How did YOU find out about Telefang?

Post things about the Telefang series, and aren't about a particular Telefang game here.
Kid Sonic(imported)

Re: How did YOU find out about Telefang?

Post by Kid Sonic(imported) »

Seike wrote: I found out about Keitai Denjuu Telefang by just sticking to my old gaming schedule... I refuse to play "translated" games and I use to play two games a week, now that I don't have the time to stick to my old schedule (let alone play any games).

So when I got some games from Japan (from my aunt) I got a copy of Keitai Denjuu Telefang Power and Speed (with those copies I also got a red & green version pocket monsters too, I got a lot of trades since I had a "green" version so I was known all around the school >_> It also helped me out that I had a red version too since I traded with myself aswell). I found out about the bootleg because my friend had gotten a "Diamond" Pocket monsters, when I played it I recognized it as a bootleg and showed her Telefang.... She played Telefang insted of diamond since it saved.
I see.........
BrydoRX(imported)

Post by BrydoRX(imported) »

I found out about Telefang back in 2003 when it was known as "Pokemon Diamond", as a friend from school was playing it. I then came across it again two years later, again as its bootlegged version and I played its ROM (can't remember where I originally found it).

Then in 2006, I came across of what Pokemond Diamond & Jade were hacked from and it was Telefang, and then found out that it has a sequel via Wikipedia.
M3FTW(imported)

Post by M3FTW(imported) »

I found it from a ROM site. I was just getting into ROMs and I was looking for some games that were good, but I never heard of. I saw a Pokemon game I didn't realize (yes, it was the bootleg), and despite the fact that the guy that rates the games gave it a low rating, I picked it up. I was frusterated to learn that the save function was broken, but nonetheless, I couldn't figure out why the Pokemon company would not be making Pokemon like this, since 'Pokemon Diamond' was infinately better (at least a good deal more exciting) than MOST of the Pokemon games. So I searched for Pokemon Diamond on Wikipedia, and somehow I learned that it was, in fact, 'Mobile Electric Beast Telefang.' I didn't find Tulunk Village for a long time though, when I came upon a Telefang thread on... I think it was IGN or gameFAQs. I decided then that I HAD to join, since I already had joined the MOTHER community, and loved this game just as much as I did the MOTHER series.

I recently started Telefang 2, which I really like, as the battles are less confusing, and have helped me understand what was going on in the Telefang 1 battles (I have been playing it for a week or so... pretty much around the time I joined here).
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

So I just remembered why I called the game Telefang in the first place. I learned it from the ROM header, and THEN I googled Telefang and learnt everything, and that there is T2.
Sukori(imported)

Post by Sukori(imported) »

I found out about Telefang from the bootlegs. Since i'm a person who, when someone says a game is bad or stinks, I have to find out more, I started researching it and tried it out.

I find that the bootleg, while annoying to read, is quite fun, along with the real versions of Power and Speed :P

(when someone says a game stinks, I have to play it :P. For example, when Angry Video Game Nerd said Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde was bad, I played it. He was right xD)
StellarWind(imported)

Post by StellarWind(imported) »

Whooboy. XD

Well. It all started when I found out about the bootleg Diamond version through random dabbling in ROM sites ages ago in search of actual PokéMon games. I knew it was a 'fake', but I was curious. So I downloaded it anyway.

I remember my initial reaction being 'WTF? How did anyone think that this will pass as a PokéMon game? They're nothing alike!'. I could barely figure out how to even play the thing - It was mostly the translation that did it. But the game itself piqued my curiosity, and then I noticed that the game's title in the emulator had 'TELEFANG' in it.

This made me attack Google (or its equivalent back then... was there even Google at the time? o_O) and find out more about Telefang, including some official art. I was mesmerized.

Years later I found Telefang 2, downloaded it, and completely squeed about the graphical revamp. I drew some fanart and threw it on dA - through that picture I found Racie, who was the only other Telefang fan I ever ran into online at the time. And so I met one of the people I consider one of my best friends yet AND got re-introduced to a lot of the first game which I couldn't figure out and a few creatures that made me fall in love with the series again (Tulbaghia for the effing win.)

To this day Telefang is the most obscure fandom I have. ^^
Sookan(imported)

Post by Sookan(imported) »

i promised i would post here so here goes!

i actually had no idea about telefang back in the day. lol i'm not that old really.
we decided to go to spain for a holiday when i was about 10/11(18 now), and stayed at my aunt's villa. a boy was staying next door, he was about 13. i'd brought along my gameboy and we were bored, so decided to play pokémon for a while.

he told me that his mum said they were selling a new pokémon game down at the local spanish market. we went down there to find... yes indeed, pokémon diamond and pokémon jade in all their bootlegged glory, sold in their natural habitat.

when i got home i obviously realised that the game wasn't pokémon, but even so i really liked it. though the save wiped itself everytime i turned it off, it was a really good game and when the save didn't wipe, i had a lot of fun playing it. after i got home and was done, i pretty much forgot about it. it wasn't until i found out about emulation and roms that i remembered diamond and jade. i found them pretty quickly and played them for a while, but i still wanted to know where they came from. i did some research and found they were from a chinese game, badly romanized and bootlegged.

nonetheless the game was great in its own right, and thebootleg had turned a lot of people off from it which i found pretty sad. i found myself a (J) copy of the game and decided to play that through, which i am to this day trying to complete. finding walkthroughs is hard! i didn't realize it had a sequel until much later on, but i haven't tried playing through that yet.

yes, i do still have the jade & diamond cartridges, and the boxes they came in :).

that's pretty much it. i'm still a big fan of the franchise.. most of all though, i'd really like to see the battle theme put to better instrument, being one of my favourite melodies on the GBC.
darkmewham2(imported)

Post by darkmewham2(imported) »

I was on this lovely site many years back called Trsrockin.com. It had a section on bootleg games, which had information on the hack. Being many many years ago, I found the screenshots hilarious. So I got a hold on one of he roms later and began playing it... ripping sprites from it... and I love it still.

But I still haven't played all the way through it.
Gorm(imported)

Post by Gorm(imported) »

My first encounter with Telefang was 6 or 7 years ago when I found a cheap Pokemon game for sale in the Czech Republic. I had my Gameboy with me and could even look at the actual game before buying. That way I could see that this so-called "Pokemon Jade" was in German as I had hoped for (well, it's a mix of Engrish and similarly bad German) although I didn't get to play enough to realise that it wasn't anything pokemonesque.

Funny enough, I liked this game although it wasn't Pokemon. Or maybe rather because it wasn't Pokemon.
Luckily enough for me I didn't experience any glitches in the game (although I could not compare it to the real Telefang. I know now that there are the usual glitches) and I was perfectly able to save.

After some month of playing I got stuck in the game and searching the internet for help I found out that the game was no real Pokemon game (somehow it didn't strike me earlyer) so my hopes of getting a walkthrough or other help was severly diminished. Because of that I put the game aside and didn't play it again for years.

Last week, while searching for roms, something must have reminded me of this game from my childhood. I took it out of its case and googled for its title. This way I got to some website where I encountered the name "Telefang" for the first time. My interest in the game was reawakened and I tried playing it again. After all these years I was luckily still able to run the game properly and even load my old game (I did hardly hope for that after what I had read about these crappy bootlegs).

Today I'm proud to own a "Pokemon Jade Edition" and proud to be able to call myself a Telefang Fan (or is it called a Telefan?)
Sanqui

Post by Sanqui »

Hey there, welcome to Tulunk.

In Czech Republic, huh. I am Czech d:
A half-German version? Now that's interesting. Never knew that one existed. Poor game! First from Japanese to bad Chinese, then from Chinese to equaly bad English, and now you tell us about a German version! D:
It'd be awesome if you could get some screens!!

Nice story, anyways! Thanks!