / Blastoise, Yoshi, and Donkey Kong. I can't tell what the green thing to the right of Yoshi is. Also, Lt. Surge and Erika are there, for some reason.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

I found a picture of the cartridge as well using the same search: Pikachu Land cartridge
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

The Diamond Snake and Jade Shishigami are also on this Chinese bootleg of the Pokemon Card game sequel for the GBC: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=11029f*x.3-iLz8.h-4josD&id=5813541767&