Re: Breaking news: Fangs' Real Name!

Post things about the Telefang series, and aren't about a particular Telefang game here.
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

Ok. So.

Today I was looking at the Japanese Telefang website, and I found this:

When looking at the Japanese names on the picture, it struck me.
All this time, we've called Fangs, well...Fangs. Which is spelled FANGUSU.

But...this doesn't say FANGUSU. It says FANGASU.

His name isn't Fangs at all. It's never been Fangs. It can never BE Fangs. We've been wrong all this time!

His real name is... Fungus!

If you need proof, here's some random Japanese websites about fungus:

http://www.copyrights.co.jp/portfolio/character/fungus.aspx
If you look beside where it says "Fungus the Boogeyman" it has some Japanese. Compare it to the Japanese on the picture of Fangs. Identical!

http://wiki.ffo.jp/html/8296.html
This is a page talking about a game item called "Fungus Hat". If you look at the black text in the same line as "Fungus Hat" and ignore the last three symbols (they say hat), it's the same text again!

I know it's so weird to find out it's different after so long, but I guess it kind of suits him. And it makes much more sense, considering almost all the monsters are named after plants.

Someone's going to have to move the page and make a redirect on the wiki for this.
Zephyr(imported)

Post by Zephyr(imported) »

B-but I don't want to call him Fungus. D: He's not a mushroom. And he has fangs in the first place...

If that is the case, then what of its evolutions? Funbus? Funblade? Funburst? It just... doesn't work. <_<
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

Well, Fanbus and Fanburst don't really work in the first place. XD Though I will miss Fanblade.
Just think, though. Funmachine! Who wouldn't want a Funmachine?

It kinda works if you picture that he's kinda got...brownish rounded edges like a mushroom. Maybe he's squishy like a mushroom too. He's more cuddly as Fungus than he was as Fangs. XD

Aww, lil' Fungus.
Typhlosion(imported)

Post by Typhlosion(imported) »

Fangas.
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

Typhlosion wrote:Fangas.
In Japanese, they're pronounced exactly the same. Except Fungus is a real word, and almost all the Denjuu are named after real words. Especially plants. :o

Yeah, fungus isn't technically a plant, but fangas is less of a plant than fungus is. :/
Zephyr(imported)

Post by Zephyr(imported) »

Can't we just compromise and call him Fangus? It's smoother. And, well... when I hear fungus, I start thinking... moldy bread and athlete's foot. Eww.

Use Fangus, dude. Or just Fangs.
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

Can't use Fangs, it's just plain wrong.

You probably could use Fangus and call it a pun. But I mean...why?

It's pretty clear the name was intended to be Fungus, and using Fangus is basically just saying you don't like the name and want to use something different you like more. XD

I mean, if you're going to do that, why not call him Fluffy, or Robert? It's the difference between translating his real name or "dubbing" your own name in.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

DeKaFu wrote: Can't use Fangs, it's just plain wrong.

It's pretty clear the name was intended to be Fungus, and using Fangus is basically just saying you don't like the name and want to use something different you like more. XD

I mean, if you're going to do that, why not call him Fluffy, or Robert? It's the difference between translating his real name or "dubbing" your own name in.
It is quite obvious that none of the names held any meaning at all. Seriously did you think that Fangs is a fungus? Fungus does not have armor plating. Not all things translate perfectly between Japanese and English.

But the main point I want to make is that "Fangs" can be a localisation of the word "Fangasu" rather than the translation "Fungus", making "Fangs" a suitable localisation. Like how you use the name "Sue" in a translation and the Japanese name was "Suu".
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

andwhyisit wrote:

It is quite obvious that none of the names held any meaning at all. Seriously did you think that Fangs is a fungus? Fungus does not have armor plating. Not all things translate perfectly between Japanese and English.

But the main point I want to make is that "Fangs" can be a localisation of the word "Fangasu" rather than the translation "Fungus", making "Fangs" a suitable localisation. Like how you use the name "Sue" in a translation and the Japanese name was "Suu".
Sigh.
Okay, they might not hold meaning that's directly related to the monster, but they definitely have meaning. Check RacieB's site, almost all of them have name origins of English words.

Also, that's the point. "Fangs" can NOT be a localization of Fangasu, any more than "Sue" could be a localization of "Aruberuto". It's spelled different and pronounced differently from how you'd spell or pronounce "Fangs" in Japanese. The words are SIMILAR, like how the word "Bath" is similar to the word "Path" in English, but that doesn't mean you can use them as the same word.

Trust me, I've had years of experience with translating Katakana. There's not a lot of flexibility once you get to know the system.

If you want me to break it down, it's like this:
In Japanese, the same letters are always pronounced the same way.

A pronounced like the A in Father.
O pronounced like the letter O.
U is pronounced like the U in Tube, or not pronounced at all.
I is pronounced like the EE in See.
E is pronounced like the e in End.

Therefore, the word "fangasu" can ONLY be pronounced similar to "Fawn-gaw-soo"or "Fawn-Gaws".
This sounds a lot like the english word "Fungus". It sounds nothing at all like the english word "Fangs". Too many syllables, for one.

You apparently think Katakana is a lot more open to interpretation than it really is. Pronounciation is Katakana is everything. If you ignore the pronounciation, you translate/localize it wrong, and that's it.

I really don't mean to be rude, but you're just plain wrong. Completely wrong. XD
Sorry, this is a pet peeve for me.

edit:
Also, your Suu/Sue name example probably refers to localizing a Japanese name into an English name. That's different from this, where we're looking at an English name written in Japanese and converting it to proper English.
There's really a big difference.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

DeKaFu wrote:
andwhyisit wrote:

Sigh.
Okay, they might not hold meaning that's directly related to the monster, but they definitely have meaning. Check RacieB's site, almost all of them have name origins of English words.

Also, that's the point. "Fangs" can NOT be a localization of Fangasu, any more than "Sue" could be a localization of "Aruberuto". It's spelled different and pronounced differently from how you'd spell or pronounce "Fangs" in Japanese. The words are SIMILAR, like how the word "Bath" is similar to the word "Path" in English, but that doesn't mean you can use them as the same word.

Trust me, I've had years of experience with translating Katakana. There's not a lot of flexibility once you get to know the system.

If you want me to break it down, it's like this:
In Japanese, the same letters are always pronounced the same way.

A pronounced like the A in Father.
O pronounced like the letter O.
U is pronounced like the U in Tube, or not pronounced at all.
I is pronounced like the EE in See.
E is pronounced like the e in End.

Therefore, the word "fangasu" can ONLY be pronounced similar to "Fawn-gaw-soo"or "Fawn-Gaws".
This sounds a lot like the english word "Fungus". It sounds nothing at all like the english word "Fangs". Too many syllables, for one.

You apparently think Katakana is a lot more open to interpretation than it really is. Pronounciation is Katakana is everything. If you ignore the pronounciation, you translate/localize it wrong, and that's it.

I really don't mean to be rude, but you're just plain wrong. Completely wrong. XD
Sorry, this is a pet peeve for me.

edit:
Also, your Suu/Sue name example probably refers to localizing a Japanese name into an English name. That's different from this, where we're looking at an English name written in Japanese and converting it to proper English.
There's really a big difference.
Ouch. :( I didn't take pronunciation into account, I thought I understood how this works but I guess I only managed to make a fool of myself. :( :(

Answer one question though. Does the ingame text read Fangusu or Fangasu? The name Fangusu must have come from somewhere, typos aren't limited to English speakers you know. And I understand that Fangusu is most likely the typo rather than Fangasu, but if there is even the slightest hope that it can be Fangs and not Fungus I will grasp at it.