Alright, this is important. Voting on T1 names.

Discuss anything about the wonderful GBC Telefang games here!
M3FTW(imported)

Re: Alright, this is important. Voting on T1 names.

Post by M3FTW(imported) »

I kind of agree with Kid Sonic when it comes to naming the Denjuu, but not necessarily names COMPLETELY based off of puns, like Pokemon tends to do. I realize you might not agree with me, but when it comes to most translated games, the names are generally changed as well. Its not that I dislike your idea Kimbles, just that I think we might wanna keep some English within the names (kind of like choice A for Tsunonasu). Another thing is that I notice that Tsunonasu's reforms/evolutions appear to be a little too similar. I realize you didn't make them that way, but I'm just thinking that perhaps we try to stray away from names that seem very similar. I'm merely suggesting this, and in no way am I trying to take over the thread, just trying to help come up with some ideas.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Alright, it looks like there's enough people interested now. XD I added the finished names to the wiki. Up next is Angios and Gymnos. *nod* I'll see if this type of voting works better...

M3FTW, I do see where you're coming from. XD Stuff like the hitode in Hitodeight would have to be re-written for english... We can make "localized" names for all of the Denjuu sometime, but for the purposes of discussion and the wiki and the translation patches, I think we should work on a single set of names first, as close as possible to the japanese so that people will know what we're talking about no matter what version they play. *shrug* A good number of Denjuu already have english in their names, anyway, so we'll see how it works out. XD

Kiringiku, Enishida, and Hagumanoki are all named after plants in japanese, so I'd rather leave them as is. Part of that is because it's actually kind of hard to find what exact plants match up to what name across languages, what with multiple names for the same species and identical names for different ones... Plus Wikipedia is kind of full of holes when it comes to obscure ones... >_< It would be pretty shaky to translate them...
The other part is that naming half of the monsters after flowers rather than japanese words would make them a bit less threatening. XD Besides, Hagumanoki is an awesome name, what are you talking about. D:
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Anjioon: Angione (option B)
Anjiion: Angieon (option B)
Jimugaasu: Gymgarth (option B)
Jimuganon: Gymganon (option A)
Jimuzairasu: Gymzyras (option D) :D
Kid Sonic(imported)

Post by Kid Sonic(imported) »

Are you guys just making these names up?
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Kid Sonic wrote: Are you guys just making these names up?
No. Basically we need to find the best English spellings for the Japanese pronunciations of each Denjuu name.
M3FTW(imported)

Post by M3FTW(imported) »

Totally agree with you Kimbles. It gets fairly annoying trying to discuss a game like this, with tons of monsters, and not have a clue which monster someone is talking about. I know the main monsters' names are based off of plant names, so keeping them makes sense, after all, its the only thing we're completely sure of in terms of names.

Anjioon: Angiorn (choice a)
Anjiion: Angieon (choice b)
Jimugaasu: Gymgarth (choice b)
Jimuganon: Gymganon (choice a)
Jimuzairasu: Gymzairas (choice c)
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

A-A-B-A-C

Too lazy to type them out... xD
Kid Sonic(imported)

Post by Kid Sonic(imported) »

andwhyisit wrote:
Kid Sonic wrote: Are you guys just making these names up?
No. Basically we need to find the best English spellings for the Japanese pronunciations of each Denjuu name.
So these are accurate......

Pokemon never had to try this hard. (I know what you are going to say)
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Kid Sonic wrote:So these are accurate......

Pokemon never had to try this hard. (I know what you are going to say)
I think they started trying around 3rd gen, can't be sure. But we are purists when it comes to telefang, go figure.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

XD You made me go look it up....
From what I've seen, I'd say that Pokemon has had to work a lot harder... *shrug* A surprising amount of names are copied from the kana, just turning it into english like we're doing here, but there's also a lot of japanese-english puns and japanese-japanese puns that had to be rewritten... Telefang has it easy in that half of the names are plants, and that a lot more of the pun names work without knowledge of japanese. *nod*

Many of the japanese Pokemon names also suffer from being extremely lame in english...:/ Charmeleon was "Lizard" (rizaado), and Charizard was "Lizardon". XD Likewise, Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres were named Freezer, Thunder, and Fire. Just imagine if they kept that. XD

After looking through them all, I think that the japanese names have kept the same style through all of the generations, but it's rather impossible to tell how good they sound in japanese. XD The translators do seem to be struggling more lately, though... *shrug* That's enough off-topic. ^^;