Re: Breaking news: Fangs' Real Name!

Post things about the Telefang series, and aren't about a particular Telefang game here.
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

Don't feel bad. ^^; It just takes a while to figure out the quirks of Japanese. Sorry if I sounded snappy. XD

I can't tell you what in-game says unless you can show me a screenshot (or wait until my game arrives next week), but I think the typo is 99.9% probably Fangusu.

For one, it says "Fangasu" on a piece of official artwork on the official site, and it would've been really really difficult for the makers of the website to miss it. XD Imagine the makers of the official Pokemon site spelling Pikachu "Pikamoo" on the main page. It'd be about the same.

Secondly, I decided to do a Google search using both Japanese spellings and see which one turned up more Japanese websites about Telefang.
"Fangusu Terefangu" only got 3 hits on google. Two weren't about Telefang, and the third was our Wiki. XD Oops.
"Fangasu Terefangu" got 8 hits on Japanese sites, including this:
http://www.enpitu.ne.jp/usr6/bin/month?id=65870&pg=200304
Random Japanese blog. Partway down the page:

So if Fungus is a typo, it's one they made on the official website and other Japanese sites, and the only place that got it right was our Wiki, which admittedly has a lot of mistakes with its Japanese right now. See how unlikely that is?

If you can find me a screenshot now I can tell you 100% ^^;.

Edit: Hang on! Found one!

From the official site. It's kind of small, but you can tell it says Fangasu and not Fangusu. Case closed!

The text there reads something along the lines of: Fungus attacks! Claw!
Maybe phrased a little differently. I'm bad at grammar. XD

In light of this, is it okay if I go edit the Wiki to change to Fungus? Considering him and his evolutions are all mentioned on many pages, it will take some work. I'll go ahead and fix the kana where I can find it.
Blaziken257

Post by Blaziken257 »

Wow... I can't believe this. It's Fungus after all this time? I kinda liked Fangs better... suited him better. He looks nothing like a mushroom, and he has... fangs! Plus if he was called Fangs, it would tie in with Telefang... But I guess it fits in with the plant theme. Oh well.

EDIT: And, uh, here's another one, just because I felt like it.

DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

Alright, I'll edit the wiki now.
Also:

This has the names of all of his levels.
FANGASU = Fungus
FANBUREEDO = Funblade
FANMASHIN = Funmachine
FANGUOO = Fungwar
FANGAISUTO = Fungeist
FANBUUSUTO = Funboost

I'll edit them as well.
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Aahh, so the "FUNMACHINE" -> "GAMEBOY" in the bootleg - case closed. They did not misread, they just... Mistranslated. Or, rather, were trying to be clever.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

DeKaFu wrote: This has the names of all of his levels.
FANGASU = Fungus
FANBUREEDO = Funblade
FANMASHIN = Funmachine
FANGUOO = Fungwar
FANGAISUTO = Fungeist
FANBUUSUTO = Funboost
Put "Fangs" in brackets after the name "Fungus" since alot of people are used to the name "Fangs" and would be horribly confused. Actually considering that the name "Fangs" is used by everyone and is known by everyone who plays telefang it is going to be difficult for them to start calling him "fungus", as with me. But seriously where did the name "Fangusu" originate from then?

Looks like I have to update that patch again. *sigh*
Well at least I have an excuse to finish those menu and currency names.
EDIT: And evolution names too! :D
DeKaFu

Post by DeKaFu »

andwhyisit wrote: Put "Fangs" in brackets after the name "Fungus" since alot of people are used to the name "Fangs" and would be horribly confused. Actually considering that the name "Fangs" is used by everyone and is known by everyone who plays telefang it is going to be difficult for them to start calling him "fungus", as with me. But seriously where did the name "Fangusu" originate from then?

Looks like I have to update that patch again. *sigh*
Well at least I have an excuse to finish those menu and currency names.
I think FANGUSU was a misreading/misspelling on RacieB's site, and it took off from there. It's an easy mistake to make if you're not familiar with Katakana, I guess. And most of our information came from there, right?

You have a good point about confusing people, though. I'll see if I can add a note to his page on the Wiki explaining the name confusion, and that he used to be known as Fangs.
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Wow. This is amazing.

By the way where did you get the evolution chart image? If it's from the Telefang website together with many others, perhaps we could use these images for the wiki (under evolution chain).
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Milnivri wrote: Wow. This is amazing.

By the way where did you get the evolution chart image? If it's from the Telefang website together with many others, perhaps we could use these images for the wiki (under evolution chain).
Look at the official art on RacieB's site.
Typhlosion(imported)

Post by Typhlosion(imported) »

Has anyone considered that it could be a pun?
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Typhlosion wrote: Has anyone considered that it could be a pun?
Be more specific, which could be a pun?