List of bootleg glitches

Discuss anything about the wonderful GBC Telefang games here!
Blaziken257

Re: List of bootleg glitches

Post by Blaziken257 »

Since the bootlegs were poorly tested, I may as well make a list of weird things in the bootleg.

- The game won't load a save. Depending on the emulator, selecting "Contin[ue]" when you have a saved game will either cause the game to freeze entirely (which means you can't do anything until you reset the emulator) or act as if there is no saved game. The problem is NOT the saved data; the bootleg just can't load it. Interestingly enough, if you save on Diamond, then play Power and import the save (possible with VBA), it will load the save fine, except everything has weird nicknames.
- Dialing secret Denjuu will cause the game to crash.
- Selecting "Prop" when you have no items causes the game to crash.
- Pressing A+B+Select+Start causes the game crash (this is difficult to do on an emulator anyways unless you map multiple buttons to one key).
- Pressing Start (or was it A?) after the Game Over screen causes the game to crash.
- Rapidly pressing B somewhere in the phone menu screen sometimes causes the game to crash. I think it has something to do dialing the phone and backing out of it, but I can't seem to replicate it.
- You can't name yourself; you are automatically named "Bek."
- You can't nickname Denjuu; they are auto-nicknamed. If a Denjuu's name is more than 6 characters long, it is shortened to six characters. Additionally, Ranbrage has the odd nickname of "o".
- Color palette is glitched in intro (see image: http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=kdtpwrpkdiagu8.gif)
- Can't create tunes (all you hear is nasty screeching, and is unusable)
- Supposedly there is some Liz Island glitch, though I've never seen it
- Supposedly you can't pick up vases after you shut off the power, which is weird given that you can't even save
- When playing in monochrome mode, title screen is invisible until you press Start, where it darkens at that point.
- When playing in monochrome mode, the letters in the phone menu screen are darker than they should be: http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/6741/po...ndup1c22ac3.png
- Credits are removed, and just has a modified "THANK YOU FOR YOUR PLAYING!" text.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

I've gotten a lot of questions about the Liz Island and vase bugs, so I assume they exist but I haven't seen them. Supposedly it's possible to get stuck on Liz Island, though I'm not clear on when/where it happens. I think some of the cartridge versions can save so I guess that's where the vase one comes from. I dunno, I got a pirated version of Speed off eBay (yes, Speed, not Jade) and it can't save but that's probably due to a bad battery. I bought it knowing it was fake (the sticker looks bad and it's a grey cartridge, not black) hoping I could test gameshark codes on it.. but it's so poorly made it won't fit in the gameshark. Even if I tape it in. Ergh.

Also, they cut the end credits out of the translation.. after you beat the game, it just fades out for a sec, then back in. Well, at least the original creators aren't associated with this bugfest of a hack e__e;
myrle(imported)

Post by myrle(imported) »

I vaguely recall one version of the Diamond rom where the most amount of money you could have was around 16,535 or some weird number like that.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

RacieB wrote: I've gotten a lot of questions about the Liz Island and vase bugs, so I assume they exist but I haven't seen them. Supposedly it's possible to get stuck on Liz Island, though I'm not clear on when/where it happens. I think some of the cartridge versions can save so I guess that's where the vase one comes from. I dunno, I got a pirated version of Speed off eBay (yes, Speed, not Jade) and it can't save but that's probably due to a bad battery. I bought it knowing it was fake (the sticker looks bad and it's a grey cartridge, not black) hoping I could test gameshark codes on it.. but it's so poorly made it won't fit in the gameshark. Even if I tape it in. Ergh.

Also, they cut the end credits out of the translation.. after you beat the game, it just fades out for a sec, then back in. Well, at least the original creators aren't associated with this bugfest of a hack e__e;
There's a bootlegged SPEED out there? That's news to me. Sounds really weird. Usually bootlegs are poorly made, so that's probably why it can't fit in a GameShark. Thankfully, though, VisualBoyAdvance has a built-in GameShark which works almost the same way. (I say almost because when you turn off the codes, it somehow remembers what the bytes you edited were before and changes them back, whereas on a real GameShark it doesn't do that depending on the situation... which can be really annoying.) So you could probably test your codes there.

And bad batteries? That's another common problem of bootlegs... I think they are cheaply made. So that the bootlegger can make a profit. The batteries sound like they're a lot worse than Pokémon G/S/C...

And as for the end, I thought it was really stupid... THANK YOU FOR YOUR PLAYING! Interestingly enough, this quote is also in the Japanese version (except without that weird spacing in the word "FOR" and with a different font... see image: http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=k...fangpowce7.png) So the Japanese version already has Engrish to begin with :P Though, it actually has CREDITS... which means you can hear more of the really awesome ending music. That reminds me... it seems that the bootlegger(s) wanted to remove all evidence that Smilesoft/Natsume originally made it... this is further emphasized by the fact that the game instantly starts on the title screen without all the logos. The title screen doesn't even have any copyright information!
myrle wrote:I vaguely recall one version of the Diamond rom where the most amount of money you could have was around 16,535 or some weird number like that.
Heh, seems that these bootlegs are inconsistent. 16,535 is awfully low... good thing making money is VERY easy.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Blaziken257,Dec 1 2007 wrote:And as for the end, I thought it was really stupid... THANK YOU FOR YOUR PLAYING! Interestingly enough, this quote is also in the Japanese version (except without that weird spacing in the word "FOR" and with a different font... see image: http://img300.imageshack.us/my.php?image=k...fangpowce7.png) So the Japanese version already has Engrish to begin with :P
Not only that.. it's in the sequel as well! XD

EDIT:
Oh, something I almost forgot that was left in the translations, surprisingly.. the prize you get for obtaining every Denjuu:

http://telefang.meowcorp.us/fullmondexprize.PNG
"Denjuu Picture Book Complete! Congratulations!"

You can get it after you beat the game if you use the gameshark code for filling the book (since doing this normally in the bootlegs is impossible.)
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

O_o Are you serious? The second game has it too? Seems that Smilesoft never noticed it was badly translated. Now I think that even if the Telefang games were officially translated, it wouldn't be much better than Diamond/Jade (though probably less glitchy). Oh, and why is it even in English in the first place? It's a Japanese game, so wouldn't it make sense if it was in Japanese? (Actually, I noticed that with a lot of Japanese products... which is really weird IMO.)

And that's weird how the second thing was left untranslated. Just like the icon when you select Denjuu to battle. Or when linking with another game. Guess the bootlegger(s) never noticed that.
xRovielx(imported)

Post by xRovielx(imported) »

- You can't go back to Liz Island for the second time because the doors in Palan are closed and won't open
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Yeah, for some reason that doesn't happen to everybody. It's not the first time I've heard of that glitch, but it has never happened to me. Or RacieB. Weird... O_o
Sora444(imported)

Post by Sora444(imported) »

Lets sticky this so Noobs can read it alright?
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Blaziken257 wrote:
- Pressing A+B+Select+Start causes the game crash (this is difficult to do on an emulator anyways unless you map multiple buttons to one key).
This combination are the "restart keys", most of the games (on GB(A) and DS) restart upon pressing this. Anyways, well done!