Viburnum and Viburnum.

Discuss anything about the wonderful GBC Telefang games here!
Kimbles(imported)

Re: Viburnum and Viburnum.

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Well, I've been gathering the kana names for all of the Denjuu, and it looks like we have an issue to address. D:
It seems that #031 and #102 both share the same name, Viburnum. They manage this in japanese by using two different katakana spellings (bibaanamu and biburunamu respectively), which doesn't exactly work in english, at all. :/

We're going to have to come up with a way of telling them apart eventually, so we might as well discuss it now. ): We could purposefully misspell one of them, but I can't think of any that wouldn't look butt ugly... *sigh* Any suggestions?
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Well, remember that in Telefang 2, there are TONS of Denjuu that share the same name. I heard that B and V have the same sound or something in Japanese (just like Spanish, XD), so maybe change one of the v's or b's or something? I dunno. Is Viburnum a real word? I've never heard of it...
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Uhh. Is there like etymology for the names or anything?
Kimbles(imported)

Yeah, sorry. XD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viburnum

They're named after a plant genus, like most of the others. *nod*
V's are indeed usually written as B's in japanese. Bibaanamu and Biburunamu are both accepted japanese spellings for Viburnum, and that's the problem. ):

In Telefang 2, all evolution stages for a denjuu share the same name, and it's intended to be that way. :/ In Telefang 1 they all need to be different, and we have two different denjuu with the same root name. D: It's only an issue with these two denjuu, but it's such a mess...
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Well, maybe you can misspell one of them. A few Denjuu, like Krypto, is misspelled. And tons of Pokémon are misspelled. That's my suggestion...
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Perhaps we could leave one of them without the V, using the B instead.
Kimbles(imported)

Dragging this topic up again, do we have any other ideas for how to name them in the patch? :O

The current plan is that we keep #031 Viburnum (the squirrel) as Viburnum, and change #102 Viburnum (the mutated rat) to Gamazumi, which is the japanese name for the Viburnum genus. A lot of Denjuu use japanese plant names, so it fits in pretty well. *nod*
Another option would be naming it after Viburnum in another language... Sanky suggested Kalina, which is the czech name for it, which sounds pretty name-like to me. XD (I still like Gamazumi though.)

Personally I don't want to leave it in romaji (as Biburunamu), since that seems sloppy and doesn't look or sound very good. :/ I also wouldn't want to swap the b/v's (Biburnum, Bivurnum) for the same reason... We're going to have to somehow alter the name either way, so I think we should at least give it an actual plant name, keeping in the spirit of the original. *shrug*
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

You could name one of them Viburnum and one of them Bibarnum perhaps? Although that's still pretty similar.... :/ I guess the game really was made for a Japanese audience since this is most likely a spelling joke that doesn't work so well in English. Probably if it had been translated they would have renamed one of them to an entirely different name than Viburnum anyway since it would have been way too similar.

EDIT: Oh! I just had an thought. Your suggestion of Gamazumi would be perfect since it sounds like Nezumi, which means mouse in Japanese (even though the denjuu in question is actually a rat). That would be quite a brilliant pun I think, since it is still relates to Viburnum without sounding similar, plus it's still Japanese and fits in with the other names really well :D
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

I didn't ever hear the name Kalina, but according to wikipedia some other non-English languages use variants of of "Calin" for the plant, so I felt like mentioning it. Gamazumi is Japanese though so I feel it's more appropriate here. *nod*

Why the hell did they name two Denjuu after the same name of a plant, even D:
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

Probably as a pun. Unfortunately their word puns don't work so well in english because it's tailored to their language rather than ours.

Gamazumi really would be a good choice though, i'd support it :3