Re: So I just got in contact with this awesome guy

Discuss the little known GBA sequel to Telefang here!
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

He calls himself Drakencarver and he owns a Telefang 2 bootleg.
drakencarver wrote:There is an english version of telefang 2 i saw a traded it off a friend expecting pokemon ruby,the thing was labeled with the ruby sticker but ended up being a bootleg of telfang 2,it was way better than ruby wich i got later,the translation
made me laugh on occasion
This is what he posted on Blaziken's YouTube video. I contacted him right away, asking about the bootleg. He sent me back an e-mail:
drakencarver wrote:Hey Sanky

I got this bootleg about four or six years ago from a guy I knew in high school,sold it to me for 250 rand(erm I think that's a bit less than 25 dollars right now)and threw in pokemon gold.Told me he had played them through.
Now had just recently gotten a gameboy ds at the time mind you so I jumped the opportunity to get a pair of working second hands rather than spending double that amount for one lousy game at a store.

I knew nothing of the internet until a year after that,never been on it.

I realised early on it wasnt pokemon ruby but had only the opening screen as a description of what the game was called.
It was awesome though so I played it through.My DS is gone now ;_;
I still have cartridge though and its undamaged,I just dug it up from between all my old stuff.

The label on it says ruby ,the colours are slightly misaligned like youd expect from cheap bootlegs and it has this wierd pickachu "do not open" sticke on top,never did open it though.......my curiousity is tingling.......rather not damage it..

feel free to ask more

No prob
Drakencarver
He also supplied a picture of the cartridge (the paper reads sup gsanky, my email name).

I replyed again, asking if he remembers some details like Denjuu/Electric Monsters etc. But I thought you could ask something too, so post your questions here and I'll send them to him. (if he registers here, he could reply himself..!)
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

I knew somebody who had a translated version of 2 but apparently the names of Denjuu and humans were all changed (the storyline sounded correct though.) I wish I could find a romdump of that version x_x
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

I always thought the Telefang 2 bootleg was just a rumour.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Well, he replied again:
Drakencarver wrote:ಠ_ಠ Oh crap did i type DS as in nintendo? I meant SP as in gameboy advance.

In a week or two I might get my hands on my cousins old gameboy advance,Ill take a bunch of pictures.

They were called electric monsters,all of them had a "demon power" bar as well as health bar and both could be recharged with items or by visiting a dome,lots of attack names never made sense.
The word denjuu never came up even once as far as i know during gameplay.

main character is a blue haired kid,you have a gary oak type rival naturally.

Youd start off with no monster in a real world town,youd get some long winded story and about fifty bajilion presses of a button your character get to an antenna tree,like a big tree with a large door hole and a smaller tree inside,through wich theyd travel so that the kid/main character can go look for his dad.

The first monster you get is,I forget his name, a blue armadillo thing whom youd get to join you by taunting him enough
Your rival get a green elephant thing(both the monster show up in the pre game menu cinematic.
There are not many people in the world mostly non attacking monsters in all the towns,even the shops.
The monsters would walk around the non town areas on fixed paths,always the same circle or back and forth line,if you got it right you could run past them,or get trapped and have them walk into you in wich case the monster hops once and a battle starts.

In the early levels in the first monster cave after the first forest youd find this minotaur guy/monster youd battle him and all.
The same room you find him in is also one where some after game end/secret boss trainer guy is.
you would first have to have played through the storyline and defeated all the scattered (trainers?) that appear throughout the explored game world,i always missed the last one.

Oh and you use a cellphone as a method to check your monster library,and even change game music and talk to your own monsters

And if theres anything specific feel free to ask,im sorry if im not being too informant,I havent played the game in years.
Well let's wait 'till he has the pictures. Unaforently, he said it could be even a month or two...

EDIT: haha spelling; read that as unfortunately
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

There were a couple of people who said they had a "Ruby" bootleg. I can't believe that THIS game got bootlegged too with a Pokémon title. Isn't it enough that the first one was pirated? Geez, Smilesoft gets really bad luck...

Anyway, that description in the post above sounds very much like Telefang 2. I hope he comes up with pictures of it, I'm curious to what the translation is like. Is it possible that it was done by the same people who made the Diamond/Jade bootlegs? I mean, it calls the Denjuu "Electric Monsters"...
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Well, Denjuu means Electric Monster... Kinda what Pocket Monsters is to Pokémon...
garm(imported)

Post by garm(imported) »

Kinda what Sanky said, except the name 'Pokemon' was designed with a more Englishy name in mind since 'Pokemon' itself doesn't really mean anything in Japanese (and foreign sounding names seem quite common in Japanese anime and games), while 'Denjuu' is a more Japanese term that when left like that, English audiences wouldn't be able to understand (and it's not often you see something Japanese untranslated in English games).

If you don't understand, forget it. I'm not good at explaining stuff xD
Dino DragonX(imported)

Post by Dino DragonX(imported) »

B) Man they are rare and hard to find...............
candycourageous(imported)

Post by candycourageous(imported) »

I have this "ruby" version too
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Really?
Could you please post some photos?!