Viburnum and Viburnum.

Discuss anything about the wonderful GBC Telefang games here!
Kimbles(imported)

Re: Viburnum and Viburnum.

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

I'm not really sure how it'd be a pun...XD Maybe they just liked the name so much they wanted to use it twice?? :D (Or more likely, they just didn't care.)
Diamond(imported)

Post by Diamond(imported) »

maybe it wasn't on purpose !
There's a lot of plants and names, maybe they mixed things up ?
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Gamazumi sounds like the best option.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Hmmmmm, just reread this topic after my comment in the other one and the nezumi pun makes me lean towards Gamazumi now... :<
KenjutheDenjuu(imported)

Post by KenjutheDenjuu(imported) »

I just noticed in the definitive name translation topic that someone thought one of the Viburnum's might be called Beavurnum because one of them looked like a beaver? I think Bibaa can also translate as Beaver, although i'm not certain...I was sort of thinking how the name Bibarel was translated since it was similar.
MefistaCenobica(imported)

Post by MefistaCenobica(imported) »

maybe offtop,but I think they share name because they are the same denjuu before and after some "experiment" [rat's Description say that experiment made him something Sanaeba wanted].Since denjuu are not ordinary creatures,they can change shape drastically,I think.
SougonNaTakumi(imported)

Post by SougonNaTakumi(imported) »

Hmm. That's a very interesting idea, but if they were supposed to be the same Denjuu, wouldn't they just have exactly the same name? That's what happened with Telefang 2. Whether "Beavernum" (Bibaanamu) is really that beaver-like or not, though, I think it looks much too different from Biburunamu for that to be the case. I always thought it was just the ferocious mouth on its back that was due to an experiment, actually (but where are the ordinary white cartoon lab rats, if that's the case? Ah, whatever).

Personally I don't think we should just go find an unrelated word even if it does mean the same thing, because that's not much better than some of the bad "name mondogreens" of sorts I proposed a while back (shudder). I think we should at least use something that's pronounced close to the same to be true to the original, and let the fans confuse them at their peril. I mean, why can't they just be similar?

(♪Biburunamu, Bibaanamu... Abirasu, Anjiosu... Obana to Panpasu, chigaiwakaru? ♪)
^ Uh, parody of the Pokémon "Docchi Nyo" (Which One Is It?) song for those who didn't get the joke. XD

I think I was the one who suggested "Beavernum" as a name because the one with a flat tail was using "biba" (beaver) as an adverb (he made it into bibatto; a lot of adverbs like kitto, zutto, gutto, and sotto end with that same "っと"). Technically, "beaver" is usually written "biibaa" (this is what Japanese Wikipedia uses), but I think they made it Bibaanamu because it just sounded cooler and easier to say than Biibaanamu.

So, considering that I get strange notions and really can't be trusted to be right, I won't say that I'm 100% sure Beavernum was what was intended (like I said, I get weird notions no matter how much Japanese I study and how many mistakes I make), but I'd personally back either Beavernum/Viburnum or Viburnum/Vivyrnum (Vibyrnum, Vivernum, whatever misspelling looks the best) for the two rather than picking Kalina or Gamazumi or something, awesome as they sound. I think there had to be some good reason for them being that similar.

But I guess if it's going to be Gamazumi and that's what's best for the project, that's what it's going to be, and I won't dispute it if everyone's happy with it. It's an okay name. (shrug)
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Really, I just think they were looking through a list of plants and saw bibaanamu and biburunamu and thought they were two different names. :/ Maybe they thought one was the scientific name and one was the common name, or something, and didn't realize they were both kana-fied from the same english word... See also Bubaria and Bouvardi (which are both from Bouvardia), Telopea and Waratah, etc. XD Clearly they have no issues with using multiple names for the same plant so long as they sound different, so I don't think there was any intention behind it...XD

Anyway, I personally don't like Beavernum because it doesn't look that much like a beaver to me (it's more of a squirrel), and also because I want to keep the Denjuu with plant names as pure plant names. *shrug* Plus I'd rather have #031 (bibaanamu) stay as Viburnum, since it's the first one that shows up in the list and the game, so it's the one I associate the name with more...XD

(I actually went with Gamazumi because it made me think of nezumi/rat, so I'm glad someone else got that too. :D)
SougonNaTakumi(imported)

Post by SougonNaTakumi(imported) »

Yeah, I suppose I'd known there were other Denjuu that did that, though I hadn't noticed the Bubaria/Bouvardi one as much; I'll give up the case.

Yay, now I'll have to go investigate what "bibatto" really means... XD
telefangfan(imported)

Post by telefangfan(imported) »

gamazumi or viburnum and vibarnam