digimon vs pokemon who will win?

Any topics that would be off-topic in any other forum belong here. Talk about general topics.
StellarWind(imported)

Re: digimon vs pokemon who will win?

Post by StellarWind(imported) »

Technically Digimon started as a series of Tamagochi-like toys named V-Pets (sometime in 1997), which could connect and battle with each other - they had their own power levels and types. The VPets got massively rebranded as Digimon, Then the card game came along (introducing its own balance mechanics in terms of the Virus/Vaccine/Data triangle)... and Digimon as a TV series only first materialized in 1999.

So they technically have their own balance, although the anime DID do much power level abuse.

However, power isn't everything. Strategy can still win out sometimes - especially in PokeMon. The look on people's faces when their uber Garchomps get their ass handed to them by a Masquerain is priceless (and this actually happens).

Digimon power though is generally ridiculously limited to the Digital dimension itself - in the real world, powerful as they may be, they still can't warp the entire universe to their very whims. Shove a Porygon-Z down their throats and see how they laugh it off.

In the end, though, as Garm put it, they really don't belong in the same universe. I love both PokeMon and Digimon, really, and... yeah. That crossover is even more b0rked than PokeMon and Telefang. >>;
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

I don't know Digimon that much, but I've seen some five random close-to-beggining episodes of the anime and played some of the games, and it seemed fun ^^
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

StellarWind wrote:In the end, though, as Garm put it, they really don't belong in the same universe. I love both PokeMon and Digimon, really, and... yeah. That crossover is even more b0rked than PokeMon and Telefang. >>;
Wait wait wait.. hear me out here, what if we took a Porygon-Z and a Denfare with an unlimited Internet plan, and locked them in one of those McDonalds with free wi-fi? We can throw in however many shouting, spikey-haired 10-year-olds are neccesary to get things going.
Kid Sonic(imported)

Post by Kid Sonic(imported) »

Sadly, I would have to say Digimon:

ZeedMillenniummon, Chaosmon, Galactimon, and many others.

Even Arceus would have a hard time. There are more Digimon than there are Pokemon.
StellarWind(imported)

Post by StellarWind(imported) »

More species. Doesn't necessarily mean more powerful. Huge chunk of them are in-training and baby levels.

Also, Galacticmon's canonical status is debated. seeing as it appeared only in Digimon World 3 and no other media.

Anyway, why bother with gods? two words. F.E.A.R Rattatas. >>;

Also, PokeMon has something Digimon doesn't. Ditto.

I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this. >>
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Phanphys are better. [/Pokémon strategy discussion]

But still, yeah, due to Pokémon having (popular) games (well Digimon had some too, I played them XD), there's, erm, more strategy. But I still like both fandoms, even if I don't know a name of a single Digimon <_<;
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

I was very much annoyed at how they renamed the Digimon levels. What they did was utterly pointless. It is Child>Adult>Perfect>Ultimate, not Rookie>Champion>Ultimate>Mega. *facepalm*

When you say ultimate, it implies that there isn't another level.
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

andwhyisit wrote:I was very much annoyed at how they renamed the Digimon levels. What they did was utterly pointless. It is Child>Adult>Perfect>Ultimate, not Rookie>Champion>Ultimate>Mega. *facepalm*
Don't forget Baby I and Baby II to "Fresh" and "In-training" :rolleyes:

It's funny. I've always thought it's a bit weird to have a stage after "Perfect", since perfect implies that it can't get any better. An alternate translation is for Kanzentai is "Complete", which makes a bit more sense. Something can be completed and then improved. Perfect sounds better though, so whatever.

Also, it doesn't get much sillier than having a stage after Ultimate like the English one does. So it's not like that's an improvement. :/

Both can be forgiven somewhat by the fact that the names originated from the V-pets, where Kanzentai/Perfect/Ultimate was the highest achievable level.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

DeKaFu wrote:
andwhyisit wrote:I was very much annoyed at how they renamed the Digimon levels. What they did was utterly pointless. It is Child>Adult>Perfect>Ultimate, not Rookie>Champion>Ultimate>Mega. *facepalm*
Don't forget Baby I and Baby II to "Fresh" and "In-training" :rolleyes:

It's funny. I've always thought it's a bit weird to have a stage after "Perfect", since perfect implies that it can't get any better. An alternate translation is for Kanzentai is "Complete", which makes a bit more sense. Something can be completed and then improved. Perfect sounds better though, so whatever.

Also, it doesn't get much sillier than having a stage after Ultimate like the English one does. So it's not like that's an improvement. :/

Both can be forgiven somewhat by the fact that the names originated from the V-pets, where Kanzentai/Perfect/Ultimate was the highest achievable level.
But I aways found the current English names to be horrible.

Fresh - The only good name idea they had.

In-training & Rookie - It has nothing to do with experience you fools!

Champion - "I am the best".

Ultimate - "I am the best-er!"

Mega - That is the lamest name ever. "I am the best-er..-er?"
garm(imported)

Post by garm(imported) »

StellarWind wrote:Also, PokeMon has something Digimon doesn't. Ditto.
Metamormon? Granted, he loses his cool transforming powers when you crush jewel thing (?) on this body, he can only transform into Digimon he battles (like Ditto in the games; Ditto in the anime can turn into cannons, wow), and looks way uglier than Ditto. Bleh
Ditto is so cute, plus it's pink <3
wrote:But I aways found the current English names to be horrible.
Same D:
I mean, 'Ultimate' is supposed to be...Ultimate. What's the point of having something that surpasses 'Ultimate'? Beats the meaning of Ultimate.
(Well yeh, in the manga V-Tamer 01 Zero evolved to 'Super Ultimate', but I'll let that go since that manga is so awesome in so many other ways)