Pokemon Great Collections / Kou Dai Guai Shou Da Ji He

Talk about bootleg games in this forum.
Picrodus(imported)

Re: Pokemon Great Collections / Kou Dai Guai Shou Da Ji He

Post by Picrodus(imported) »

You should ask Azathoth if he can dump your cart. I know he knows how to dump carts you should PM him to see if he can dump it =)
Picrodus(imported)

Excuse me for my double post but I was wondering if Kenju has had any luck on getting someone to try and dump Pokemon great collections? Though if not I understand as he is occupied with getting telefang through the classic game room. Just thought I'd ask for an update :)
Picrodus(imported)

Hey Kenju, how's your Pokemon great collections stuff going?
Snugglefox(imported)

Post by Snugglefox(imported) »

Don't mean to bump, but I just came across this today.

I have experience with opening Gameboy carts, if someone were to point me in the right direction and link me to some learning material about ROM dumping (I looked on google and all I found were people going on about how someone dumped the GBC BIOS 4 years ago) I would be willing to open up the cart and make a dump.

Also, someone just sold it with another bootleg for $180 last week. http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21303159291635
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

Unfortunately, I do not have the cartridge anymore. I think it may have been broken and may not have worked anyway. I was very disappointed, since it turns up rarely and this really could have been something good to investigate. At least we know it exists however, hopefully another copy can be found. I will at least try to keep my eyes out for another one.
Ankos

Post by Ankos »

Not too long ago I got a copy of this. I tried dumping and emulating it, but none of my emulators could read it properly. Am I allowed to post an ips patch for it here?

Oh, by the way the cartridge does not work on the gameboy advance. Oddly it does work on the gameboy pocket while I am pretty sure the original didn't.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Yeah, go ahead.

Also check size of the dump. Does it match the size of the original? Maybe they lied about the size in the header like they did for Jade (in which case you might need to overdump the rom). Also does it work in BGB?
Ankos

Post by Ankos »

Sorry for the late response. Here's the ips patch, use it on the Japanese Speed ROM. Based on what I've seen of it it appears to be the right size, but does not work on any emulators I use (hhugboy, bgb, vba, gambatte, etc.)
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. It looks like the 3rd and 4th banks out of every 4 banks (e.g. 2, 3, 6, 7, A, B, etc.) are corrupted in your dump. It seems to me that the nature of the corruption in those banks is that bits 6 and 1 are swapped, and bits 5 and 2 are swapped for each byte.

It may be that either this is a bad dump, or this is some weird protection method used by the bootleggers. Logically it should be possible to write a script that can reverse the damage.

That said, please try to dump the game again just to be sure that this isn't a bad dump. Dumping tools can be a little finicky after all. Use a file comparison tool to check if the new dump matches the old one byte-for-byte. If this is a custom made dumping tool then check that the connection points aren't mixed up. If both dumps do indeed match then I will start writing a tool to unscramble the affected banks.
Ankos

Post by Ankos »

Currently I am at college and don't have that game with me. Once I am able to I will try to dump it again. Thanks for the details on why it does not work.