Re: Names. :D

Discuss anything that involves Wikifang, the Telefang Wiki, here.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

I was just looking here:
http://telefang.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Den...5%AB_Telefang_1

...And was thinking, this is actually a great way for us to finally find properly romanized names for everything. (!!)

Most of the name meanings can be found on RacieB's awesome site here, but there's still quite a few missing or unknown... With the confusion that the bootlegs have caused, it would be awesome if we could fill in the holes and all agree on a single name for each denjuu, hopefully making the wiki the definitive list!! :O

So yes, to be clear, we'd be going off the japanese names, and ideally ignoring the bootleg ones.

So yes, I have some stuff to start with...

#21 Andiosu and #22 Dimunosu, after looking around a bit, seem to be named after Angiosperms and Gymnosperms (Thanks to my sister for finding those). You see, the di in both of their names is actually a pretty uncommon letter which, while usually romanized as di, still seems to be pronounced closer to ji, or G. *nod* Seeing as how the two denjuus are related, these names certainly match up pretty well. :D

So, that would then mean that Andios would more correctly be called Angios. This works quite well, since it still fits fine with the names of its evolutions, and makes it much easier to see the correct pronunciation. :D :D
Dimunos, along the same lines, would become Gymnos....presenting some problems, in that its next evo, #77 Dimureesu, would be something like Gymrace. It doesn't sound or look that good, so it'd probably be best to get creative here....You could try Gymurace/Gymunos, which is more pronouncable but still pretty weird, or just Jimurace/Jimunos, which sounds the same but is less correct and more normal looking. I'd avoid keeping Dimu-, though, since that's misleading where there's really no D sound. Even if there was, the Demo- prefix we're using wouldn't really work unless you pronounce your demons closer to demoons... ): *sigh*

So anyway, that leads to my last point which is that the katakana and romaji on the wiki page seems to be wrong in a few places. Dimunosu lists its katakana as Dimunoshi, from, what I am guessing was a typo, Dimunosi. Andiosu, too, is misspelled with a normal common ji instead of di... They're easy mistakes, but it's probably gonna mess things up....In the future, we should try to fill the list in with katakana as it looks right in the game, just in case. *nod* (After searching the internets I'm pretty certain that dimunosu is correct.)

So yeah, sorry if that was long and confusing, I really, really hope that some of you will be as interested in getting this finished as I am, honestly. D: If you do decide to help change some names on the wiki, it would be nice if you mentioned it here first, too, just to keep it organized. *nod*
Right then, let's go!! XD
Zephyr(imported)

Post by Zephyr(imported) »

That's a very interesting point about Angios and Dimunos (or whatever) that certainly fits with the plant theme for Denjuu.

We're pretty much going with Racie's decisions on the romanized names here, although I do agree that there are plenty that could be fixed up. Some ones in the romanized list that catch my eye as being kind of inaccurate and in need of reworking (The bootleg name is in parentheses):
-Myrtus ("Mierths")
-Noriutsugi ("Noriwuts")
-Monsutera ("Manstla")
-Sorghum ("Surugem")
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Myrtus is a plant genus.
Noriutsugi is a Japanese name for a plant (forget which at the moment.)
Monsutera is the Monstera genus.
Sorghum is a plant.
Kimbles(imported)

Yeah, those seem to be alright, besides Monsutera...*nod*

I've edited the page to fix some small things, feel free to comment...D:

#006 Monsutera --> Monstera
#014 Teropea ----> Telopea
#021 Andios ------> Angios
#022 Demonosi --> Gymnos (I'm leaving it as that unless you guys prefer a different spelling, also fixed the kana and romaji for him and Angios.)
#024 Warata -----> Waratah
#026 Aringo ------> Ariago (Think it was a typo...)
#038 Drillarmo ---> Drillarmor (This too.)

Also I should probably mention our good friends #040 Kryptoarmor and #060 Kryptoraid...
Kuriputoaamu sounds closer to Kryptoarm, since armor would be spelled aama, like in Drillarmor. Also, arm as in arms as in weapons still makes sense, if you ask me..*nod*
Kuriputoraido would sound more like Kryptoride, as rai in japanese sounds like rye. Likewise, #059 Chamelide is spelled with reido, making it actually sound like Chameraid. Alright. D: These guys already have pages, too, so we had best sort this out soon...*nod*
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Well once you sort this name changing thing out can you post a list here because any changed names will have to be changed in my patch.
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Yea, good points. But bear in mind that Japanese can sound totally different from the real intended English romanizations. So, Kimbles, perhaps you could find some evidence (like Racie's reference to plants) to back up the change, and not be just based on how it should sound like.

I know it's going to be hard, but thanks for trying. :)
Kimbles(imported)

D: Well, that's the thing, in japanese and particularly in katakana, what it sounds like is all you get.

Each of Krypto's evolutions ends with an english word, so we're not gonna find any clues besides in there... For aamu, the only real english sound-alike would be arm, which, in the weapon context, makes sense because you evolve it by giving it a gun. *nod* Armor would make less sense, because to show that you would usually write aamaa, and if that was their intention they could easily have done it instead...*nod*
Likewise, raid, the english word, would be spelled reido if they wanted it, and in fact, this is used in the name of #059, kamereido or Chameraid. For Krypto, raido in katakana only really sounds like one english word, ride. Even my dictionary program agrees there, so it's not just me...! D;

While it's true that the kana sometimes doesn't match up (especially with the latin/etc. names), for simple english like these it's not really a problem..*nod* Worry not, I will surely exercise caution as I go. XD
Milnivri(imported)

Post by Milnivri(imported) »

Erm... Ok... Ask Racie...

But anyway... I don't know why, this time I feel more convinced... lol
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Kryptoarm makes sense, but I am not so sure about Kryptoride.