Re: T1 Chinese bootleg

Discuss anything about the wonderful GBC Telefang games here!
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Haha hahaha! XD

Oh, secret denjuu don't crash the game. Also when you get phone number of a Denjuu, it actually asks you to name it - or not, but it goes like "keep number? yes/no", and then "chinese!! and two choices, not labeled through and do nothing...

Anyways, Kimbles, mind translating the title screen, too, please? I'd do it myself, but I dunno how to search chinese.
garm(imported)

Post by garm(imported) »

The title screen is just 'Pokemon' in Chinese (Pokemon has quite a number of Chinese names, the one on this title screen literally means 'pocket monsters').

I'm Chinese so yeah. I can roughly understand them (not all though since I have you know I get pretty low grades for that subject in school >_>)

Translation of the 3 intro screens:
'I heard that this tree...'
'...can continue walking until Denjuu (Electric Monster)...'
'...world, I don't know if it's real or...'

The '...' isn't poor Chinese or anything, it's just continued or continued from. Unlike the Pokemon Diamond/Jade bootlegs the Chinese used in this bootleg is...kinda normal. It's just my lousy Chinese to English translation makes it seem broken. xD

Screen with the tree and Shigeki:
'Finally got in contact with you'
Screen with Musa in it:
'Hahaha! It's not much...'
Screen with Shigeki talking to the green Punika thing:
'The water in the river is all gone'
Krypto's profile:
'Uses hard claws to enter battle...'
(Can't see the bottom line)
Teletel's profile:
'Discovered! No matter! No matter at all...'
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Whoa, now, that's awesome! Thank you a lot! You should download the patch and tell us if you find out something interesting!

And, um, yeah, the Denjuu info pages are broken, but the bottom line is actually the last four characters garbled. So, no more info I guess.

EDIT: Image haha got
EDIT2: Image Please, is there any reference to Crypto (or Kuriputo) on this screen, or are there any nonsence/garbled phrases? Same Image here please, this should be Oshe saying "Let's go!".
garm(imported)

Post by garm(imported) »

First screen: 'Got "Key".'

Second screen: '...strict" ate "profit"!' (The 'strict' could be part of one of the monsters' names, it makes much more sense that way; and the 'profit' part I'm not so sure of the meaning, but it could be an item)
The 'strict' is pronounced as yán (yan2), fyi.

Third screen: '...said* "Burn!" '
*The character used for 'said' is actually in Chinese an onomatopoeia for the buzzing sound made by bees (and possibly other sources too, but so far I've only seen it used for bees and planes).

Btw, I missed out something on the title screen. The text below the 'Pokemon' actually means 'Jade Version'.
xD
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Hm. So it looks like the Denjuu names are scrambled. And so are the arrive/attack phrases. Hm..

Oh, and Jade Version? Seems strange, because I got Crypto...

Thanks anyways! Did you download the game?
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Woah garm you're Chinese too? Which country you're from? XD

Oh, just to clarify, Chinese isn't written in kanji, that's the way Chinese characters are written, no hiragana or any kana. There are tons of characters (same as Jap kanji) so there's no way they could fit all the characters in the place where the alphabet tiles were supposed to be. Seems like they took up the space where other tiles were supposed to be.

Well here's what the last 3 screenshots say:

GOT 鑰匙 - GOT key (well yeah)
嚴” 飲 “益益上” - I have no idea what the heck this is.. but if you read it character by character you get: 'strict" drink "benefit benefit up"' >_>
嗡 “烙” - Not sure, but it means he's buzzing (in speech) either "lao!" or "luo!" (two pronunciations)

I think one bootleg is really is based off the other.. English based on this Chinese one?

The item shown (the name is a bit split) is Mobile. When I translated mobile to Chinese it gave 移動 surprisingly (it means to move). Then when translated back to English, it gave move (not surprisingly). So perhaps the mistranslation was cos it was based off a mistranslation!

The currency is "ball" in Chinese, which shows they could have been closely related.

And about the three choices at battle screen: the bottom one, supposed to be Status, can be translated to Chinese as 身份, 地位, or as with the screenshot, 位置 (quite far off actually). This, when translated back into English, can mean either a position physically or a position in an organisation. Which brings about the bootleg "Position".

However I can't explain why Toronko Village is called 糟戰. It means "terrible war" or something >_>

It is highly possible that the English bootleg was based off this Chinese bootleg. Or restarted from scratch, importing some things from this Chinese bootleg, which may have brought about those glitches. Maybe it's even the same bootleggers who made these two bootlegs though. Well they were Chinese, when they translate it's most likely from their native language.

EDIT: Well I took a really long time making this post that garm beat me to the 3 screenshot translations....
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

wrote:Oh, just to clarify, Chinese isn't written in kanji, that's the way Chinese characters are written, no hiragana or any kana.
Oh. Sorry ^^''
wrote:There are tons of characters (same as Jap kanji) so there's no way they could fit all the characters in the place where the alphabet tiles were supposed to be. Seems like they took up the space where other tiles were supposed to be.
Well I pretty much figured out the glitches, it was caused by ME CORRUPTING THE MEMORY DD:. There's minimum graphical glitches now. Also, only the used characters are loaded into memory, whenever a new text box appears, they are overwritten.
wrote:GOT è€³× - GOT key (well yeah)
‡À¡± ï‹ ¡°ÒæÒæÉÏ¡± - I have no idea what the heck this is.. but if you read it character by character you get: 'strict" drink "benefit benefit up"' >_>
ÎË ¡°ÀÓ¡± - Not sure, but it means he's buzzing (in speech) either "lao!" or "luo!" (two pronunciations)
Okay, so it seems that both Denjuu names and the phrases are broken. I guess that when they were translating the game to english, they used this version, and when translating the broken things (Denjuu names and phrases), they used the original, Japanese version, and not knowing katakana, they ended up messing the names. Yay for clarification!
wrote:I think one bootleg is really is based off the other.. English based on this Chinese one?
Well yeah, I think so too.
wrote:The item shown (the name is a bit split) is Mobile. When I translated mobile to Chinese it gave ÒÆ„Ó surprisingly (it means to move). Then when translated back to English, it gave move (not surprisingly). So perhaps the mistranslation was cos it was based off a mistranslation!
Great! That's why I shown this screenshot! In Diamond/Jade, this item is called Moving!
wrote:The currency is "ball" in Chinese, which shows they could have been closely related.
wrote:And about the three choices at battle screen: the bottom one, supposed to be Status, can be translated to Chinese as Éí·Ý, µØλ, or as with the screenshot, λÖà (quite far off actually). This, when translated back into English, can mean either a position physically or a position in an organisation. Which brings about the bootleg "Position".
WIN! Explains a lot.
wrote:However I can't explain why Toronko Village is called Ôã‘ð. It means "terrible war" or something >_>
Well yeah the map text is broken, too. Haha!
wrote:It is highly possible that the English bootleg was based off this Chinese bootleg. Or restarted from scratch, importing some things from this Chinese bootleg, which may have brought about those glitches. Maybe it's even the same bootleggers who made these two bootlegs though. Well they were Chinese, when they translate it's most likely from their native language.
This nails it.

Thanks a lot!
garm(imported)

Post by garm(imported) »

I'm from Singapore. :D

I don't think it's really scrambled, it could be a continuation of the previous part of the sentence, especially seeing how big the Chinese characters are. In fact, if you can put it together with a fitting first part of the sentence, it'll actually make enough sense to understand.

I didn't download that patch, but I downloaded a Chinese version off *some site* which has the same opening screen so I assume it's the same anyway. :P
And you're right, according to that site it is Power version. But doesn't change the fact the title screen states Jade xD

I've looked through the beginning (too lazy to translate it, but it should be quite similar to the Japanese one). No scrambled words yet, and the Chinese is rather good (at least not of the English bootleg standard).

Shigeki is called 小雨/xiǎo yǔ (xiao3 yu3). Literally means 'little rain' (I have no idea where the rain comes from, but in Chinese it's quite common for fictional characters to have '小/little' in front of their names)
Glasses guy (can't remember name) is called '松吉/sōng jí (song1 ji2). Literally means 'loose good' (if it means something stupid like this it's almost always a transliteration of the original name).
The D-Shot is the 'D發射/D fā shè (D fa1 she4). Literally means 'D shoot'.
Crypto's name is 可利/kě lì (ke3 li4). Or hNut. xD

On checking, the game seems to refer to Oshe as 嗡/wēng (weng1) in battle. Out of battle it's e-lx.

After you get a denjuu's number, it'll say '很好', which is Chinese for 'Very good'. I seem to recall that being in the English bootleg. MOAR EVIDENCE

Toronko isn't named '糟戰', it's just in some sort of war. xD In the game Toronko is referred to as 圖倫克/tú lún kè (tu2 lun2 ke4). (origin of 'Tulunk Village'?)

I'll find out more tomorrow. I'm staying up way past bedtime |P
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

wrote:I don't think it's really scrambled, it could be a continuation of the previous part of the sentence, especially seeing how big the Chinese characters are. In fact, if you can put it together with a fitting first part of the sentence, it'll actually make enough sense to understand.
I'm not sure, but I think it's not a continuation, that it came in a brand new message box (lol).
wrote:I didn't download that patch, but I downloaded a Chinese version off *some site* which has the same opening screen so I assume it's the same anyway. :P
And you're right, according to that site it is Power version. But doesn't change the fact the title screen states Jade xD
Oh.
wrote:I've looked through the beginning (too lazy to translate it, but it should be quite similar to the Japanese one). No scrambled words yet, and the Chinese is rather good (at least not of the English bootleg standard).
I'm willing to bet that the pirates who did the Japanese->Chinese translation were different ones then the ones after the Chinese->English one. I'm basing this on the fact that they didn't seem to read katakana propperly when translating the names.
wrote:Shigeki is called СÓê/xi¨£o y¨³ (xiao3 yu3). Literally means 'little rain' (I have no idea where the rain comes from, but in Chinese it's quite common for fictional characters to have 'С/little' in front of their names)
Glasses guy (can't remember name) is called 'Ëɼª/s¨­ng j¨ª (song1 ji2). Literally means 'loose good' (if it means something stupid like this it's almost always a transliteration of the original name).
Hm..
wrote:The D-Shot is the 'D°lÉä/D f¨¡ sh¨¨ (D fa1 she4). Literally means 'D shoot'.
Same as diamond/jade.
wrote:Crypto's name is ¿ÉÀû/k¨§ l¨¬ (ke3 li4). Or hNut. xD
On checking, the game seems to refer to Oshe as ÎË/w¨¥ng (weng1) in battle. Out of battle it's e-lx.
Hm... Did they translate the names from this version or from the original ones? ... Maybe you should team up with Milnivri and make a list of names in this bootleg XD
wrote:After you get a denjuu's number, it'll say 'ºÜºÃ', which is Chinese for 'Very good'. I seem to recall that being in the English bootleg. MOAR EVIDENCE
Yes yes! They replaced the opinion to name your Denjuu with this!!
wrote:Toronko isn't named 'Ôã‘ð', it's just in some sort of war. xD In the game Toronko is referred to as ˆD‚¿Ë/t¨² l¨²n k¨¨ (tu2 lun2 ke4).
Well it seems to be messed up on the map but not anywhere else. Toronko -> Tú lún k'e -> Tulunk is AWESOME.
wrote:I'll find out more tomorrow. I'm staying up way past bedtime |P
No problem! Thanks to both you and Milnivri! This clears up a lot of things!

EDIT: I can see the Chinese all right, but when copying it, it gets messed up, sorry.
garm(imported)

Post by garm(imported) »

Just a few more things I noted:
Kochia is 歐些/ōu xiē (ou1 xie1). Sounds like a more appropriate name for Oshe, really!
When Oshe arrives, he says 'single/個'. (It's kinda weird to translate it alone)
In battle, Krypto is called '棘/jí (ji2)'. Literally means 'thorns (on plants)'. if I'm not wrong :P
When a denjuu is hurt by an attack, it'll say (literally) '-- points are lost!'.

I tried a battle (I'm not too familiar with the Telefang battle system, to be honest', after Kochia attacked the enemy Oshe, the text said 'the opponent who is considered more stupid, the injury is decreased!' (I know my translation sucks! D: But it means something like that)

After winning, it'll say 'Caught the enemy's denjuu!' (it was a wild Oshe).

Open for intepretation.