Kinda new to this game! so I have a few questions

Discuss anything about the wonderful GBC Telefang games here!
Rokubato(imported)

Re: Kinda new to this game! so I have a few questions

Post by Rokubato(imported) »

hmmm maybe it held on because the clock wasn't active? there was no saved data on it.. is there a way to delete the save data oher then starting a new game? if not then I guess it means that the cartride was opened.. cuz it was played with before.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

Sanky wrote:I don't think so, never heard of a GBA battery running out, and even if it did the save wouldn't be affected.
Actually, the battery of GBA catridges still runs out if it has an internal clock. It happens to Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald cartridges. See here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/921905-pokemon-emerald-version/answers?qid=25715

Also, welcome to the forum Rokubato! Glad you could pick up the games while you were in Japan. Makes me want to go there too someday ^^
SougonNaTakumi(imported)

Post by SougonNaTakumi(imported) »

I believe you can buy a device like this to back up/restore the saves on your Gameboy cartridges if you're concerned about losing your save. It's not super expensive, and it can hold up to a hundred different save files/save file versions if needed (I don't think I've even put twenty on mine).
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

SogonNaTakumi wrote:I believe you can buy a device like this to back up/restore the saves on your Gameboy cartridges if you're concerned about losing your save. It's not super expensive, and it can hold up to a hundred different save files/save file versions if needed (I don't think I've even put twenty on mine).
Noooo! Why didn't I know about this device years ago. :(
Rokubato(imported)

SogonNaTakumi wrote:I believe you can buy a device like this to back up/restore the saves on your Gameboy cartridges if you're concerned about losing your save. It's not super expensive, and it can hold up to a hundred different save files/save file versions if needed (I don't think I've even put twenty on mine).
that's a nice thing to have! I might buy one (but I need to find someone that ships to Israel)
How does it work? from what I understand, the save file is saved on the device instead of one the cartridge? or maybe it's like save stat on an emulator?
SougonNaTakumi(imported)

Post by SougonNaTakumi(imported) »

No, you still save to the cartridge like normal. When you first start up the gameboy, the device will show its main menu (if it's turned on via the switch on the side) and from there you can copy the save to it or write a save file you've backed up to the cartridge, along with a few other options (I think it does ask you to confirm first in case you select the wrong one, and it allows you to name the saves when you back them up to reduce confusion). You have to plug the game into the device and the device into the game slot, kind of like an Action Replay, and you have to either unplug the device or turn it off and reset the gameboy if you want to start the game. I've heard it doesn't work for gameboy advance games, but it wasn't designed/advertised for those, so that's hardly a surprise.

I looked around, and did manage to find a few negative reviews (for example, from people who changed the game in it while it was on, or didn't connect the game securely before turning it on, or dropped it too hard, or accidentally restored a save to the wrong game for whatever reason), but I haven't had any of those problems with mine, so I'd personally say it's a good product. (Although the game slot isn't quite as secure, I don't see how one of these could possibly fall out of the game slot. The person who dropped it may have just dropped the entire gameboy, and I can't think of a good preventative measure for that.)
Sherkel(imported)

Post by Sherkel(imported) »

There's actually a way to restore batteries with a GBA SP. The method sounds far fetched but it has worked to perfection for me.
https://sites.google.com/site/tombstoner28/articles/battery
Rokubato(imported)

hmm yea I heared of that, the problem is that my game does save now, but I'm afried that one day it will die, if the battery is full, how long does it take it to die out? 10 years or so? so should I do that once every 7-8 years or so?
from what I'm seeing online, this problem occurs in GBA as well, even games that don't have clock, like Megaman Battle Network, will this work on them as well?
Locololo(imported)

Post by Locololo(imported) »

this is very interesting, if you don't mind me asking, how fluent are you in japanese?
Rokubato(imported)

Locololo wrote:this is very interesting, if you don't mind me asking, how fluent are you in japanese?
Are you talking to me? well i'll answer it anyway, I can read perfect hiragana and katakana, I know 120 (and growing) kanjis and I can understand japanese pretty well overall.
Still studying though.