Viburnum and Viburnum.

Discuss anything about the wonderful GBC Telefang games here!
Mustache(imported)

Re: Viburnum and Viburnum.

Post by Mustache(imported) »

I think anything ok if you feel it cool in the game. We often do that thing for naming new characters.
We treat them as new words as long as they won't sounds like anything other.
If they have secret links in their name origins, its beautiful. But no more than that in this case.
Smilesoft didn't connect the Names origins and the monsters itself so much.
It will be more clear at DinoDevice. Leo is Wolf. Cancer is Squid. Pegasus is Pteranodon.

I guess why they choose those plant names as monsters' names were
1. They are natural as a name of creatures.(cause they are)
2. They are unfamiliar to Japanese people.(Almost plants already have their own Japanese name, and we only use it)

So, if you feel that words as "gamazumi" are natural and unfamiliar, you can use it for the monster.
I guess we won't set "gamazumi" for Japanese names cause we know what real gamazumi is and we remind it too much.
And then the relatives between the monster and the real thing will be problem.
In early stage of the Pokemon used a real name of that creatures as like "ゼニガメ"(Squirtle)
We have real Zenigame in the real turtle.
And we feel it will mix up our mind. So, Now they avoid to use well-known real names for that.

btw
bibaanamu evolve to togeruka kiyoruka
I just think bibaruka will make simple evolve tree... I don't know how it sound for you...
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Yeah, it works because japanese plant names all sound exotic here. XD I think the only name that's overly recognizable in english is Fungus (ファンガス), but I still don't really want to change it. XD

By the way, do you know what Togeruka and Kiyoruka's names come from? I haven't been able to figure it out... I know Togeruka is spiky (toge), but I don't know why they put ruka on the end. ._. And is kiyo from 器用, or is it something else?
We're also missing what Oshe (オーシェ) and Gamuru (ガムル) are named after. They should be named after plants, but I searched in japanese and couldn't find anything spelled like that. ): Do you have any ideas?
Mustache(imported)

Kimbles wrote:Yeah, it works because japanese plant names all sound exotic here. XD I think the only name that's overly recognizable in english is Fungus (ファンガス), but I still don't really want to change it. XD

By the way, do you know what Togeruka and Kiyoruka's names come from? I haven't been able to figure it out... I know Togeruka is spiky (toge), but I don't know why they put ruka on the end. ._. And is kiyo from 器用, or is it something else?
We're also missing what Oshe (オーシェ) and Gamuru (ガムル) are named after. They should be named after plants, but I searched in japanese and couldn't find anything spelled like that. ): Do you have any ideas?
I don't have so much knowledge about plant but...
Sometimes a Native person is better to access information.

kk, first,
オーシェ, it's a name the plant in the flower shop.
Try to check details by yourself.
I just copy the name I can get.

セローム(サトイモ科)
Philodendron selloum
楕円形の葉に切れ込みの入る"クッカバラ(園芸品種名オーシェ)"など、多様な種・園芸品種がある。

="セローム" (a kind of サトイモ[japanese wild potato])
It have various species as "クッカバラ(オーシェ in the shop)" that have incision into the oval leaves.

trying to check others...
Add info.
Don't let your cat eat Oshe. It's poison to them. lol

I can't find (ガムル) but a lot of (ガルム).
But it's fish source in ancient Rome...and some will be same as (オルニソガルム) one.

Or, I rather think this one may be closer.

グムル /gumuru/
灌木の名。ゴモジュ。赤い小さな実がなる。庭木として植える。

=A name of small tree. "ゴモジュ". It will make small red fruits. Planted as a garden tree.

It is local language of Okinawa. We often use Okinawa's language for naming.

ゴモジュ a kind of (スイカズラ CAPRIFOLIACEAE)
Viburnum suspensum Lindl.

Last one,
I never think the plants as "Togeruka or kiyoruka" exist in Japan.
So, I tried guess and that one might be a possible answer.

"ёлка"(ヨールカ)=Russian Christmas Tree

and that word came from

>"ель"(イェーリ)+ка(Russian Diminutive)
=Spruce, a tree of the genus Picea

Then, as you said, (器用)+ヨールカ=キヨールカ
Its relative spiky(トゲ) one became トゲールカ

...Oshe must be fixed. lol
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Interesting! That means Oshe is actually..."Aussie". XD I saw that page before, but I wasn't sure since it was the only website that spelled it like オーシェ... ("Aussie" is usually spelled オージー, even for that type of philodendron.) Looking at it again, there are a few other pages that spell it like that, so it could be what the Denjuu name came from. :O

For Gamuru, yeah, it would make more sense if it was Garumu. ._. "Gumuru" seems like it might work though. Maybe they got the two mixed up? :/ I dunno.

For Togeruka and Kiyoruka... None of the evolved Denjuu are named after plants, so the names probably come from japanese or english (I think). I was thinking the ~ruka ending might have something to do with it being a squirrel, but I don't know. >_< I guess it might just be there to make it sound more name-like...
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Ossie might be a good compromise for the name, if we want to change it..?
Mustache(imported)

Kimbles wrote:Interesting! That means Oshe is actually..."Aussie". XD I saw that page before, but I wasn't sure since it was the only website that spelled it like オーシェ... ("Aussie" is usually spelled オージー, even for that type of philodendron.) Looking at it again, there are a few other pages that spell it like that, so it could be what the Denjuu name came from. :O

For Gamuru, yeah, it would make more sense if it was Garumu. ._. "Gumuru" seems like it might work though. Maybe they got the two mixed up? :/ I dunno.

For Togeruka and Kiyoruka... None of the evolved Denjuu are named after plants, so the names probably come from japanese or english (I think). I was thinking the ~ruka ending might have something to do with it being a squirrel, but I don't know. >_< I guess it might just be there to make it sound more name-like...
If the monster named オージー, it will remind Australia for us too strong.
Anyway I saw the name オーシェ in several gardening site and "Don't let cat eat this plant." site.
So, It looks like familiar name among common people, not academic.

And Gamuru/Garumu, Actually, they both are famous as a character name on Fantasy novels.
I couldn't pick up real plant name from there.
a lot of JRPG or that type fictional monster/person have shared this name.
Somewhat the name reminds me Wolf thing. Asian god??? I don' know.

When I heard "キヨールカ" first, I reminded "きよらか"="Holy".
And...ポルカ、トーチカ、マトリョーシカ... The words ended "KA" reminds me Russian thing.
Northern Japanese were influenced by Russian.
At last, they are closest neighbor. Japan is denying through. lol
(You know Pokemon DPt, the Pokemon League exist on Russian islands.lol)