List of bootleg glitches

Discuss anything about the wonderful GBC Telefang games here!
Milnivri(imported)

Re: List of bootleg glitches

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Blaziken257 wrote:- The game won't load a save. Depending on the emulator, selecting "Contin[ue]" when you have a saved game will either cause the game to freeze entirely (which means you can't do anything until you reset the emulator) or act as if there is no saved game. The problem is NOT the saved data; the bootleg just can't load it. Interestingly enough, if you save on Diamond, then play Power and import the save (possible with VBA), it will load the save fine, except everything has weird nicknames.
They have wierd nicknames in japanese katakana, which is a because the tiles in the Engrish version is different from the Jap one. For example Gumi becomes Mu-a-ra-mo (ムァラモ) and each syllable is a tile in Japanese. So we can conclude that ム (mu) is G in the tiles. Etc.

I prefer to play in the bootleg because I'm more comfortable in English, although in Power you can get more stuff, like the secret denjuus etc. but cant import back into Diamond :(

BTW you cant import from Power into Speed
Typhlosion(imported)

Post by Typhlosion(imported) »

It is possible to load a save state from Diamond into Power and back, although for certain versions of VBA, you may have to transpose two bytes of either ROM. Apparently the name was corrupted when the game was "translated." I'm using this fact to piece together the cipher of Latin letter and kana tiles right now.

Also, I came across a Chinese bootleg of Power. It had the same sorts of edits: no name entry, no company logos on boot, and basically the exact same title screen. This particular version, however, has even more glitches than the English one; the game crashes whenever you get a Denjuu's phone number, meaning that it's impossible to ever get past the opening sequence.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

I downloaded a Chinese version once but it sounds VERY different from the one you have. On the one I have, the title screen has a weird-looking Pikachu. And there IS a Smilesoft logo, the ability to save, and I was able to get a Denjuu's number. One VERY weird thing, though, is that you sometimes see gibberish... with Western letters. And yes, it has the same ugly font too. But usually, it's in Chinese, with large letters.

And I can't seem to load save states from Diamond to Power. I can however, load battery saves from Diamond to Power. With the version of VBA that I have, it doesn't load save states if the header doesn't match. Maybe I can hack the header so that it does work. And if it does, I can probably make it so that I can resume a save state from different versions of VBA!
Typhlosion(imported)

That's what I meant; the official game identifies itself as "TELEFANG PWBXTJ" while the bootleg identifies itself as "TELEFANG PWBTXJ". How that happened is anyone's guess. To fix it, you just have to change the bootleg's values at 0x000140 and 0x000141 from 54 58 to 58 54.

And it amazes me that there are so many variations of Diamond out there yet Jade ROMs are nonexistant.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Yeah, that's annoying. Why the header was changed was beyond me.

And someone ought to dump Jade... er, never mind. Actually, I know of a crude way to play Jade, but it still has the ugly Diamond title screen, the text on the phone menu screen is garbled, and it still has every glitch from Diamond, but it's playable otherwise. It involves using a patching program...
Typhlosion(imported)

Let me guess: make an IPS patch of Speed's differences from Power and apply it to Diamond?

Because that sounds like it would be even glitchier than Diamond is to start with.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Pretty much. You have to make the patch from POWER to SPEED for it to work. The only glitches that it has that Diamond doesn't are the two I mentioned -- the title screen and the phone menu screen. Everything else is as functional as it is in Diamond.

By the way, here's a screenshot I whipped up a long, long time ago.

(ignore the font -- that is completely unrelated. That's ANOTHER patch that I made myself)
Typhlosion(imported)

With your font patch, I see.

Shame these games never got a proper localization, leaving us to fiddle around with ROMs.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Yeah, it was with my font patch. I hate that old font with a passion... it ruins the feel of the game. That ugly font wasn't even in the original version of Telefang (not surprising, really), so I don't feel bad about changing it.
LiamBrady(imported)

Post by LiamBrady(imported) »

When I battled Gipusofi, the game suddently crashed and I was back to the Start Screen.
Hurray! <_<