Re: Telefang 2 English Bootleg

Discuss the little known GBA sequel to Telefang here!
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Wow, good job!
My backup device is my DS. Using a homebrew program called GBA Backup Tool, which I loaded on my flash card, I made a "backup" of the game in the GBA slot. I tried it with a different game before (Megaman Battle Network 4) and it worked.
I don't have an original T2 cartridge to test dumping on, sorry...
I also don't have a GB backup device. Since the DS is unable to read GB games, I'd need a special device... I'd also like to dump my Jade.
As for the patch, I linked one for T1 to Pokémon Diamond Chinese, and I don't think it's illegal... It's a gray area too, though.

EDIT: By the way, just remembered. The GBA Backup Tool also has a 'trim' function, which is supposed to trim the overdump, but menu didn't work whenever I trimmed it or not. Seems like I uploaded the overdump, because I thought some of the extra data may be the cause/useful for correcting the dump.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Sanky wrote:Wow, good job!
My backup device is my DS. Using a homebrew program called GBA Backup Tool, which I loaded on my flash card, I made a "backup" of the game in the GBA slot. I tried it with a different game before (Megaman Battle Network 4) and it worked.
I don't have an original T2 cartridge to test dumping on, sorry...
I also don't have a GB backup device. Since the DS is unable to read GB games, I'd need a special device... I'd also like to dump my Jade.
As for the patch, I linked one for T1 to Pokémon Diamond Chinese, and I don't think it's illegal... It's a gray area too, though.

EDIT: By the way, just remembered. The GBA Backup Tool also has a 'trim' function, which is supposed to trim the overdump, but menu didn't work whenever I trimmed it or not. Seems like I uploaded the overdump, because I thought some of the extra data may be the cause/useful for correcting the dump.
On the subject of the "GBA Backup Tool" homebrew:
I have a copy of power version that I can use. Dumping my own GBA games seems like a good reason for me to get a DS.

Aggh! I could have gotten an R4 at the computer market if I knew. :'(
Oh well. I'll get one 4 weeks from now. In the meantime I'll go get myself a DS.

What version of the "GBA Backup Tool" homebrew did you use? For this to work I need the exact same setup as you.

On the subject of patch distribution:
Linking to a patch is quite legal. My only concern is that you said you didn't want this to be publicly distributed until the menu was fixed.

On the subject of gameboy rom dumping:
It isn't only Jade that I need dumped, it is my save for Pokemon Silver as well.

On the subject of the overdump:
I noticed that the fourth loop of data is corrupted at the very end (which turns the menu into a mess). The first three are exactly the same.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Yeah, alright. Post the patch.
I tested V0.1 and V0.21 of the GBA Backup Tool, and both resulted in the same ROM.
As for DS flashcards, I can recommend any M3 (I own a M3i Zero). Of course, it's your choice.
Hmm... I actually dumped the rom with friend's EDGE flash card. I should try it again with my M3, maybe I'll get different results.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Sanky wrote:Yeah, alright. Post the patch.
I tested V0.1 and V0.21 of the GBA Backup Tool, and both resulted in the same ROM.
As for DS flashcards, I can recommend any M3 (I own a M3i Zero). Of course, it's your choice.
Hmm... I actually dumped the rom with friend's EDGE flash card. I should try it again with my M3, maybe I'll get different results.
I doubt it makes much of a difference which card you use.

Also are you sure that they are exactly the same? Did you run a file comparison on the resulting roms?
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Yeah, I think so... But I'll check again when I get home.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

I managed to get a hold of an R4 card. Now all I need is a DS and I can get this working. :)
Tkallab(imported)

Post by Tkallab(imported) »

I don't think you can play .gba's on an R4 without extra hardware for slot 2. I know that's the deal with supercard...
Yeah, I was right... http://www.maxconsole.net/forums/showthread.php?t=69717
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

You can, however, dump them. DS software can't access GBA hardware directly, but only though the use of a slot-2 device. It can, however, access data on the GBA cartridge, both the ROM and the save (an official example is Pal Park in Pokémon).

By the way, awesome, Andwhy!
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Bad news:
I dumped the Japanese power version with GBA Backup Tool v0.21 and got a perfect 1 on 1 copy of what is floating around on the internet. This kinda defeats the original purpose of getting myself an R4 and a DS since I was looking for differences between the two files. :(

Anyone know of a good GBA debugger besides No$GBA?

Also I didn't see a trim function, it was done automatically. You may want to attempt dumping the game with v0.21 just to be sure.

Good news:
I dumped save data from my GBA carts. Oh and I have a bootleg of my own to share now. ^_^
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Aww. That's too bad \: I'll try to dump it again, alright.
As for the bootleg, do you mean the Pokémon Leaf Green one? If so, I'd love to see it!

EDIT: When using the dumper on my M3i Zero, it reports "This hardware is not available." and the DS turns off upon pressing A. |:
Until now, I never had any problems with homebrew on M3. I guess I'll have to borrow the EDGE again. (and M3 is supposed to be a better brand !)

EDIT2: Nevermind, I didn't see that you posted a topic about the bootleg.