Alright, this is important. Voting on T1 names.

Discuss anything about the wonderful GBC Telefang games here!
Kimbles(imported)

Re: Alright, this is important. Voting on T1 names.

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Alright, I added Araneida, Reige, Raigaleon, Baionpu, Zudoon, Punisto, and Mutoom to the wiki. *nod*

I'm thinking of adding Togeruka, Alphagos, Kiyoruka, and Golaking. Any objections? D:

Remaining:
Midootoru - Midortle?
Gadorukuma - Gadorkuma/Gadolkuma?
Abirasu - Abiras/Abilas/Abirasu?
Arakuida - Arachuida?
Saioope - Saiope/Psyope?
Arakuudabaran - Arachudabaran?
Baikinguurin - Vikingurin? (I'd rather not take out the g...)

XD Come on, we're almost done~
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Midootoru - Midotaur? (like minotaur)
Gadorukuma - Gadorkum?
Arakuida - Araquida?
Abirasu - Abiras/Aviras?
Saioope - Saiope
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Gadorkuma
Abilas
Saiope (Unless it is psychic, I wouldn't suggest Psyope)
SougonNaTakumi(imported)

Post by SougonNaTakumi(imported) »

I suspect Bibaanum was supposed to be a pun on "beaver" and "Viburnum", considering that its attack and arrive phrases basically use "beaver" as an adverb ("I've beaverly come!"), and the description for that Denjuu says it attacks with its long, flat tail. So, perhaps that Denjuu's name should be Beavurnum?

For Ko-tosu, I'd suggest just calling him Koutosu. I think this is likely a pun on "kou" as in "Ganraikou" (many of the evolutions of Denjuu have part of the initial form's name in them, like Funblade) and keotosu, a Japanese word meaning "to defeat".

I believe that Arakuudabaran is from arachnid and Aldebaran, the star. Weren't the monsters in Dino Device named after stars/constellations, too? Arachuldebaran.

As for the others, Vikingulin, Gadolkuma, Arachider (arachnid + spider), Saiope, Abirasu (I bet this is Japanese--abiru means 'to shower', and abiseru means 'to pour on'), and Middletor (well, it has kind of a hill in the middle of its back, doesn't it? xD).
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

Hmm.
I disagree with some of those.
I originally considered Aldebaran as a name origin for Arakuudabaran, but Aldebaran is written in Japanese as "Arudebaran", not "Arudabaran" which means there's not a lot of evidence in that direction.

I also disagree with "Arachuldebaran" since there's no way to interpret the kana that would allow that L to be there. :/

Also, Dino Device names its monsters after stars and constellations, but that doesn't really have any bearing on this game. Denjuu are mostly named after plants.

"Arachider" makes no sense at all. Arachnid is "arakuniddo" and spider is "supaidaa". Arachider would be "arakaidaa" or at best "arakuidaa", not "arakuida". There's no extender so the ending must be "da" and not "der".

"Middletor" does not work. The Japanese name is "Midootoru", and "middle" is "midoru". You can't read "midoo" as "middle". Also, "Midotaur" doesn't work because Minotaur in Japanese is spelled "Minotauros", not "Minotoru" as you might expect. I investigated that possibility too. :/

In general: A vowel followed by an extender can sometimes be read as implying an R, as in supaidaa (spider), aaku (arc) hoosupawaa (horsepower) etc. But L's are almost always specified with a written ru, as in midoru (middle), batoru (battle), or shinguru (single).

Not trying to antagonize you here or anything, I just consider this to be my specialty so I tend to be picky. :P
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

I think we really need to make a decision on the last few names, especially Arakuudabaran.

No objections to adding Togeruka, Alphagos, Kiyoruka, and Golaking btw.
Kimbles(imported)

Reviving the topic again... I've filled in the rest of the names on new Wikifang, here!
Let me know if there's any that still sound weird, or that don't make any sense. D: There are some changes I'm thinking of making though...

- Putting a g into Fungus's evolutions so that the root is Fung- instead of Fun-, since that makes me think of happy fun times and I don't think it would affect the sound too much... That means Fungblade, Fungboost, and Fungmachine. *nod* Fungeist and Fungwar would stay the same.
- Saiope to Psyope, since I think that Dimenza (the one who you fight in Panses) has the power to teleport people? :O
- Gilearth/Gilgiearth to Gilerth/Gilgierth...? Fewer vowels in a row might be nice, but it probably doesn't really make a difference... *shrug*

Aside from that I'd like to consider actually changing some of the names, localization-like, since we finally have the list of "real" names done. D: That would just mean changing stuff like Badhorou to Badhoot or something, or Driarmor to Drillarmor, so that it looks better and maybe makes a bit more sense in english... *shrug* What do you think? :/
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Hmm... For Fungus, that does sound much better but I'm somewhat wary of adding characters that aren't there just cause I'm an accuracy nut =< (plus they're pretty chill, Fun fits them like that..!) I suppose it depends how much we want to go direct translation vs localization?

Saiope, I always thought looked like a really pretty word, not so crazy about spelling it Psyope (maybe Psiope though?)

...can't he be Girugias? ...No? ......okay ;_;

I really don't know how I feel about localizing names, I simultaneously like the idea and feel it might be changing them too much. I mean, they still have the intended meanings and they sound better! It's not like we're changing any of the Japanese plant names to English ones arbitrarily... though that reminds me, I'm still not a fan of Gamazumi =S Even if it was a screwup or something on their part, I think it still oughta be a respelling of Viburnum... I dunno!
SougonNaTakumi(imported)

Post by SougonNaTakumi(imported) »

^_^;
Okay, okay... I realise a lot of those I threw out there previously were a bit of a stretch or otherwise bad—you can disregard them. I'm still for Abirasu/Abiras and Beavernum, though.

(Although in my opinion we should probably take all discussion on the latter to the other thread specifically about the Viburnums so we can move on to other Denjuu here.)

Speaking of the others (list here), I think the Fung- prefix is fine since it's an almost justifiable romanisation anyway; the Chinese syllable "long", for example, is rendered in Japanese katakana as "ron", so "n" turning into "ng" isn't unheard of. I realise the word "fungus" isn't from Chinese and that's maybe a somewhat silly reason, but nonetheless, it's okay with me. I do, however, think Fanguoh was just supposed to mean "Fung[us]-King", though ("オー" as in a corruption of "王"), not "war" (I could be wrong, though).

I tried to do some proper research on the name "Midohtoru" via Japanese Wikipedia, but could find absolutely nothing relevant, so I think we should just stick with that for now. That one seriously stumps me... anyone find anything on that one? It doesn't really look like a turtle, has nothing to do with the French word for 'other' (autre), and it isn't green (midori). (stumped)

I personally don't really care whether it's Saiope or Psyope, and for the others, I'd agree that Togeruka, Alphagos, Golaking, and Kiyoruka are fine.
Kimbles(imported)

The finished name list is actually here... The other one hasn't been updated in a while. XD

Fanguoo being from king had occured to me before, but Fungou/Fungoh doesn't have the same charm to it, and I think war still fits phonetically, too. XD Midotor is still a total mystery though.