Crypto's name romanized as 'Crypt' in the manga?

Discuss anything about the wonderful GBC Telefang games here!
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Re: Crypto's name romanized as 'Crypt' in the manga?

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

I'm not sure if this is a mistake or not, but in one of the title pages of the T1 manga, Crypto's name is romanaized as 'Crypt' rather than Crypto. I wondered why this might be. All of the other character names are the same however.

The page i'm referring to is this one here: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/cryptmanga.jpg/
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Oh wow, I don't remember seeing that in the volume release. What chapter is that anyway? (title or issue #?)
For what it's worth, they totally spell it as Crypto at some point in the manga too. It's probably just a case of them being not so good with english. XD

Nice to know that Angios is totally right though. :D
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

That actually doesn't surprise me. I don't know Japanese well, but I always thought that the o sound in ト was sometimes silent. And in this case... it seems to be.

It is weird that the romanization is inconsistent, though. But I guess it's not unheard of.
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

I kinda guessed it might have been a mistake, since the Japanese aren't always perfect at romanizing, as you said. I thought it might have happened throughout the manga, but then I do remember that the part with the wanted posters of Crypto and Shigeki spelt their names correctly (at least from what I can remember).
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Hmm, looks like it's in chapter 14 in the volume release, same picture but with no text. *nod* I guess they realized it was wrong? XD
MefistaCenobica(imported)

Post by MefistaCenobica(imported) »

Like in my creepypasta 0_o
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

They might have removed the text for serialization purposes, since Comic Bom Bom has text and adverts on and around the manga pages usually. I think that's why a lot of the color pages were missing as well, because they were purposely created for the Comic BomBoms only.