Gachaste! Dino Device (Red and Blue)

Discuss the Dino Device 1 games here.
Blizzardoom(imported)

Re: Gachaste! Dino Device (Red and Blue)

Post by Blizzardoom(imported) »

Lol, never knew that. XD
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Thank you for bumping this, it reminded me that I never uploaded a patch for the translation I'd been working on X__X

Keep in mind that I was the only person working on this particular patch, and I am neither an accomplished translator or romhacker, so it's not the greatest job ever (and is unfinished, at that.) I highly encourage anybody who can change the pointers to work on this game, as names aren't allotted a certain number of characters like Telefang (8) or Pokémon (5/10), but instead are stuck with the length they started at. This makes it pretty much impossible to rename things as simple text replacements, unless you abbreviate like crazy (which is what I ended up doing.)

So. Here's the patch for Red (I can't recall if I ever tested it on Blue or not, so feel free to try and see if that works.) DinoDeviceRedTrans.ips

Here is some examples of stuff that I did (and didn't) translate:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Blizzardoom(imported)

Post by Blizzardoom(imported) »

Hmm...well, All-in-all, it's not a bad translation. (Considering the fact that I can't translate OR hack very well ;3; ) I'd say that you got the basic features of the game translated pretty well, and I think someone around here knows about a text width hack for those annoying text limiters...or something similar. xD (also...if you would like to, can you PM me about some tutorials on how to do this stuff exactly please...?)
andwhyisit
Site Admin

Post by andwhyisit »

Can you please give me the address of the text that you can't find the pointer table for.

Also this really belongs in the rom hacking section.
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

Looks pretty good. XD And I agree, we should really make a topic in the rom hacking section.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Yeah, I suppose.. I mainly posted it in this thread because the original screenshots for it were shown off here in January '08 also I forgot we had a romhacking forum

Like I said though, if anyone else wants to take a crack at it, feel free. I haven't done any work on it in quite a while, and have too much other stuff on my plate right now to continue in the foreseeable future.
Asterisk(imported)

Post by Asterisk(imported) »

I just got and patched Dino Device Red, and I notice the translation's rather bare-bones...I need help on some core stuff, such as getting money or more Dino. I know that the happier a Dino is, the more money it will give (well, I think so anyway), but I don't know how to obtain the money. I only have my data in the dispenser, so it's just going to give me more turtles if I try to generate something, how do I get more data? And, lastly, when will I be asked to make a stadium, and how much will it cost?

Oh yeah, I forgot. My centaur-Dino is saying something about Shrooms, and you have those on your shop screen, but I don't know how to get them.
RacieB

Post by RacieB »

Lemme see if I can remember this stuff off the top of my head.. the drive I have all of my roms and things on kicked it this morning so I don't have access to any of this to check -_-

IIRC, you get money sort of like an allowance, what's-her-name (Nabyu?) gives you some every so often. You also get it by winning in the stadium.

To fill out more forms for the dispenser to use for Dino generation, save your game and go to the main menu where it shows all of the options (calculator, calendar, minigames, etc) and choose the Address Book, then just create more entries in it with whatever you like. Then when you go back into the main game you can pick those. There are special answers you can put in the form to generate the other types of Centaurus, those are here.

I can't remember when you're asked to build the stadium but it's after you make a few other things so make sure you aren't broke at any point I guess =x That is a game breaker, as I found out the first time I played.

Shops are weird and I honestly don't know what most of the items are for, I never got around to translating them past their names. If you choose to build a shop, it places a random one selling uhh.. food, equipment, or both. (I vaguely remember that there may have been a health item shop as well??) They seem to be randomly stocked, don't recall if they're randomized whenever you come in or on a timer. Food does... something, equipment is needed to make Devices.

Devices, btw, are mainly obtained by building a Factory. I translated most of that bit so it's fairly self-explanatory, but what you do there is show the dude one of your Dino, pick a price you want to pay, and he'll make a random Device for it. The more you pay, the better / more rare the Device will probably be (not guaranteed though.) The Device takes some time to make, and every once in a while progress will be halted and the guy will ask you for a specific piece of equipment to continue working on it. You can look at the progress on it if you talk to him; the further along it is, the more it will tell you about what the Device is going to be (whether it's a weapon or shield, etc.)
Oh, for the hell of it, I'll talk about the second easiest way to obtain Devices - capturing wild Dino. The easiest way to find them is to waste some time indoors, usually by doing two or three stadium fights, then walking outside. You'll often get attacked right away like this. The Dino that show up are pretty random but they do depend on the nearby squares (for example the Shellfish Dino such as Cetus, Scorpius, and Cancer will pop out of water squares, Ghost and possibly Birdy ones will pop out of empty holes.) When one runs up to you and attacks, you choose one of your Dino to fight it. The wild one's level is matched to whoever you picked, and higher leveled ones come with more equipment (which you may choose to keep, along with the Dino, if you beat them.)
Kimbles(imported)

Post by Kimbles(imported) »

If you run out of money you can also play the minigames on the main menu, they give you money though it's not very much...

There are 4 types of shop, medicine (pills), food (apples), items (blocks), and one that sells everything... Which one you get is decided randomly so you can change it by rebuilding it. Materials are used for making stuff in the factory. Food increases a Dino's... fullness...(?) and is specific to a certain type (each food is liked by a certain type and hated by a different one, you can usually tell which somewhat by the names). Medicine does stuff like recovering HP and improving stats for battles and stuff. D: I just read this from the books I have, I need to play the game more... ;_;

I could translate stuff like item and device names, if you guys could find a way to add more text space so we could use them. XD Even if we just finish the names and menus, that makes the game a lot more playable... *nod*
Asterisk(imported)

Post by Asterisk(imported) »

Thanks for the info! It helped a lot!

However, I think I found a glitch:

I just got this Dino, and decided to talk to it, and in the middle of talking, this happened. Does this happen in unpatched Japanese copies as well? If it helps, earlier in the text it mentioned the number 10.