Maps

Discuss anything that involves Wikifang, the Telefang Wiki, here.
Milnivri(imported)

Re: Maps

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

I need to ask this question:

When I create a map image, should it contain sprites, or just the background? Because sprites can move around, making their position unreliable... But if Blaziken ripped it from the game through TileLayerPro or something, then it's a different story.

Currently I have been using VBA's Map Viewer to rip the maps (square by square) and assembling them in Photoshop. This method does not include the sprites on the map, though.

So should it contain the sprites? If not, I have wasted lots of time.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Milnivri wrote: I need to ask this question:

When I create a map image, should it contain sprites, or just the background? Because sprites can move around, making their position unreliable... But if Blaziken ripped it from the game through TileLayerPro or something, then it's a different story.

Currently I have been using VBA's Map Viewer to rip the maps (square by square) and assembling them in Photoshop. This method does not include the sprites on the map, though.

So should it contain the sprites? If not, I have wasted lots of time.
You have not wasted time. If you want the sprites then nothing to worry about, but if you want the sprites removed it only takes a couple of minutes to copy and paste the floor tiles over the top of the sprites. I could do it right now if you want.
Milnivri(imported)

Haiz... I'm no good with hacking ROMs...

I guess... But anyway, I wanted to ask if sprites should be in the maps. Thanks anyway, andwhyisit.
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Milnivri wrote: Haiz... I'm no good with hacking ROMs...
I was talking about editing the map in ms paint, not hacking.

Just continue things how you are doing them and if you decide you want the sprites removed I will do it with very little effort.

A faster way to do things:
If you go to Options>Video>Layers and turn of OBJ in the VisualBoyAdvance Emulator you will notice that the sprites will disappear, use this to decide whether or not you are having sprites. Now if you look under the joypad config you will find that there is a setting for a "Capture" button, use whatever key it is configed to and it will take a screenshot of the current screen and save it in the same folder as the rom as [rom name]_[screen number].png, try it. But use it for future maps if you are going to.
LiamBrady(imported)

Post by LiamBrady(imported) »

You could open TileLayer Pro and edit all the sprites of the game.
Takes no time.
You just cover them in the background colors.
That way, it'll be no stress.
Milnivri(imported)

Erm, I've been using the Map Viewer to see the background, but I suppose all of you are talking about how to remove the sprites? The problem is that Blaziken has already uploaded a few maps with sprites in them, so I was wondering if sprites should be in or not.

SO I'm asking for opinions, not how to remove them... But thanks anyway...

EDIT: By the way, if you include sprites in, their locations might be inaccurate since they move.