So, just how is this game different?

Discuss the little known GBA sequel to Telefang here!
Zephyr(imported)

Re: So, just how is this game different?

Post by Zephyr(imported) »

I picked up a ROM of TF2 because I wanted to see how it played, and whether it had the same charm as the original. I'm enjoying it greatly, and I like the graphics a lot. ^^ (They're better than the Pokemon advance games!) However, I'm not completely adapted to the battle system, and I have a few questions about it.

1. How does the typing system go? Is it the same as in TF1, with hill->sky->wood->lake->sand->land->hill, or is it different somehow?
2. What exactly is the friend Denjuu thing? Occasionally, before a Denjuu attacks, its friend will arrive for a second and attack, then the Denjuu itself attacks. Is there any way to predict when the friends arrive? Also, is there any way to change the attacks that they (the friends) use?
3. Why do so few Denjuu give me their number? D: It seems to be totally random, which is rather annoying. Is there anything I can do to increase the likelihood of it happening?

Also, this applies to TF1 as well: What does friendship do, and are there any benefits to increasing it?
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

1. They changed the type system up. Denjuu still have all the old types, but their attack types are different now. The effectiveness goes approximately like so:

HILL
+ Water, Machine
- Flame, Wind
SKY
+ Rock, Thunder
- Water, Machine
WOOD
+ Flame
-
LAKE
+ Wind, Water
- Flame, Rock
LAND
+ Flame, Wind
- Thunder, Rock
SAND
+ Thunder
- Machine

I haven't figured them all out, er.. but that's the gist of it. I might've gotten Sand messed up XP Also, in the english patch, the "it's okay" or "it's bad" messages are the opposite of the actual effects..

2. The friends appear randomly and use the first attack in their list. No way to know what friend a Denjuu has before you get their number unfortunately (unless of course it happens to show up while you're fighting them.)

3. You can encourage Denjuu to give up their phone number, by throwing items that match their type at them. If a thrown item looks good to them, an "!" appears above their head. I dunno if more items equals a better chance, but when there's one I really want, I throw a ton of stuff >__>

I'm pretty sure that Denjuu with low Friendship start leaving you whiny voicemails, and eventually you lose their phone numbers. However, because time doesn't pass the same way on the roms like it would on the actual carts, I've never seen this actually happen.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

- Yeah, I noticed that the English patch has "It's good"/"It's bad" mixed up. And what in the world does "THIS TECH WEAK!" mean?

- There's actually a more accurate list on GameFAQs.

- I'm pretty sure the English patch calls the sea-type "World" and sand-type... "Sea." Yeah. I noticed this when water-attacks are super-effective against... sea-types, and the FAQ on GameFAQs has an index of all the Denjuu and lists what type they are... so this is one of the things I fixed when I was hacking the game.

- I was wondering why some Denjuu disappeared from my phone number list! My Warata disappeared! Damn Warata... :( I don't think it does this in the first Telefang, however...

- Are you sure the cart even has a clock? When I played the original Japanese (not Engrish) Telefang on VBA, there was a clock, which kept up with real time. So maybe it's the game. And when I played Pokémon G/S/C on VBA, the clock was working on that too. And I KNOW you have VBA...
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

I mean, the time doesn't pass day-by-day while you're not playing the rom, the way it would on the cart.. it only passes while you're actually playing, so unless you leave the emulator on constantly running, it's not really going in realtime.

I think it was Sand types who got called World, although I'm super confused about that. I believe it was basically a mixup of sand = earth = world XP
lapeirousia19(imported)

Post by lapeirousia19(imported) »

Sparsa or Aakureto was called a 'world' type in the old patch.
I mean the patch with many spelling errors that Blaziken and Racieb fixed.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

That reminds me, I've only recently realized (yes I'm slow) that Telefang 2 doesn't have a realtime clock and just records how long you've played. Hurr! They still leave voicemails of course... I need to get to translating those probably, although if it's anywhere near the amount Telefang 1 had... god x__x
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Do any of the quotes have anything to do with curry? :P

And I realized a long time ago that it has no real time clock. Even on an emulator, the Japanese Telefang games had a real time clock, as do Pokémon. One thing I hate about VBA, though... the clock doesn't work right from 12am-12:59am.